XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Lower Radiator Hose-Heated

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Lower Radiator Hose-Heated

Hello everyone,

I am currently carrying out some preventative maintenance on my '96 XJR.

I ordered an after market replacement (please see attached photos) hose for the lower radiator hose before I removed the lower radiator hose--which was a royal PITA--but they are not same!

I did not know that radiator hoses could even have plugs in them.

Now:
-do I keep the after market hose and replace the original heated one? (I was not able to find a heated one) will that cause any other foreseeable problems?
-does anyone know where I can find the heated variant for the hose?
-can I find a refurbished heated hose? (is there even such a thing?) is there a way to refurbish it myself?
-do I REALLY have to replace this hose? It didn't have any leaks--I just did it because I heard, through various online forums, that it is advisable.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Attached Thumbnails Lower Radiator Hose-Heated-img_20150731_044742.jpg   Lower Radiator Hose-Heated-img_20150731_044802.jpg   Lower Radiator Hose-Heated-img_20150731_044900.jpg   Lower Radiator Hose-Heated-img_20150731_044940.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (08-02-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Lots of Canadian market cars came with the heated lower hose to keep the coolant warm.....part of a 'cold weather package' or some such. Can be useful if the car is exposed to severe freezing conditions. Otherwise, no, you don't need it. Just use the hose without the heater fitting.

The original hose is part number MNA4512AC. You can call Jaguar and see if it can still be ordered.

It's always best to replace coolant hoses *before* they start leaking.... and certainly better to replace 'em before they let go entirely leaving you stranded by the roadside in a giant pool of coolant.

This is triple-true on the XJR6. As you know, replacing the hose is a very big job.....impossible to do along the roadside and you'd pay a repair shop a small fortune to do the job, if they'd even be willing to try.

Far better to replace it before it fails, and under non-adverse conditions.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Don B (07-31-2015), EZDriver (08-02-2015), someguywithajag (08-02-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

The heater portion can be replaced with a aftermarket inline coolant heater.

The only difference is that it won't be molded in. The aluminum casting
will show. The installation process is to cut a piece out of the hose,
slip the remaining pieces on and clamp.

Those heaters, in my mind, are far better than block heaters because
they circulate the coolant by convection.

Whether you choose to find another hose, forget the heater, or add the heater,
replace the hose since you have it all apart anyways

If you are a forward thinking packrat you can always keep the old hose
as a spare.

someguywithajag (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I will just replace the heated hose with the non-heated version--not really a need for extreme measures here in Vancouver; knock on wood--and keep the old heated one as a back-up.

Wish me luck

Old 08-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by someguywithajag
Thanks for the tips guys.

I think I will just replace the heated hose with the non-heated version--not really a need for extreme measures here in Vancouver; knock on wood--and keep the old heated one as a back-up.

Wish me luck
Ohhh nice! ur in vancouver too? Im actually in Richmond, we should total meet up for a coffee sometime.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
Ohhh nice! ur in vancouver too? Im actually in Richmond, we should total meet up for a coffee sometime.
Yup, Surrey. Totally

Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Yup, Surrey. Totally
Sounds good, I do need to fix my rear suspension somewhere next week, so i guess i shall message you somewhere after.

Jacky

Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 AM

I do need to fix my rear suspension somewhere next week
Why do you have to get your rear suspension fixed?

I ask because when I went to get an alignment done, because the rear wheels have a very obvious negative camber angle, the mechanic told me that the control arms were bent. Which I find very hard to believe.

His solution was to either buy new control arms from the dealer or obtain a complete rear suspension.

Somehow I was less than convinced and sought advice from another mechanic. Who told me that the angles would sort themselves out after I got the wheels aligned.

I have not decided whom to believe. Especially since I am working,ever so slowly, on the front end*.

So do let us know how it turns out with the rear suspension.

*Replacing the exhaust valves in the cylinder head, renewing head gasket, rebuilding the leaking steering rack, replacing all the bushings on the front suspension, rebuilding the front brake calipers, sanding and repainting the front coil springs and the anti-sway bar, new AC compressor and condenser (btw alibaba is your source for cheap automotive parts--I got a new AC compressor for ~$100), minor electrical stuff (J-gate lights, LCD clock, neutral switch) AND this stupid radiator hose.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Why do you have to get your rear suspension fixed?

I ask because when I went to get an alignment done, because the rear wheels have a very obvious negative camber angle, the mechanic told me that the control arms were bent. Which I find very hard to believe.

His solution was to either buy new control arms from the dealer or obtain a complete rear suspension.

Somehow I was less than convinced and sought advice from another mechanic. Who told me that the angles would sort themselves out after I got the wheels aligned.

I have not decided whom to believe. Especially since I am working,ever so slowly, on the front end*.

