XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

I really need to fix my CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I really need to fix my CD changer

I've had my '96 XJ since August of '06, and the entire time, the CD changer hasn't worked. The reason I've procrastinated is that I usually just drive to work and back, or take my grilfriend out. When commuting, I'm listening to news or the local jazz station. When I'm driving with my girlfriend, I usually have the radio off so we can chat. But it won't be long before she'll want to listen to her Michael Bublé CDs in the car.

But all I get is error codes. Put CDs in the cartridge, put the cartridge in the player, hit the "Tape/CD" button and... "EE-02". Try to eject the cartrdige, and if it doesn't eject I get an "EE-01" code. Slide a piece of plastic under the cartridge, it pops out, and I get the "EE-02" code again. Close the trunk, go inside, have a Newcastle.

So... what can I try next? (Other than another brand of ale.)

Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: I really need to fix my CD changer

probably replacing itwill do the trick lol

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha... no, I was thinking of something a bit less expensive. Preferably something that I can fix on the existing unit, like a connection or a cleaning or something. I've heard that Alpine will fix wayward CD changers for a flat fee of $150 (plus shipping), so that's probably my last resort. Unless somebody knows of a changer that will work with the factory head unit.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey buddy-

There is a place on ebay that sells a repair service for the changer, just go on ebay and search Jaguar CD Changer, and you'll bump into it. I believe it is around $95 or so. Good luck my friend and enjoy those Newcastles

-James

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EE-02 CD Changer fix

Take the magazine out, turn it to play CD's and you will get an error message Nomag or some such thing. Take ALL of the CD's out of the magazine, turn it on to play CD's - lo and behold mine played a CD. When turned off it ejected a CD into the magazine. So there was a CD that hadn't ejected properly, and it complained when you put a full magazine in. Who would have thought!

The following users liked this post:
paulZ (02-02-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Terryjw
Take the magazine out, turn it to play CD's and you will get an error message Nomag or some such thing. Take ALL of the CD's out of the magazine, turn it on to play CD's - lo and behold mine played a CD. When turned off it ejected a CD into the magazine. So there was a CD that hadn't ejected properly, and it complained when you put a full magazine in. Who would have thought!
Good information, but you know this thread is from 2008 don't you?

overtheatlantic (09-08-2018)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Default EE-02 CD changer fix

Yes, I know it is from 2008, but the problem still existed yesterday - at least on my Jag. If there is a more recent thread - let me know!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM

Replying to my reply. EE-01 happened again. Removed CD player and took covers off. CD was stuck in play position. I had to pry it back into the magazine carefully with a scewdriver. Then with a kitchen knife under the magazine push back the 2 pieces that hold the magazine in place. You can see them if you focus a light just right. Then magazine would load, cd's would go in and out but it said there was no CD in all slots. The rubber roller that pushed them in to play seemed old so I swapped it carefully with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip (Old trick from cleaning tape drives many moons ago at IBM. Then swabbed the lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. re-installed and it worked. Now to some more alcohol - a martini. Eh (from Canada.)

Old 07-31-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Here are the instructions to fix the CD ejection problem, worm gear slips

This is a common problem on the Alpine changers, and the link below has a PDF step-by-step that I followed to repair mine.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...36/#post336234

The worm gear on mine slipped easily on the shaft, so I used an adhesive suited for nylon to add some grip. Hopefully that will help keep the gear in place long term.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 07-31-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm shocked folks still listen to CDs.

Of course, I've said the same thing about 8-track and cassette players ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caldercay

Of course, I've said the same thing about 8-track and cassette players ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Heh, well I still have a wall of hundreds of the darned things, and shelves of LPs as well .... so I try to exercise them every so often

The flexibility and freedom to listen to anything at any time digitally is great too, and I'm working on a Bluetooth injection via an Alpine adapter at the CD changer too.

But, I actually occasionally like the "limitations" imposed by an LP or CD, forcing one to listen to the entire composition within the constraints as designed by the performer/producer. I suspect that is mostly nostalgia on my part though.

I've even been on the lookout for my old box of high school/college cassettes that might be somewhere squirreled away at my parents house. That definitely is just for nostalgia though

Plus it just bugs me when things don't work, and I like tinkering... hence fixing the CD changer.

Lawrence (08-06-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anybody know if there is an iPod adapter that plugs instead of the CD changer on the Jag? Something along the lines of PDXP/IPod2Car? If that's the case I would ditch the CD changer, rip the CDs and upload the music onto an iPod.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
Does anybody know if there is an iPod adapter that plugs instead of the CD changer on the Jag? Something along the lines of PDXP/IPod2Car? If that's the case I would ditch the CD changer, rip the CDs and upload the music onto an iPod.
Not that I am aware of that is plug-and-play, mostly because of the age of the system using the Alpine M-bus system.

That being said, you could certainly build something as there is lots of info online about the wiring of the M-bus cabling, and although it uses different connectors, the later AiNet system is identical. In fact, there is a thread in the X308 section where someone has a step-by-step of breaking into the CD wiring so that you can inject an audio signal and fool the head unit into thinking a CD is playing.

The closest plug-and-play solution I've seen yet is the Alpine KCA-801B. These have long been discontinued, but you can find them used and NOS pretty commonly.

I've been testing the use of an Alpine KCA-801B adapter that is made to inject an audio signal in-line to an Ai-Net cable between a head unit and CD changer. One has to get a few converter cables to go from M-bus cables the X300 uses to Ai-Net and the Alpine KCA-801B, but I have confirmed that it does work. I've just done some basic mock-up testing though, and the next step would be some way to trigger (uses 5-12V trigger) the Alpine KCA-801B and get the signal to it. I may use a Bluetooth receiver, or maybe I'll hard wire it, not sure yet.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
Go on ebay and search Bluetooth cassette.
You pop the cassette in and play it. It's paired with your iPhone (Bluetooth music player) so play the music from that.

Side note: Does anyone remember it used to be BluTooth?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Default Yep, you can use Bluetooth too.

If you want to go that route, I've also used a Bluetooth FM transceiver with good results sending streaming content from my phone. There are multitudes of them on eBay for under $20 that work well enough.

The fidelity isn't great, but it can be good enough if you aren't looking for audiophile quality.

The only real issue I found was on long drives I'd tend to find that the "unused" FM station I had been using ends up with a station on it, or adjacent, and then get various noise/interference. More of an inconvenience than anything, as one just has to find another unused station if your transceiver allows for that flexibility (they all do AFAIK, either fixed station alternatives or complete adjustability).

Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Yes FM transmitters are fine too. No point in getting a Bluetooth one of those, get one that plugs in your player's earphone socket.

However if you're not using Bluetooth then get a cassette version that plugs in the earphone socket. You have no retuning or pairing to worry about, just a wire.

al_roethlisberger (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by caldercay

I was listening to The Jam on cassette today in the Jag. Amazing sound. Nothing wrong with tapes if you're going to listen to the whole thing.

al_roethlisberger (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wayland
Yes FM transmitters are fine too. No point in getting a Bluetooth one of those, get one that plugs in your player's earphone socket.

However if you're not using Bluetooth then get a cassette version that plugs in the earphone socket. You have no retuning or pairing to worry about, just a wire.

I didn't even know there was such a thing, pretty neat actually. I knew about the wired cassette adapters of course...

Cassette Adapter? Bluetooth - Bluetooth Music Receiver for Cassette Decks - ION Audio - Dedicated to Delivering Sound Experiences

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Cassett.../dp/B00I3YLHAC

Quick Reply: I really need to fix my CD changer