XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

LCD panel repairs all the same on heater unit, clock, radio and Trip Counter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts
Default LCD panel repairs all the same on heater unit, clock, radio and Trip Counter?

I have read many threads about LCD repair on the clock, but there seems nothing on others. Refurbished units especially the radio are sold at handsome prices, but can I assume that the LCD panels on them are all the same and can be fixed by replacing the LCD display ribbon cable? The LCD panel on the heater unit is still showing up fine, the clock's is fading out, and the radio's shows internal leak. I thought of removing all three units on the central console for a one-time fix. The trip counter still shows up but is a bit blurred, possibly on the way out, and I presume replacing the whole instrument cluster with a better one would be a better solution?

Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Two LCD's on my car are "half lit" which I believe means one bulb is out so, I have new ones and am going to replace today. This is for the Odometer and heater control panel.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Just replaced the burned out bulb on the left side of my Odometer with T5 white bulbs from eBay (4 for $15). I have just ordered blue t4 neo-wedge halogen bulbs for the heater control LCD (6 for $7). They are quite different and a lot of dismantling, especially the heater controls.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Mine are not a light bulb issue but letters disappearing or appearing intermittently. As for the odometer, back light seems OK but background is a bit blurred.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Are you sure the panel bulbs are correct? Can't be sure from the picture but, looks like they may be too bright. The numbers look fine so maybe try the T5's to see if it corrects the problem?

The following users liked this post:
Qvhk (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

You may be right. Wonder if T5's would be too bright as the originals are conventional bulbs.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Found this very useful thread on backlighting for all display panels on our X300:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dimming-38712/

Backlighting apart, first and foremost is to tackle the LCD display in the AC unit, clock and radio. There are many write-ups and repair-service offers on the clock, can't find any on the rest.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 AM

I used these:
JAGUAR XJ series Cluster Speedometer T5 bulb Lot of 4 | eBay

the ones I took out did not have blue covers, were clear as are these. Replaced them both and my odometer seems as it should be. bright but not washed out.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 2,034 Posts

As a rule, I have always heard of the clocks failing, but not the rest. The climate control LCDs seem to be better made.

Not sure what's up with your odometer display. At first I assumed it was just a reflection or glare in the photos, but it's not?

It's not hard to replace the entire instrument cluster you could always do that.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Many thanks. I shall try replacing the backlight of the odometer display first to see if the display would improve. I suspect, however, that the window plate might be burning out due to overheating from improper bulbs installed by the previous owner.

The climate display is holding up well so far, but might fail sooner or later. Was planning to fix 'em all at once, so I asked. The radio display seems the toughest one to deal with. There hasn't been been any mention of fixing it. I now see a leak in my radio display window, but have to find out if the radio functions properly once I recover the radio code. Obviously, if the radio is out of order it would make more sense to have it replaced with a modern head unit.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 2,034 Posts

It's easy to pull the instrument cluster out. There are 4 screws from underneath, 2 on each side. They are roughly in line with black vinyl trim edge of the cluster. With your head in the footwell and looking up you'll see them. Lower the steering wheel and bring it forward as much as you can and the cluster should work loose. There is a tang at back that needs to get pulled free and then when loose reach on behind and disconnect the wiring harness.

The bulbs are actually fair distance from the display.

The following users liked this post:
Qvhk (04-13-2017)