XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Insurance....Denied!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Insurance....Denied!

So as I and the Mrs go on past 50 YO me and my wife were getting frustrated with our current insurance holder since they increase our rates every 6 months (no accidents, no tickets, cars older, worth less, driving records better) so we check into AARP's "lower" insurance for people over 50....HA!!!! Got a letter back claiming "to keep our competative rates we are declining your request because of the following vehicle 1997 Jaguar XJ6L, being expensive and difficult to repair" so I guess if your driving a $h!t wagon they are good insuring you??? Or the fact that if you totaled a 1997 XJ6L they aren't going to give you squat for it. I was seriously floored, I sent them back a nasty gram just to make myself feel better but I know they could care less. Funny thing too is I was only looking at Liability and PIP, not "collision"

Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

That's odd, they didn't balk at mine, and we are a whole lot older than 50.

Carrier for ours is the Hartford.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 2003 XJ8 and a 1995 Miata on my insurance (AllState -- I'm 58 years old) and just added my 2003 S-Type -- no problems, other than the fact that the S-Type almost doubled my rates. I told the gal that I can only drive one at a time! LOL She wasn't the least bit humored. My older brother has three drivers on his insurance in Wisconsin (I'm in FL and live alone) with three cars and pays a fraction of what I pay -- that's the other way they get you, it's based on where you live! I guess FL drivers are high-risk!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Got a letter back claiming "to keep our competative rates we are declining your request because of the following vehicle 1997 Jaguar XJ6L, being expensive and difficult to repair"

Yeah, that really doesn't make sense at all. Repairs expense might be be high but the ACV on these older Jags is very low ....so most any accident is likely to "total" the car. Thus, a repair is very unlikely.

That being the case their exposure is only ...what?.....about $5000 ?

With your good driving record they should have been happy to have you on board.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Yeah, it was the Hartford for AARP, I was actually surprised by the letter but it clearly addressed the XJ6L as the "reason" oh well, there loss as I have 4. Cars insured, impeccable driving records and pay cash up front every 6 months.... I guess of I drove junk carelessly they would consider me good for their company.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 AM
sbc
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Due to being a member of the Jaguar Club of Denmark, I can get a discount on my XJR insurance, provided I keep all other insurances at the same company. Then the price can go as low as $4.500 pro anno. Amazing, isn't it? Guess what? I opted for liability only.

46 years old. Been riding bikes summer and winter (yes in snow) and have owned quite a few bmws and mercedes. Never had a single accident.

Last edited by sbc; 11-19-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Speeling eror
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Insurance and Hartford

Interesting about AARP they recommended Hartford so I went with them.
This year they upped the rates for no reason.
Checked around and found they were the least competitive .
Went on line with E insurance and saved a bundle!!!!
Insuring 2001 XJR 2005 Lexus RX330
now getting AARP solicitations to come back Hartford has made changes.

No way once had , let's not repeat the error

Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting, I am 55, and have two Jaguars, and both of them are insured through Allstate. I don't have full coverage due to the age of the cars, but I do have a 100k/300k limit, and have two Ford trucks on the policy as well. Well, the XJ6 is currently not running, so I lowered the coverage on it, but the XJ-S is covered, and driven as often as possible.

Jim

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

E-surance told me they don't insure Jaguar but I had no problems and got a very reasonable rate with progressive, have to say their tool when choosing what coverage you want is very nice and lets you see the big picture.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have mine insured with GEICO without problems. I figured that would have a problem with me. I haven't used any credit, or credit cards, in decades so no credit score. I've not owned a car in years (no need) and I'm a OTR truck driver.