XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

locking issues on my 1997 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locking issues on my 1997 xj6

Hi everybody, hopefully someone can help me. I can only lock and unlock my car either by hand or key only including the trunk. My remote was dead when i got it and i replaced the batteries. I have read over 60 pages on this forum and understand that sometimes it can be because of broken wires on the trunk hinge or a bad microswitch. I believe my microswitch is good. My lights come on in the trunk when i raise the lid. I had to broken wires that i had to fix by the trunk hinge and still nothing. I may have a bad connection coming off of the trunk button. I have checked all fuses and they are good. Is their a certain relay i can check? Im guessing it would be in the left heelboard. Also, is their a fuse on the actual security/lock module by the fuel filler that i need to check?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Mine is a pain as well. I have a bad connection somewhere in the car that I traced to the front drivers window and/or the front passenger heated seat. I put an isolator in for same to stop the battery going dead. Why is this relevant? Because if the battery was low at all the key fob would not work and I used to have to use the key to open the door and then get the keys in the ignition before the alarm went off. Maybe its something to do with that if you've checked the wiring is ok.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Do you know for a fact that your fob ever worked with the car? It may have "died" at some time or not be original. Either way, the fobs, which are a generic item, need to be "synced" with your car and there is a procedure for this.

It's a bit long winded but simple enough and while the exact sequence/details escape me, there have been numerous posts about it. A search of "programming fob" will throw up the required information.

It's as good a place as any to start.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
Do you know for a fact that your fob ever worked with the car? It may have "died" at some time or not be original. Either way, the fobs, which are a generic item, need to be "synced" with your car and there is a procedure for this.

It's a bit long winded but simple enough and while the exact sequence/details escape me, there have been numerous posts about it. A search of "programming fob" will throw up the required information.

It's as good a place as any to start.
Not sure, the fob was dead when i got it. My alarm doesn't go off at all. Even after rocking the valet switch 5 times.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could well be security control module

Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, if I well understand the situation, the first thing to do is to reprogram the key fob as suggested by another members. I did it a couple of time and it is no big deal. Mine is also somewhat temperamental, but nothing that removing the batteries and / or reprogramming will not solve.

It is very embarassing to open the door with the key, the car start beeping and everybody around looking, isn't? :-)

Good luck.
Jorge