XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

need diff spider & side gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default need diff spider & side gears

Hello
I pulled the whole rear end out of my 95 XJR due to noise and band feelings, I was going to replace output bearings and seals but noticed metal slivers inside ( crap ) and could feel a slight notchyness, so time for full rebuild.
I would normally do myself, but do to personal circumstances, chose to use a locale re builder, got a rebuild kit, bearings and seals, but upon them opening up found that the 2 side gears and the 4 spider gears have lots of wear on them. But they are not able to find them, though any of their suppliers. And I have spends days looking as well. Nothing. There are lots of referencing the Salisbury is almost the same as the Dana 44 ( but this is always regarding the early XJ6s series 1,2,3 ) not to mention X300. but I have seen not one post or catalog listing that the internal parts are in fact exactly the same. Can anyone tell me if Dana 44 side and spider gears will if fact work in the Salisbury ? or baring that I have seen a posting about someone putting in a aftermarket limited slip from Summit is that a viable option as well.
I know I could have just bought a rebuilt one from Coventry West but @ $1,100 plus shipping and the $350 core charge and as mine has unusable side and spider gears, that would be $1,450 plus freight.
So if I could get the Dana gears to work great. or even an aftermarket power loc unit for $315 I would be money ahead
So does anybody know for sure if the Dana gears work in the Salisbury ?
Thanks for your help
Darryl

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by barchettaboy
Hello
I pulled the whole rear end out of my 95 XJR due to noise and band feelings, I was going to replace output bearings and seals but noticed metal slivers inside ( crap ) and could feel a slight notchyness, so time for full rebuild.
I would normally do myself, but do to personal circumstances, chose to use a locale re builder, got a rebuild kit, bearings and seals, but upon them opening up found that the 2 side gears and the 4 spider gears have lots of wear on them. But they are not able to find them, though any of their suppliers. And I have spends days looking as well. Nothing. There are lots of referencing the Salisbury is almost the same as the Dana 44 ( but this is always regarding the early XJ6s series 1,2,3 ) not to mention X300. but I have seen not one post or catalog listing that the internal parts are in fact exactly the same. Can anyone tell me if Dana 44 side and spider gears will if fact work in the Salisbury ? or baring that I have seen a posting about someone putting in a aftermarket limited slip from Summit is that a viable option as well.
I know I could have just bought a rebuilt one from Coventry West but @ $1,100 plus shipping and the $350 core charge and as mine has unusable side and spider gears, that would be $1,450 plus freight.
So if I could get the Dana gears to work great. or even an aftermarket power loc unit for $315 I would be money ahead
So does anybody know for sure if the Dana gears work in the Salisbury ?
Thanks for your help
Darryl
Darryl,
I really do not know if thse Dana gears will work or not, but i do suggest that you check the junkyard, there are many x300 sitting in the junkyard and i'm sure one of them has a diff that you can use to strip out for parts and such and its prob going to be alot cheaper then buying a brand new refurb ones.

Jacky