XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Front Wheel Bearing Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing Procedure

Well, been searching the forum for many hours with very little luck.

1997 XJR

Know generally how to do front wheel bearing but need procedure when re-tightening the front axle nut on a 1997 Jaguar XJR. Don't want to over torque it but also don't want too much play. In my old days of american muscle cars I was able to adjust by how much spin I could give tire. Would tighten just enough to get tires to require effort to spin and back off a half turn and it was all good.

Could somebody tell me how to adjust the when doing the front wheel bearing replacement on my jaguar?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi. if you want to do it precisely you will have to use dial gauge.
The designated clearance is 0.025-0.08mm.

When not using the gauge, you can deal with it like this;

1. tighten the hub nut with spanner with rotating the hub. tighten it up until the hub stop rotating. it would be easier to rotate the hub with brake disc.
2. repeat that procedure a couple of times. then the hub bearings will "sit" in the position.
3. again tighten the hub nut with your finger. you can tighten it as hard as possible. then loosen the nut by approx. 5 degree.

It is too hard to adjust it by the torque. The procedure gives the bearing the correct amount of play. When you tighten up the nut fully, it means the bearings have 0 play. when you loosen the nut a little, you could give them a little play.

Sorry I am not good at explain this in English... Hope this helps

Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I'm sure that, technically speaking, Jaguar has an end-float spec for the front bearings. I've not heard of anyone using it. Seems like everyone just uses their own favored method.

I run the the nut down, gently, to seat the bearings and then back off until I can just feel some play at the brake rotor...then take it down incrementally until I've just "nipped" the free play down to zero....and not an iota more.

After installing the castellated retainer thingy and the cotter pin, I tap down the castellation tips so they actually bear against the cotter pin. I find that this helps keep things from loosening up.

With the tire installed I can feel just the merest trace of free play if I rock the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock.

Do you have the hubs apart ? Have you done battle installing the new grease seals?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Japthug
Sorry I am not good at explain this in English... Hope this helps

I think you explained it perfectly well :-)

I think most of us use slight variations of the same method, as evidenced by these postings.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Default Many Thanks

Many thanks for the responses. I was not aware of the "seating in" necessary. I had done the wheel bearings and seals last year but it always felt like they loosened up.

Based on the responses, they did in fact loosen up or seat in. I had re-tightened once before and it seemed to resolve it but I did notice that on really hard turning, I had a bit of a clunking on one side so assumed I had done something wrong and now I know.

Will give it a go this afternoon and should have it resolved now that I know bout having to tighten-loosen a tad-tighten again.

Again, many thanks!!

Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Default Funky Clunky Sound

Thanks again for the responses. Finished the wheel bearings and everything seems just right. Good tight steering. Nice straight braking. Like new.

But...... Still have a wierd sort of clunking sound when slowing and making hard left turn at the same time. This sound was there before maintenance of the wheel bearings and it is still there after. It definitely comes from the front right wheel area but I am now conviced it is no longer a wheel bearing issue. Those are new and thanks to some help from the folks here, properly adjusted now.

Basically when I am making a significant left turn while allowing the car to decelllerate on its own naturally through the turn, I hear a "clunk clunk clunk" sound and feel it in the steering a small amount (almost hard to pick up). I have done a visual and don't see where it could be coming from. The shocks are brand new. Funny thing is it doesnt happen when accelerating through the turn, only slowing. Not sure what to check next and will take all suggestions.

If it were my corvette, I would know immediately that it is a ball joint or tie rod but not sure about this one as those all look to be in good shape.

Oh yeah, it only happens in the right front wheel on a left turn at speed not the other way around.

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Anti-roll bar bushings, or the bushings on their connecting links.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I think you explained it perfectly well :-)

I think most of us use slight variations of the same method, as evidenced by these postings.

Cheers
DD

Thank you Doug, I found several grammar mistakes now though

Old 05-29-2011, 03:41 AM

>Funky Clunky Sound

In my experience, these might be the causes;

1. wheel nut failure
2. stub axle is scraped because of the little play of the bearings

>1.
When you don't tighten the nut in the proper torque, the nuts sometimes make a noise.
Or someone might have tighten the nut with an improper tool like impact wrench in the past, the nut covers got loose and make a noise too.

>2.
If you tightened the bearing nut too tight before, the bearings might have stop rotating and the inner collar of the bearing scraped the stub axle.
This could end up in a backlash of a hub.
I attach the picture of the failure stub axle of mine.

This means, I once failed in adjusting the bearing clearance

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Default Clunk

Thanks. Will check out the roll bar bushings. When I did the wheel bearings, I checked the stub axle and it looked perfect. I was able to get the wheel bearings adjusted just right based on everyone's help.

Let you know about roll bar bushings.

THANKS!!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Default Thanks To ALL!!!

Well, want to thank all who helped with the bearing procedure. Bearings doing quite nicely. Did finally discover the clunk. Turns out upper control arm bushings on passenger side are done in LOL. Will be fixing them this weekend (maybe tomorrow if I can get the bushing locally from a European parts place near me).

Should be fun . Luckily I have spring compressors and lots of patience.

This forum is "da bomb"!!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

LOL, I am happy for you
It's lovely to hear your jag will be riding as it should

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Okay, so now I am completely baffffllled LOL. Just finished the upper control arm bushings. Really like the design with the whole 2 peice idea. Easies upper control arm bushings I have ever experienced.

Now, the baffffllled part. Th bushings were definitely bad and was thinking they were the culprit in the whol "donk donk donk" sound when I make a hard left turn while decelerating. But no such luck.

Still have the noise but only when making a hard left turn while decelerating from about 25mph. If I power through the same turn from 10mph and accelerate, no such noise so now I am confused.

Got new wheel bearings, and new upper control arm bushings. Everything appears tight. When I try to wobble the wheel while car is jacked up, there is no give like I would expect for a ball joint or lower bushings.

Taking any ideas LOL.