XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Key fobs not learning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key fobs not learning?

This is just going on and on...
95 sovereign 4.0

Got hold of second hand fobs and tried to get them to 'learn' the car.
Tried and tried to get the car to learn them but it won't play. I think the car is entering learning mode as it makes all the right noises. But after 15 seconds it chirps twice as it receiving a signal.
I know the fobs are both second hand but they are clean inside, got batteries, make all the right colours etc. but NEITHER will learn the car.

Also the key will only sometimes work the central locking. Sometimes it will lock all the doors, sometimes not.
Have noticed when it DOES lock all the doors, the indicators don't flash.
When it DOESN'T lock all doors the indicators flash.

Also ...(sorry, it goes on a bit) sometimes it will crank and crank without starting. Have noticed also that the check engine light sometimes goes OFF with the other lights before cranking, and thats when it wont start.

I've recharged battery and shorted the cables to hard set the ecu's but still no joy.

Am I looking at a new security module possibly?

As an aside one of the rear doors won't open (NS) . The buttons go up and down and the handles feel ok.. it is just stuck solid.

Any ideas anyone.... please???

Old 09-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a right old problem you have.
Have you tried to open the NSR door with someone inside pushing the door ,mine are stiff and quite hard for my kids to open ,lack of use i would have though.
As for the central locking problems and key fob ,maybe its a door lock acuator thats at fault.
I would also check and clean as many earth straps as you can find this helps no end with elecy problem.
Hope some of this helps.
Cheers
Chris

Old 09-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of info in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2-x300-112685/
Good luck

Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever get this sorted OP? I am having a similar problem with the Double Six I recently purchased but having now done a load more research I think it is likely to be the fact that I have bought the wrong frequency fob (433MHz when I now think that my car is probably 315 MHz, despite the antenna in the rear window being the 433 MHz style). Which frequency are the fobs you got and do you know which model number your SLCM is?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default update

Update....

The fobs still don't work and they are the correct frequency, so still working on that one.

Changed the crank position sensor and that cured the non starting.

The key in the drivers door will work the central locking every SECOND time!
When it doesnt , and only open drivers door, the cra won't start. The immobiliser is still on. But if I turn it back then try again it starts.

When it DOES operate the central locking it starts every time.

Got the back door open by taking interior off. Found that teh link from teh exterior handle was broekn .(Stupid little piece of plastic crap!) and the door had been locked with the child lock activated so that was why the interior handle wouldn't work.
Once I fix the link it will work ok, but noticed the central locking actuator connection was broken, so consequently the activator will open the lock (by pusing) but wont lock it. (by pulling.)
So that is almost fixed..!