XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I finally got and programmed a FOB!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I finally got and programmed a FOB!

I've been waiting nearly 3.5 years for this moment, and even more the last 2 since I got a car with an alarm system. Anyway...

I programmed the fob with ease, but the system never chirped
It still isn't chirping with use of the remote to lock/unlock, or the key. Normally, the system chirps, but on occasion it won't.

Perhaps what I'm more curious about would be the other functions of the fob. I know it can lock and unlock, but can it close (or open) the car's windows if I hold the buttons down? So far, all I've been able to do holding the buttons down was set off panic mode and really upset my neighbors. Is the only way to exit panic mode to put the key in the ignition and turn?

Thanks guys, this is something I'm really glad to have, and I'd like to avoid accidentally putting the car into panic mode again.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Top,
I seem to recall that pressing the "Lock" button until the door top knobs drop into the door top and then pressing the button again gives another Chirp (or maybe not, in your case) and that throws the deadbolt locks into place.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The U.S. cars do not have DEADLOCKING.

bob gauff

Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Congrats on programming the key fob. They can be tricky if the steps are not right. The fob has limited function. Unlock button. press once for drivers door, second press for the rest of the doors, third press for the trunk. Lock button, one press for locking. I don't know how to set off panic mode cause I hate that so I dont try to remember, you seem to have figured it out. Another feature, as long as your car has memory seats, you can set the fob to memory one, two, or three. I think the procedure is, press the memory button and the red light comes on, press the unlock on the remote and hold, press 1,2, or 3 on the switchpack. release it all, done. reset the seat position, column and mirrors to desired positions. IT SHOULD come back to those, if not, then an error in the system is present. that opens another can of worms, but a properly working system will move the column, seat, and mirrors.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Well, thanks guys! I wish I had more use for the memory functions thou. I'm the only one who ever drives my car, and I keep the memory functions off (like the steering wheel and seat) because the seat memory is broken. I was just really hoping that I could get the windows down by remote. My friend has a new Nissan Altima, and his windows go down by remote, but not up. Go figure.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

On my 97 xj6 Sovereign, I can lock the car with the remote in the usual way and then hold down the lock button which will then close any windows and the sunroof. I can also activate the full headlamps before opening, if parked in the dark. I think these features are pretty common to all x300's. I'm based in Ireland if that helps!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

I got home today after driving with my windows down, and I stayed in the car to close the windows with their proper switches because I was afraid I'd set off panic mode again. Tomorrow, I'll try pressing and holding the lock button when it locks the doors.