XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Head gasket options

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:15 AM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Head gasket options

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of replacing the head gasket on my '96 XJR. And I have come across some head gaskets. My concern is that why are some gaskets in the hundreds of dollars (especially that claim to me from Jaguar) and some can be had for less than $50 (I suppose these are after market types)

I don't know anything about head gasket types and I would like some help deciding which one to instal. Is it okay to just replace the head gasket with one of the several cheap ones from eBay or should I swallow the bullet and go directly to Jaguar?

I really do not wish to redo this job...It has already taken me forever to take all the junk off from the intake side

Thank you for all your help

Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Although I've rebuilt many car and motorcycle engines, I've yet to tear into the Jag. (knock on wood).

The reason for price disparity comes down to three different traits:

a) Brand name - if it's stamped with Jag or Mopar or BMW or Chevy or Honda or Suzuki, it will always cost more

b) Materials used - it's quite possible the Jag-spec gasket is constructed of special sandwiched materials that meet specific temperature and pressure specs , plus longevity of said materials.

c) More "stuff" might come with the Jag head gasket "kit". In other words, an aftermarket kit may ONLY consist of the head gasket , but with the Jag kit, it might consist of a number of other gaskets that need to be replaced, when a head is removed.

For example, I had to replace the left side head gasket on my '64 Buick LeSabre v8, yet the kit included both head gaskets, intake gaskets, carb gasket, exhaust gaskets, coolant neck gasket, valve cover gaskets, ad nauseum ...

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by caldercay
Although I've rebuilt many car and motorcycle engines, I've yet to tear into the Jag. (knock on wood).

The reason for price disparity comes down to three different traits:

a) Brand name - if it's stamped with Jag or Mopar or BMW or Chevy or Honda or Suzuki, it will always cost more

b) Materials used - it's quite possible the Jag-spec gasket is constructed of special sandwiched materials that meet specific temperature and pressure specs , plus longevity of said materials.

c) More "stuff" might come with the Jag head gasket "kit". In other words, an aftermarket kit may ONLY consist of the head gasket , but with the Jag kit, it might consist of a number of other gaskets that need to be replaced, when a head is removed.

For example, I had to replace the left side head gasket on my '64 Buick LeSabre v8, yet the kit included both head gaskets, intake gaskets, carb gasket, exhaust gaskets, coolant neck gasket, valve cover gaskets, ad nauseum ...
Thank you for your reply

a) True
b) Perhaps but when an after-market part claims to be an equivalent, isn't it a good assumption that it meets at least the minimum OEM specs?
c) The gaskets I came across are just one piece. So for example:

The one available from Jaguar:

Part no. NBC2520AB | Cylinder head gasket parts from Jaguar Classic Parts UK

And ones available from eBay or Jaguar equivalents:

Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ6 XJS Engine Cylinder Head Gasket Eurospare NBC2520AB | eBay

New Eurospare Cylinder Head Gasket NBC2520AB | eBay

And the cheapest so far, which even claims to be a "direct replacement part":

https://www.britishparts.co.uk/produ...head-NBC2520AB

Unfortunately none of them list materials that they are composed of (probably a trade secret?)

Too bad these cars rarely have head gasket problems, kind of makes it hard to obtain advice

Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll assume you're across the pond from the US.

I invite you to click on this link

They are a 10 minute ride for me - they stock both new and used Jag parts. Notice the link shows the original part# and alternates - use at your discretion.

For any car manufacturer, I've found, if it's over 10 years, even the dealer is not stocking original parts - it's a part made to spec and may not be the original supplier.

I'd like to touch on something you mentioned, and is a parallel to oil specification. What's important is the "language" used.

Case in point - I'm looking for an oil for my four Honda motorcycles, but I don't want to spend the extra $$$ on Honda branded oil. So I check the spec required - they specify it must meet JASO MA certification.

If the container states "meets or exceeds JASO MA certification" it means it does not, because they did not submit the oil to the governing body for cert (JASO).

So. food for thought.

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by caldercay
I'll assume you're across the pond from the US.

I invite you to click on this link

They are a 10 minute ride for me - they stock both new and used Jag parts. Notice the link shows the original part# and alternates - use at your discretion.

If the container states "meets or exceeds JASO MA certification" it means it does not, because they did not submit the oil to the governing body for cert (JASO).

So. food for thought.
Nope. Just North of the 49th

Thanks for the link. Wish they housed the alternate parts so that I could check prices. Oh well, more googling awaits me

Never in a million years would I have thought of that; that makes absolute sense! You'd make a very good lawyer

Last edited by someguywithajag; 08-04-2016 at 04:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

why do you need to change the head gasket - is it blown/leaking?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by AL NZ
why do you need to change the head gasket - is it blown/leaking?
I broke the cam cover bolts while trying to replace the leaky cam cover gasket. After removing the broken bolts, few of the holes had their threads stripped. So I pulled the head off and sent it to the machine shop

I decided to replace the exhaust valves with the updated "carbon cutter" ones (as per TSB 03.1-10) while I had the head open; those needed to be seated properly by the machinist too

The head gasket itself hadn't leaked but it looked like that it might be on the verge of blowing some time in the future

P.S. Link for said TSB:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...oor%20Idle.pdf