XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help! I think I found a car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help! I think I found a car!

I have found a 95 xj6 VP with about 80,000 miles. There is not service history on the car. Can someone please help me? I need to know what to look for when buying this year and model??? I understand that this is one of the better years built??? Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated. Michael.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Have you read the buyers guide? It's at the top of this section in one of the sticky threads

Cheers
DD

Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can find a steady source of parts and information, a good mechanic (or you are a good student yourself), then I would say to you that these are good cars.

The questions would be:
What mileage does the vehicle have? How much are they asking? Do you have an OBD2 reader?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM

It has 80,000 miles and he seems firm on 8000. It's a very clean car. Seems high though to me. What is a OBD2 reader. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate you guys chatting with me about this

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 PM

The OBD2 reader can read codes that have not been cleared out from the computer. If they have been cleared it may take a few ignition cycles in order for it to throw the same codes again.

8k seems a bit steep to me. I didn't pay that much for either of mine with less miles to begin, but then they did need some finish work at first. That was able to be done for little more than cost because I know a guy.

Is the money burning a hole in your pocket? Where are you looking for these Jags?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my '95 XJ6 2 months ago for equivalent to 900 USD, with 82,000 miles. There's a bit of knocking on front upper bushes, but only on larger potholes. So when test-driving, listen for those, maybe even try driving through a pothole Then there was some rust around wheel arches, 3 corners actually, both at the front and left rear just behind the door. One of the silencers is quite rusty and actually has holes in it, but you should be able to see them easily, from underneath the bumper and behing the wheel. Check if all the electronic stuff works, like all the switches, antena, windows, lights blah blah blah... Fortunately, in my case they are all functional but the mirror switch is missing and they are not as cheap second hand as I would want them to be... Check for any rips in the seats, especially driver's seat, have a look at the steering wheel if it's worn out... If you manage to knock off some of that price and decide to buy it, give it a good service (all the fluids, oils in engine, gearbox and differential, preferably do it yourself, it's not difficult and will save you some 'big bucks' as you guys say it).

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JackJ
The OBD2 reader can read codes that have not been cleared out from the computer. If they have been cleared it may take a few ignition cycles in order for it to throw the same codes again.

8k seems a bit steep to me. I didn't pay that much for either of mine with less miles to begin, but then they did need some finish work at first. That was able to be done for little more than cost because I know a guy.

Is the money burning a hole in your pocket? Where are you looking for these Jags?
The money isnt burning a hole in my pocket but I've been looking for a while. I
Look at hemmings and eBay. Not much here local. I'm
In Oklahoma. I want a very very very nice example of one and prefer the VP. Don't you think their hard to find? I really prefer 95 because of the interior

Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by IreallywantaJag
The money isnt burning a hole in my pocket but I've been looking for a while. I
Look at hemmings and eBay. Not much here local. I'm
In Oklahoma. I want a very very very nice example of one and prefer the VP. Don't you think their hard to find? I really prefer 95 because of the interior
95-97 VDP all have 95% the same interior. Slight variation in woodwork, trays, how many seats are heated etc...

I look every now and again and there is almost always one out there for sale.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8k seems steep to me as well.

A carfax might return results on maintenance and is never a bad idea.

Just as a comparison, I just bought a 97 XJ6L with 75k miles for $3800. Up to you if the value of a 15 year old trim upgrade doubles the value of a car. It might. (I'd sure like more than a cassette player right about now!)

Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalGuy
8k seems steep to me as well.

A carfax might return results on maintenance and is never a bad idea.

Just as a comparison, I just bought a 97 XJ6L with 75k miles for $3800. Up to you if the value of a 15 year old trim upgrade doubles the value of a car. It might. (I'd sure like more than a cassette player right about now!)
It is 'steep'-for what you can get these magnificent machines for-because of their rep from previous years. 95, 96, and '97 are GREAT cars, having had Ford involved in working out electrical bugs and whatever else, I don't know.

That being said, I DID sell my 95 VDP for $8000. I didn't want to sell it. The guy kept bugging me so I said "I want $10,000 but I'd take 8,000".
And he paid it. Dang it.!
It's one of those 'it's only worth what somebody else will pay for it', scenarios.
He has what you want. He can ask 40,000-doesn't matter-it's HIS.
Now finding a buyer for his asking price is all he's concerned with.
If the car is IMMACULATE and has had the diff replaced and the headliner ain't sagging and the clock works and the paint is good and it needs no repairs,blah blah blah, then I say that it IS worth the money...to some people.
Me? I'd keep looking or offer to pay 5,000. But then again, I'm a cheap bastage.
One thing I DO NOT like is the lack of history. This can mean there are some things the seller doesn't want you to know but in any case YOU WON'T know if the car has been cared for properly.
I only buy Jags with documented history-it means the car was 'cared for'.
Only 80,000 miles and no records? Sounds like the seller bought it to make money on resale.
Best of luck!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to buy a '97 VDP with 80k on the odometer from a dealer, of all things, for $3900 drive out. The car has traction control and the hardly common stereo upgrade. The previous owner had just renewed all four tires, hung new pads and rotors and Bilstein shocks on the front end. Straight car, nice in and out, everything works except the displays on the clock and radio. So I fell for it. It took me about three weeks of looking on the internet to find the car. Eight grand for a swb VDP sounds more than a bit pricey to me but I'm tighter than a crabs' rear end.