XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Looking For A Good Dash Flap Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Looking For A Good Dash Flap Review

Hey Guys,

So I believe my AC issues are dash flap related even though my HVAC is not throwing any codes.

The air is coolest on the far left vent, coolish on the left/center vent and more or less hot on the right/center and right vent. Even with the two right vents closed, I can feel hot air on right side of the left vent if I out my hand there.

What I was after was anyone's know-how on the layout and functionality of all the various vent flaps. I want to know before I start stripping things down to find the issue.

Has anyone stumbled on a thread that has good content and even pics showing the various flaps? Even some simple drawings are enough for me to wrap my head around the layout.

Going to continue searching but sometimes there is already a decent thread that I can't find.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Working on it , chill out

Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

HAHA, yes, I believe that is my issue as well, I have however given up. By judicious pressing of buttons from AUTO to the others: dash only, dash and feet I am usually able to coax enough cold air out. I saw an episode of wheeler dealers where Ed was working on an early 90's Mercedes SL and took the dash apart and fixed all the vents. I believe they were all vacuum operated, are the ones in the ours electric?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my dash apart now and they all appear to be electrically operated.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This may be in line with what you're looking for razorboy...

In section 14 of the XJ6 - XJ12 Service Manual are diagrams of flap control with a simple layout of location. The Manual can be found in the downloads area though I couldn't find the particular link just yet.

I repaired my defrost flap servo some years back as I could not get my windshield defogged/defrosted during inclimate weather. I didn't like that at all! My defrost has been fine ever since the repair. Here's a link to that:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/2731861

I'll try to find the Service Manual link and post it if no one beats me to it.

The following users liked this post:
razorboy (08-06-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a slow freon leak and when it gets low enough it does what you are explaining,it is almost like it is trying to keep the driver cool before anybody else.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nsxguy7
I have my dash apart now and they all appear to be electrically operated.
Did someone say electrically operated ? Oh baby , oh baby , oh baby . Shall we play ? I put together a package before Windows 10 went out so will have to put it back together .

Old 08-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mailshack
This may be in line with what you're looking for razorboy...

In section 14 of the XJ6 - XJ12 Service Manual are diagrams of flap control with a simple layout of location. The Manual can be found in the downloads area though I couldn't find the particular link just yet.

I repaired my defrost flap servo some years back as I could not get my windshield defogged/defrosted during inclimate weather. I didn't like that at all! My defrost has been fine ever since the repair. Here's a link to that:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/2731861

I'll try to find the Service Manual link and post it if no one beats me to it.
This is great and does give me my first glimpse into the beast!
I would love to see the real box opened up in pics to properly identify what's going on with my system. Since the issue lays primarily to the passenger side vents, it would be good to see how the left / right assemblies may be different?

If anyone has real pics of a box removed from the dash it would be very helpful

Old 08-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I started making a troubleshooting electrical check out of the whole valving system but windows 10 went out . I posted a shorted code 45 quick checkout for him without the whole system as the whole document is not complete . It is the last reply on a off topic item . All the valving is done in the central plenum and is ducted out from there with not side valving . loose or blocked duct ?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-183629/page2/

The following users liked this post:
razorboy (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
I started making a troubleshooting electrical check out of the whole valving system but windows 10 went out . I posted a shorted code 45 quick checkout for him without the whole system as the whole document is not complete . It is the last reply on a off topic item . All the valving is done in the central plenum and is ducted out from there with not side valving . loose or blocked duct ?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-183629/page2/

Great!
Thank you very much for the information.
I have a theory which could explain my particular issue.
I am not throwing any codes and I do have cool air coming in but only to basically one side of the vents.

Does the air box work on larger, singular flaps or could any of them be in conjoined pairs?

From what I have learned so far there can only be 2 explanations for what I am experiencing.
1) The heat/cool flap is a conjoined pair that has somehow separated allowing one flap to open (driver side) while the other remains closed (passenger side).

2) since the evaporator is essentially a radiator dispersing the cooling around its core, is it possible that the evaporator has become blocked on one side (passenger)? If I'm envisioning the evaporator sitting in the airflow path, I can't help but think that this is highly plausible. If half the evaporator core is not receiving the flow, it stays warm on one side

Thoughts?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Without seeing the flapper valves I don't see a reason for it being split in left and right halves and only one motor . Using the some reasoning in that other post instead of the single coil snaking from left to right up from bottem to the top could explain foot vent cold and face vent warm . It may explain left cold right warm if the inlet to the coil starts on the left and snakes up and down from left to the right already having absorbed most of the heat it can before it gets to the right . I have a pic from someone else of a removed coil with the expansion valve installed to be able to determain the freon flow path direction . Gotta find it in edited followup . You would have to rotate the bottom of the page up so the XPV is between the engine and the evaporator . Looks like a header on top only so there goes my snake theory but the condenser is so . Could you have leaves or debrie on that right side ?

Attached Thumbnails Looking For A Good Dash Flap Review-picture-53-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 08-06-2017 at 09:03 PM.