XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New Clock!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Clock!

Now I can say everything works, even the clock. I bought a small digital clock on EBAY & fitted it in place of the old clock. It took some doing but now I'm very happy with it. It actually looks better in the dark than the picture shows. The dark pic seem to confuse the auto settings of my camera. To get at the clock for time changes, battery, etc I just have to pop off the bezel. The clock comes right out because the bezel holds it in.

Attached Thumbnails New Clock!-sdc10693.jpg   New Clock!-sdc10690.jpg   New Clock!-sdc10711.jpg   New Clock!-sdc10688.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Nice work

Cheers
DD

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks good , I have my clock out and would like to know what clock you got on ebay , a number or some kind of ID , so I can do mine , I would want mine to look like yours , Thanks for your help, Dennis Satterfield

Last edited by Satterfield; 06-21-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Satterfield
It looks good , I have my clock out and would like to know what clock you got on ebay , a number or some kind of ID , so I can do mine , I would want mine to look like yours , Thanks for your help, Dennis Satterfield
Well, when I said "it took some doing" it was a bit understated but here goes:
I used the existing black clock housing, the white plastic back light reflector housing, the diffuser & the bezel, all with modifications. The old ribbon cable & LCD screen are discarded.
- In the black clock housing, the time set & the 12/24 hour buttons & the internal framework that housed the buttons need to be cut out. I did this with a coping saw.
- The white reflector needed to be modified the most; it is cut back away from the face of the clock housing until there is only a tiny rabbet left to hold the diffuser, which I eventually carefully epoxied into the rabbet . The face of the reflector with the diffuser will end up flat against the back of the clock LCD. The right side of the reflector & diffuser are cut away to allow the clock electronics to extend deeper into the housing. I modified this with a jewelers saw for the most part.
- The clock itself needed to be cut down in height to .900" (23mm) so it would fit into the black housing. This is possible because the LCD screen is inset into a clear plastic frame that is about .12" (3mm) larger than the glass LCD screen on all sides. after trimming down the plastic frame there will remain about .05" (1.25mm) plastic frame remaining around the glass LCD screen. I also cut down the right side of the frame about .08" (2mm) to facilitate centering the clock face with my altered bezel. I trimmed it in a milling machine but it could probably be shaved or sanded down. The font cover of the clock gives access to the battery & this is not used. The suction cup on the back was cut off.
-The bezel was altered by filling the right half of the bezel window & the 12/24 & time set button holes with polyester body filler. The left side of the bezel window was enlarged to the left & up & down to match the larger clock display. I did this by mounting the black clock housing in a milling machine vise & very carefully milling out the bezel opening while clipped to the housing. The opening ended up about ,725 “ ( 18.4mm) high. I used a .125” dia. (3mm) end mill. I finished the bezel with black flat black spray paint.
-The final assembly will end up with the plastic face of the clock LCD housing inset almost flush to the face of the black housing window, laying against the diffuser reflector such that the bezel can be snapped onto it's original clips. I put a small piece of foam rubber behind the bezel, against the clock battery to insure it stays in place in the circuit board.

Ta-Da! New clock!

Here's a link to the clock:
Unique Auto Car Window Dashboard Digital Transparent LCD Watch Clock | eBay

Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM

I just noticed that this clock is not from the site where I got mine. That auction has ended. I can't be positive that the one I linked is exactly the same but it does look to be.

Here's another link:

Auto Car Mini LCD Clock - USD $ 7.99

Old 06-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info. I will fix mine , Satterfield