XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Gearshift Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Gearshift Adjustment

Now that we have fixed the major fault with my X300, thanks to the combined heads of everyone here!!! I have discovered one or two other loose ends.

My gearshift indicators are not staying lit properly and it is affecting engine RPMs at least in Park. I notice that as the red P lights up with the knob in park the RPMs are at about 750 but as it falls into that notch in the shifter fascia the P light goes off and the RPMs drop to 650.

I sat in the car for over 2 hours last night as it idled and watched the fault occur again and again just from the vibration of the running car. The slightest wiggle would cause the light to go on or off, immediately changing the revs of the engine.

I put it down in Neutral and the N would not even come on, but the engine revved at a constant rate.

Now what do I do???

Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check this thread and see if it helps:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45065

The following users liked this post:
JackJ (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Besides the info linked above you might want to research adjustment of the gearshift "linear switch". Or perhaps this weekend, if time and inspiration permit, I'll do some checking as I have a problem of my own.......

In my case the car will not start unless the "P" is glowing red. If it doesn't glow red I give the gearshift a jiggle until it does....and then the car starts normally.

The linear switch performs multiple functions. I suspect there's a tie-in to the engine managment system that is somehow causing your idle oddity.

Cheers
DD

JackJ (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Doug let me know what you find with the switch as mine is the same I have to move the lever to the lef of park and then down a tad(1/16") and the park light comes on and the car start up.. I'd like to fix that as it's on my bucket list to do once the weather warms up..

Thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default Linear switch adjustment

Originally Posted by Doug
Besides the info linked above you might want to research adjustment of the gearshift "linear switch". Or perhaps this weekend, if time and inspiration permit, I'll do some checking as I have a problem of my own.......

In my case the car will not start unless the "P" is glowing red. If it doesn't glow red I give the gearshift a jiggle until it does....and then the car starts normally.

The linear switch performs multiple functions. I suspect there's a tie-in to the engine managment system that is somehow causing your idle oddity.

Cheers
DD

Following up.....

On examination of the schematics I couldn't find any relationship between the linear switch and the engine management system. I'm not saying one doesn't exist....I'm fairly sure it does....but I couldn't find it.

Adjusting the switch was easy in principle but a little fussy in practice.

The service manual is confusing on this matter. The section for *replacing* the linear switch is immediately followed by a section on *adjusting* the linear switch....with the illustration of the former showing an entirely different part than the latter. Phhttt. So much for that. It also mentions an adjusting tool which is not required.

The linear switch is the black rectangular box on the right side of the gearshift held on by two posi-drive screws. Loosen the screws to adjust the switch by sliding it fore-n-aft until you find the sweet spot where the "P" reliably glows red when the gearshift is in "P". It's just a matter of some jiggling of the gearshift and adjusting adjusting the switch until it's just right. It's perfectly intuitive once you begin.

The tricky part is the posi-drive (similar to phillips, for those who don't know) screws. There is precious little room to reach them, even with an offset screwdriver. Several times I lost my switch adjustment while fussing around trying to tighten the screws and had to start all over. Frustrating.

I decided that hex-headed screws would be ideal for this purpose as an ordinary end wrench could be used for tightening without disturbing the adjustment. By either pure dumb Irish luck or divine intervention I had some tiny hex-head screws which fit perfectly. I dunno the exact size. "Tiny" is what they are.

Repeated exercising of the gearshift after reassembly resulted in a 100% consistent "Red P" in the indicator and faultless starting.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
imagineaudio (03-14-2011), JackJ (03-14-2011), someguywithajag (05-30-2017)
Old 03-14-2011, 02:28 AM

Thank you Doug, I am like you, I know there is a connection between there and the resultant RPMs, I'm just not sure what it is.

I will attempt this adjustment and report back. My R and N do not reliably illumine as well.

Is there any adjustment I am likely to need to do on the outside of the transmission housing as well?

I thought Irish Luck was Divine Intervention?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackJ
Thank you Doug, I am like you, I know there is a connection between there and the resultant RPMs, I'm just not sure what it is.

I will attempt this adjustment and report back. My R and N do not reliably illumine as well.

Is there any adjustment I am likely to need to do on the outside of the transmission housing as well?

I thought Irish Luck was Divine Intervention?

Since yours is a regular XJ6 (as opposed to my XJR) you have an additional "rotary switch" on the left side of the transmission. I'll research how it functions to see if there's a tie-in to the engine management system.

