XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How to compare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default How to compare?

I envy all you guys, especially in the UK, where there seems to be a large number of Jag drivers. Here in Ireland, most Jags on the road are newer models, with an absolute minimum of older cars, especially x300's.

Our punitive road tax doesn't help at €1,800.00 per annum. Being a DIY mechanic is also a must!

Anyway, being in a minority means that I never get the chance to drive someone else's x300. This means that despite the fact that I am very happy with how mine runs and I am acutely aware of every new squeak, rumble, etc. I can never compare it with another. Maybe this is for the best, but I'd still love to have the opportunity.

On the other hand, if I attend the occasional motors meet, I am pretty much guaranteed to be the only one in a Jag.

So, enjoy your community, or better still, take a trip to Ireland. There are plenty of great driving roads down here in Kerry and I have a few spare rooms!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

I see there are no replies here yet, so I though I'd share my experience of multiple X300 ownership.

The trio is a lot like a family. They are like children to me. Obviously related, but each with their different look, features, qualities and problems! Like each has it's own personality.

The two sixes are at nearly 150k each. But, the VDP had a harsh life before I rescued it last year. Because of that, it shows more wear and has more problems than the XJ6. However, all three cars feel remarkably similar on the road. After all, the driving position, controls, engine and trans (except the V12), suspension and brakes are all the same. Only the VDP has a few more rattles! But despite that, it is a VDP long wheelbase and everyone (like my teenage sons) loves to ride in the back seat!

Knowing the cars as well as I do, I could make a very long list of their differences, a longer list than their general similarities. For instance, all three have differences in:

Color and paint quality
Body trim
Grill style
Wheel style and type of tyres
Interior color and trim
Wood veneer style
Window tint
Sound systems
Squeaks and rattles :-)

I've even discovered differences in the factory build of the AJ16 between the six and the VDP, as the six followed the VDP off the production line 3,223 vehicles later! I believe there's about three months between them.

And so each has it's own character. The XJ12 is like the big brother (or sister) to the other two. Always setting the example for them!

It is a lot of work to keep them all going. For example, I've got 15 tires to keep up, and recently had two punctures (one for each 6 cyl) to deal with. But it is a labour of love. Just like with kids!

No way in heck I could do this in Ireland at 1800 euro per year each!!! Local registration is only about 60 to 80 dollars per year per car. How fortunate I am.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks for the response. I'm not complaining about how my car runs, in fact, whenever anyone travels with me, they always remark upon how quiet it is. Some have even questioned whether the engine was actually running!

I suppose I should just be happy and not give myself unnecessary cause for concern. It would be nice though to have a yard stick of sorts to measure by.

Anyway, thanks again and I think it might be time for you to consider automotive birth control!!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Not until I "have" an XJS!

One other difference I wanted to point out is that each of the trio has a distinct interior aroma as well. Very pleasant aromas. If I were blindfolded and guided to an open door, I could identify which one it is, by smell alone! I am interested to see if other X300s of the exact version smell the same as mine. Lol.