So do let us know how it turns out with the rear suspension.

*Replacing the exhaust valves in the cylinder head, renewing head gasket, rebuilding the leaking steering rack, replacing all the bushings on the front suspension, rebuilding the front brake calipers, sanding and repainting the front coil springs and the anti-sway bar, new AC compressor and condenser (btw alibaba is your source for cheap automotive parts--I got a new AC compressor for ~$100), minor electrical stuff (J-gate lights, LCD clock, neutral switch) AND this stupid radiator hose.
well it was all rainbow and sunshine till few days ago when it started to clunk, feels like one lf thr bushings just fell off or something, clunks everytime when the road is uneven. I just cant take it anymore so i decided to get new shocks/bushings and new spring bushings. By the way how reliable is alibaba parts? lol isnt it full of chinese parts ? I might need an exhaust manifold since my had tiny cracks on them.

As for your problem, usually camber is not adjustable ? only the toe, so maybe it is the toe ? did you jack the car up to check the control arm?
Jgate light is like the easiest thing ever! Lcd clock might be more challenging ( easier if u have another set of hands)

Last edited by FrozenApple; 08-03-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

rear camber is adjustable on the traditional Jaguar suspension including
the XJ40/X300. the control arm would have to take a huge smack to bend.

when toe-in is reduced at the rear, the tires will stand up just a tiny bit.

but, the real adjustment is done by installing spacers at the halfshaft to differential
output shaft joint.

most vehicles leave the factory with 4mm spacer.

the spacers are available in 3.5mm to 7.5mm thicknesses.

the effect is around 0.19* per 0.5mm added thiickness.

as tempting as it might be to stack spacers, it is not a good
practice due to the registration mechanism built into the
joint. unless you are willing to drill and rosette weld the
spacers into one unit.

search for threads in the X300/X308/X100 sections for further info.

there are also spring packers which can be installed at the top of
the spring to raise the ride height which will also reduce negative
camber.

someguywithajag (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 AM

well it was all rainbow and sunshine till few days ago when it started to clunk, feels like one lf thr bushings just fell off or something, clunks everytime when the road is uneven. I just cant take it anymore so i decided to get new shocks/bushings and new spring bushings. By the way how reliable is alibaba parts? lol isnt it full of chinese parts ? I might need an exhaust manifold since my had tiny cracks on them.

As for your problem, usually camber is not adjustable ? only the toe, so maybe it is the toe ? did you jack the car up to check the control arm?
Jgate light is like the easiest thing ever! Lcd clock might be more challenging ( easier if u have another set of hands)
Sounds like the shocks are bad alright. Wish you luck.

Camber is adjustable on XJR so that's why I was suspicious when the mechanic told me to install new parts. No I have not jacked up the car to check the control arms yet; I hope to solve this problem before winter

I have a question about the J-gate lights; which bulbs do they take? I searched the forums and the it seems that the bulbs required are from Radioshack (no. 272-1154, 12v, 50 mA) but Radioshack isn't around anymore. Where can I find a replacement?

Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by plums
rear camber is adjustable on the traditional Jaguar suspension including
the XJ40/X300. the control arm would have to take a huge smack to bend.

when toe-in is reduced at the rear, the tires will stand up just a tiny bit.

but, the real adjustment is done by installing spacers at the halfshaft to differential
output shaft joint.

most vehicles leave the factory with 4mm spacer.

the spacers are available in 3.5mm to 7.5mm thicknesses.

the effect is around 0.19* per 0.5mm added thiickness.

as tempting as it might be to stack spacers, it is not a good
practice due to the registration mechanism built into the
joint. unless you are willing to drill and rosette weld the
spacers into one unit.

search for threads in the X300/X308/X100 sections for further info.

there are also spring packers which can be installed at the top of
the spring to raise the ride height which will also reduce negative
camber.
Thank you sir. You may have just saved me a small fortune!

I just had a gut feeling that replacing the entire rear suspension may not be the wisest course of action to take.

I will surely search for these relevant threads. Thanks again

Old 08-06-2015, 12:51 AM

By the way how reliable is alibaba parts? lol isnt it full of chinese parts ? I might need an exhaust manifold since my had tiny cracks on them.)

As for alibaba, yes it is filled--more than half at least--with Chinese part suppliers. But I had no choice Jaguar wanted, last I recall (it is no longer available for purchase on their heritage website), 595 pound sterling or so. Which equated to almost $1,200.

I thought that was an absurd amount. And not wanting to place my trust in a used compressor (even the cheapest used one was about $300).

So I went with alibaba, can't beat $100 for a new compressor. I figure if it fails I can still replace it at least 12 times before going to the dealer

No idea about the exhaust manifold though...