Cheers
DD

JackJ (03-14-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

The idle difference you notice is the change in idle control strategy the ECM uses going from a neutral gear to a drive gear. When in neutral or park one strategy is employed, and when the "P" goes out the ECM changes to the "in gear" strategy in anticipation of the expected load of a drive gear; consequently the idle goes up a little if it really doesn't engage a gear. In neutral the response is slowed way down to prevent "hunting".

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

JackJ (03-16-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 PM

I have realized that the car will consistently start in neutral no matter what. I tried to get into the adjustment to the right of the gear selector under the ski slope but I did not have the tool to loosen the screws in such tight quarters. I need some sort of L shaped phillips head to remove the blue box above the end of the cable.

Is this anything other than slightly aggravating? Will it continue to start in Neutral?

I guess I need a good picture of exactly how to adjust this cable so that my P lights up properly.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Jack, I'm not sure we're on the same page...

Are you trying to adjust the shift cable or the linear switch (black box, right side of gearshift mechanism)? or both?

You can buy an L-shaped screwdriver ("offset screwdriver") which makes loosening the screws possible.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 AM

Well, I'm not even sure what page I am on Doug

If I am to adjust the cable, I have to move the linear switch out of the way right??? I don't see another way to do it.

However, which is it that I need to adjust so that my lights/switches/gears are all correspondent? I noticed that also when I bring the gear selector around to 3rd, the three does not light up, but it is definitely in 3rd. I have to hold the knob forward a bit to get the 3 to light up.

Also, starting the car in neutral isn't going to cause problems is it???

This is all on my 95XJ6 btw.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm not even sure what page I am on Doug

If I am to adjust the cable, I have to move the linear switch out of the way right??? I don't see another way to do it.

That I can't answer as I never adjusted the cable

However, which is it that I need to adjust so that my lights/switches/gears are all correspondent?

In my case adjusting the linear switch did the trick. No other adjustments needed

Also, starting the car in neutral isn't going to cause problems is it???

Not that I can see, no.

Cheers
DD

JackJ (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM

You fellas need to understand that I usually don't get on here until late at night after I am worn out or first thing in the morning before I am entirely awake.

Doug, I just reread your post from several posts ago where you discuss the adjustment of the linear switch. I believe that was what I needed. For some reason I got into my head that I needed to adjust the cable underneath instead. If that linear switch is my key, then I am good. I apologize for confusing the issue.

Doug, do you think those are M4 over 7 screws? I may change mine to hexhead too. I will go into Harbor Freight this week and look for some kind of L shaped tool.

Thanks again for the help gentlemen. This car has been an adventure, but cool.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Sears have offset screwdrivers :-)

I couldn't tell you the thread size on the little screws, sorry.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM

I bought the screwdrivers, but haven't had a chance to make the adjustments we have discussed.

In the mean time temperatures have dropped from the mid seventies to the mid thirties.

NOW the indicators are all lighting up properly, PRNDD32 and it is starting in P with no problem.....

Why would this be affected by the cold outside?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

I bought the screwdrivers, but haven't had a chance to make the adjustments we have discussed.

In the mean time temperatures have dropped from the mid seventies to the mid thirties.

NOW the indicators are all lighting up properly, PRNDD32 and it is starting in P with no problem.....

Why would this be affected by the cold outside?

It's plausible, yes. Temp changes can cause strange things. I've never opened up the linear switch but I'll bet a dollar to a donut that it has some delicate contacts, solder joints, and solid-state gizmos inside. It's not unusual for such things to be temp sensitive.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Doug et al,

It took the replacement of the linear switch to solve my problem. Fortunately I happened to have one sitting on my shelf gotta love garage sale finds.

I popped in the new switch and it didn't matter where it was positioned, forward or aft, it works properly and the gears all illumine on time.

I disassembled the old switch, it was a simple matter of depressing the blue tabs and sliding it open. The small circuit board was warped and covered in years of dust and hair. Not mine, I'm bald. I believe the warpage caused the pin connections to be dicey at best. Who knows how the dust and hair affected it?

At this point all is well and I am awaiting Gallagher to get back to me with a green light bulb to illuminate the face of the gear selector at night.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starts in gear

New to forum. I just got a 1995 Jag xj6 Trans rebuilt (Beanch Built} Installed it, Every thing is ok but it starts in all gears. Need a Little help.THANKS I'm not trying to Hi Jack anyones forum posting
I really need some help on this one Im stuck. CASS WILLIAMS

Last edited by cass williams; 07-17-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Some one thinks im not serious about some help with this
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cass williams
New to forum. I just got a 1995 Jag xj6 Trans rebuilt (Beanch Built} Installed it, Every thing is ok but it starts in all gears. Need a Little help.THANKS
You should start a new thread, instead of "hijacking" on another