XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

New tire size help with tramlining

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Al,
I find a useful source of information on the subject can be found in the websites of the UK based online tyres suppliers, like Tyre shoppers or black circles, where as well as price, they show all of the european statutory tyre rating information. This includes a rating for wet weather grip, noise, and fuel consumption, which have to be obtained from the statutorily mandated tests, so should be objective and consistent.
From this data, you will no doubt be astonished to learn that budget tyres generally fare less well than premium brands in the wet weather and noise categories, but usually do well on fuel consumption ( since they have none of that nasty grip thingy to scrub off energy!!)
As between premium brands, there are sometimes quite interesting distinctions too, and it is interesting to see how relative performance varies between different sizes of the same tyre.
A final wrinkle emerges when you factor in the availability of variants of tyres "tailored" to particular makes of cars, principally the german makes. Each of Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche have their own designation ( N for porsche, and MO for Mercedes), and the tyres are a few pounds more expensive. I have yet to find anyone who can definitively say what the difference is, but by switching to MO versions of the Dunlop Sport Maxes on my XJR, they seem to last much longer. Go figure!
I apologise if you have a similar system in NZ and therefore have no need of this data. As you are not buying on a budget, you are in truth unlikely to end up with a bad tyre from any of the available options.

The following users liked this post:
AL NZ (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I need to replace the 225/60 x 16 tyres .
Please give me your opinions. I am not really worried about the cost.
You didn't state what your requirements or priorities were. Wet traction? Long read life? Cornering adhesion?

I'm not sure what's available in your neck of the woods but here in the 'States 225/60x16 is a very common size with many choices.

FWIW I ran two sets of BF Goodrich Advantage TA in that size on my X300. I discovered no vices. Excellent wet traction (an important thing for me), quiet, long tread life (50k miles), V-speed rating, 98-load rating, ample cornering grip (I tried but never found the upper limit) , never had a quality/defect issue. An excellent 'all around' tire. About $100 each in the USA. Not sure if it's available elsewhere.

If you have specific priorities I'm sure you can find a tire to suit. Having no upper-ceiling on price obviously broadens your choices....but, as we all know, higher price alone doesn't guarantee you'll be getting a tire that matches your needs.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
AL NZ (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks Doug and countyjag

My criteria are a premium Tyre with good grip wet & dry, good handling, and quiet. Not so worried amount wear.
I am toying with a Michelin, maybe Primacy, or a Bridgestone Turanza .
I like the look of the big Avon Tyres but they don’t do my size.
I was going to stick with 225/60x16 - has anyone tried slightly bigger? Much bigger and I don’t think they’d clear the front wheel arch when turning.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Thanks Doug and countyjag

My criteria are a premium Tyre with good grip wet & dry, good handling, and quiet. Not so worried amount wear.
I am toying with a Michelin, maybe Primacy, or a Bridgestone Turanza .

I've heard good things about both.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

The previous owner had all four new Dunlop 235/50/18 on my X350. Couldn't bear traction control kept kicking in when wet and the road noise while cruising. I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza (more commonly known locally as "GR100") and have been quite satisfied with the grip, dry and wet, and low noise. The down side of GR100 compared with the competitors is perhaps it wears out faster. There is always some trade-off among price, wet and dry road performance, durability, etc.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Have to say that 3 years and 50,000ish miles later, my Michelin Primacy MXM4 are holding up great. I don't remember what the current tread depth is, but my recent visit to Discount Tire said they were well within spec, and visually they look to me "like new".

3 years ago I put the Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/50 on to reduce the tramlining I had with the Kumho 255 correct OEM width tires. But when the time comes, I'll likely get the MXM4 again and get them in the correct 255 as the slightly taller 245s rub a bit in the left front when turned right full lock and I now suspect the issue was with the Kumhos themselves, not so much the width.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post1102119

I think the Primacy MXM4 handle great, and have a fantastic ride. I'd definitely go with the Primacy MXM4 again.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 11-25-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to this forum for all the updates about 245/50/17 tires.

I bought a set of 17" x 8J Lamina wheels of a 2004 XK* and put on a set set of General G-Max AS05 245/50/17. Tire cost was just over $700 but got incentives to get net cost down to $550 ish.

The wheels fit perfect on my 97 Titanium XJR ( bolt right on and no adjustment of the bearing caps needed to get the center caps on the front) the tires look and feel great. I have not done many miles yet but the around town ride is smooth with negligible noise.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice paint color there

The wheels work well with the X300 as well and look really great.

My favorite OEM wheels have been Asteroids, Double Fives, and the original X300 XJR wheels, but I'll have to add these to the list for X300.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi All, Sorry if I'm pulling up an old post, but I have just got and MOT on my XJR after not using it for two years, and have rediscovered the tramlining issue! I suspect the steering rack bushes bay be a contribution, but more to the point it could do with new front tires.
I am tempted to go to 235/50/R17 based on the above comments, and they are even listed as a suitable option by a vendor. My question is - they would have a 0.7" greater circumference than the 255/50/R17 on the rear, does anyone know if that will upset the ABS / traction system? The rears don't have that much left in them ether so I might try, and then swap them out if any issues
Regards,

John

Old 10-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi All, Just to answer my own question in case of interest, I had two new 235/50/17 fitted to the front wheels on Wednesday, the rears being still 255/45/17. After two days driving to work and back motorway and B-roads, no issues with ABS or traction - and a massive improvement almost entirely eliminating the tramlining and improving steering feel. The place I bought the tires from actually had the 235s listed as an option for my car which gave some confidence, I went for Toyo Proxy Sports based on price and wet grip rating. I am happy with my choice, and will replace the rears in due course.
I had previously rebuilt the front end with the exception of the steering rack whose bushes are molded on to the end sections. I think over time these bushes get soft so that the load from the 255s deflects the rack side to side until it hits the stops, causing the worrying steering effect noted. Hence why the XJRs were fine with 255s when new and some owners have no issues if the rack has been replaced or if the bushes have not seen oil contamination etc. The narrower tires at the same pressure will give a longer footprint as well as less leverage, so less twitchy and reduced force on the rack bushes.
I am amazed what a difference 20 mm makes, the tramlining was so bad that I had been considering a swap to 16" wheels, even though I really like the originals on my car.