XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Idle problem solved Daimler 4.0 -95

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Idle problem solved Daimler 4.0 -95

I got this neglected Daimler a week ago. Owner had abandoned it on his lawn for three years when he aquired a fresh 2003 Jaguar and finally two weeks ago practically donated it to some used car shade tree people. I picked it up at a decent price. I figure just a few issues to sort out and it could end up as a decent runner.

One issue was it was idling at too high revs. I now found the harness to the Idle control valve motor had been tampered with by what looked like animals and one wire was cut off. The same evening I talked to the previous owner and he recalled having cleared out a rats nest from under the hood before the car was picked up. So there it was; a rat had been chewing on the harness. Seems to be the only spot they cared to sample. Easy fix and now the engine idles as smooth as ever.

Next step is sorting out the self levelling stuff. I got that hydraulic manual and will begin investigating.

I have an issue also that the left side windows motors are not giving any signs of life although the fuse appears ok.
Right side windows motors and sunroof operates ok

The IR remotes does not seem to work. The car has the IR dome sensor up on that roof panel but even though remote batteries are renewed there is no locking action or other signs of communication.

Any troubleshooting hints welcome.

Rats ! gremlings ate my Daimler

Last edited by gunnar_xj6; 09-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Those IR controls were known to conk out. I replaced mine with a generic remote unit wired in by chopping off the wires of the receiver and splicing in the new one. Important point: Check size of new compared to old

I cannot remember which brand but I bought it off a US webshop having numerous variants of remotes and alarms. Car long sold so cannot check.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the feasibility of dropping in a radio frequency security module ?
I have seen these online for sale. I see if I toggle the security switch in the centre console box and follow the remote learning recipe for those cars I can get the system to act like it were ready to accept radio remote signals (it beeps and flashes lights accordingly) even though such a module is not present. Instead it has that IR dome in the roof console. If feasible where would that radio security module plug in ? Seems what cars got IR or radio remotes depended on what country they were exported to at least for the late model XJ40s.