XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJ6 Brake wear identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile XJ6 Brake wear identification

Right now I do a visual inspection of the brake pads (while installed) to check for wear. Does the X300 have some type of audible or electronic wear warning system that tells you when the pads need to be replaced?

EZDriver 1995 XJ6

Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Not that I have seen- certainly no electical system.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Not that I have seen- certainly no electical system.
Ross, are you sure that that X300s don't have a PAD wear detector, even my 92 has this system, which is a pain because the pads are sold separately from the new wire connectors.

Although visual inspection is always worth doing.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Nope...no wear indicators of any kind on the X300. Just gotta take the wheels off and look !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to show my Bohemian approach to Jaguar maintenance- Although I check my brakes any time I get the wheels off for some other purpose, with ceramic or metallic pads, the rotors generally seem to be shot after the pads are worn. And rotors have goten absolutely cheap. So, since I am going to change the rotors with the pads, I don't sweat the possibility that the pads might just drag the rotors- Just my $.02

Last edited by sparkenzap; 07-14-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to show my Bohemian approach to Jaguar maintenance- Although I check my brakes any time I get the wheels off for some other purpose, with ceramic or metallic pads, the rotors generally seam to be shot after the pads are worn. And rotors have goten absolutely cheap. So, since I am going to change the rotors with the pads, I don't sweat the possibility that the pads might just drag the rotors- Just my $.02

GASP!

Pad dragger, pad dragger !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Thanks for setting me straight Doug. I wonder why they did away with the pad sensors on what is supposed to be a more advanced model?

Could it have been because at the time they just expected owners to have the car in for service every 6months?

Pad dragging, tut tut, never ever ever done this myself. Well not for more than about a month.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

No wear indicators in X300 ? LOL, I forgot this being an old X300 Owner
Thanks for reminding

Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I am going to show my Bohemian approach to Jaguar maintenance- Although I check my brakes any time I get the wheels off for some other purpose, with ceramic or metallic pads, the rotors generally seem to be shot after the pads are worn. And rotors have goten absolutely cheap. So, since I am going to change the rotors with the pads, I don't sweat the possibility that the pads might just drag the rotors- Just my $.02
Be very cognizant that most of those "inexpensive" rotors are manufactured in countries that don't have the same standards for metallurgic composition - there is a world of difference, in the long-run.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
Thanks for setting me straight Doug. I wonder why they did away with the pad sensors on what is supposed to be a more advanced model?

Could it have been because at the time they just expected owners to have the car in for service every 6months?

Pad dragging, tut tut, never ever ever done this myself. Well not for more than about a month.

I dunno why they dropped it. Those Jag guys do all sorts of mysterious things that I've never quite understood :-). Sometimes the search for explanation and understanding gives birth to urban legends.

I suspect, however, that it was merely penny pinching. Perhaps they thought that the electric wear indicator didn't really add anything to the marketability of the car: "Yeah, this is a neat feature but does anyone REALLY care about it? No? Ok, let's dump it". That type of thing.

It probably wouldn't take too much effort to list quite a few instances where Jaguar has reduced the "specification" on a particular model.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caldercay
Be very cognizant that most of those "inexpensive" rotors are manufactured in countries that don't have the same standards for metallurgic composition - there is a world of difference, in the long-run.

Which is something I've often worried and wondered about as metallurgic composition isn't something I know how to determine on visual inspection.

I've never bought any "Brand X" or "Plain box, no name" brake rotors. However, I've had perfectly good results with Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner, Lucas, Napa, Lockheed, and Brembo rotors...all of them very reasonably priced, $35-$70 each. My experience makes me reluctant to spend $150-$200 each on rotors.

Ten or so years ago I bought four rotors "on special" for less than $100 from Moss Motors. The boxes were labeled "Lockheed" as I recall. They certainly "seemed OK". That is, there was no problem or defect that I could discern. But in the back of my mind I DID have a nagging "this is too good to be true" and "what am I missing?" discomfort.

If I bought bona-fide, Jaguar labeled, OEM replacment rotors I would *hope* to get some higher quality in accordance with the (much) higher price....but how would I tell?

<shrug>

I'm rambling, not arguing, mind you :-)

It's very hard to know what you're buying these days what with all the label-swapping and ever-changing corporate parentage.

Just a few days ago I bought three brake hoses from three different vendors for a 1969 Camaro. All three were packaged in well known "name brand" boxes. All three were the *exact* same part right down to the codes numbers and color of ink used in the "Samsong" identification.

I honestly don't know if they are high, medium, or low quality. They fit, they work, they "look" OK. I reckon an inspection a few years down the road might reveal an answer. I dunno.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

It would be interesting to know of any bona fide failures on import rotors- such as cracking or other distortions. LIKE Doug, I generally go for a rotor with a brand name on it, but you have little assurance where any brand is made these days. The package is supposed to ID that, though.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello, guys, yep!!!! i work for NAPA, here in phoenix, az, put them on the fronts about 1.5 yrs ago and new pads, and lube everything with anti squeal stuff, noooooooo complaints here.... getting ready to change out rears here soon( maybe like oct or nov i est. lol still got about a 1/4 of inch left to go
geno
1995 xj6 184k on her