XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The NLA salvage yard treasure hunting thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Default The NLA salvage yard treasure hunting thread!!

It seems like there is a lot of stuff that is now NLA for the X300. Nothing that will stop you from driving but in the last two days I have seen door seals and throttle pedals.

What else is NLA?

I see a few come through the salvage yards and would be happy to pull and ship parts for cost + a bit for my time.

I mean if I am already at the salvage yard there is no reason to let those parts go to waste... but I don't know what is needed and I don't want to stockpile or sell on ebay.

What I propose here is a list of parts that people are seeking. Those that love the salvage yard like I do can pull some extra parts and make some money and we can keep our cars running longer.

What do you think?

The following users liked this post:
overtheatlantic (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Exhaust manifolds , valve covers , wheel speed sensors ( must label VIN # and position that it came off ) , Air conditioning compressor , Heater pump , X308 headlights including the mounting brackets , sunroof track parts from both X300 and X308 , Radiator lower cradle . center consul up lifting cover . Key FOBs ( DBC11510 , 315 MHz on back ) , Ignition coils ( the good ones ) , MAF sensor , Window control units , Brake booster , Harmonic balancer , Cam position sensor plastic window

Not for me but to start the list

For me : but not now

Stereo on / off knob , Headlight teaddrop switch , Driver side airbag , Original car jack as previous owner had a roll off anomaly , right front wheel well liner , right front quarter panel aft door ding guard ( short piece ) . Lower grill opening removable middle slat if it comes in chrome . left driver door window trim ( external chrome that runs along the bottom of the window . Radiator bushings , Jaguar logo located on steering wheel , Sunroof interior panel ( any color ) . Wood on the aft seat conditioned air vents ( varnish coating condition not important ) . Right rear wheel speed senor VIN # Editing later as I find Qvhk's informative post " Factory new ABS Sensors #LJA2226AA that claim to suit all four corners actually only fit later models from 1997 (from VIN 810672). Earlier models have unique sensor-cable setup. Parts No.# are LNA2220AB (FR), LNA2221AB (FL), LNA2222AB (RR), LNA2223AB (RL). " Mine is a 755 number VIN # , Extra original radio head , J gate light plate , Good condition owners manual cover , Chrome mirrors and door handles , Top right side corner plastic engine cover fwd of toolbox , Rear seat picnic tables with required front seat back ( color not important ) , and a set of these :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-seats-193310/

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-05-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Based on my personal experience, and knowing some others have looked for these:

All sorts of ECUs and Relays
, in particular, Engine ECU, Crankshaft Position Sensor, Pre-1997 Wheel ABS Sensors (expensive but extremely difficult to remove); ABS Pump + Traction Control Unit (very rare now); Driver Seat ECU

Fuel Lines
Fuel Pipes (feed and return) underneath Fuel Tank (available new but cost a fortune to buy and ship; be careful removing them, use the quick-fit connector remover, never just pull!)

Body Exterior and Interior
The Leaper (factory original's base curves to match the bonnet; aftermarkets are dead cheap but has a flat base)
Central Rear View Mirror (mostly blurred or dripping; the auto-dim electrochromatic ones are very rare)
Radio Rack (mostly brittle and broken by now)
Bumper Centre Chrome (front and rear)
Ski Slope (mostly worn)
Blower Motors (pair, left and right, NLA new)
Battery venting tube (rare as gold now)
Instrument Cluster (mainly for the Mileage Display Unit)
Driver's Manual, Vehicle Care Handbook, etc. (although these can be downloaded from the Stickies, but it is best to have a hard copy, with the original binder)

Miscellaneous
XJR Alloy Wheels
Engine Bay Tool Box (probably not found in U.S. models)
Hazard Triangle (in the boot, only found in later models X308)
Boot Push-open Button
Full set of door locks including ignition key barrel
Electric Aerial Antenna
Overflow Bottle
Filler Cap

Lady Penelope (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

I am in the process of stripping a 96XJ6 so this info is great. Mine has exhaust manifolds with no cracks but getting them off is proving to be difficult. Both manifolds are loose from the studs but getting to the nuts that attach them to the cats is very difficult from above, any ideas? I had thought about cutting through the exhaust pipe at the bend and removing the cats and the exhaust manifolds as a unit from the top. The vehicle is outside in a field.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

The aft inside one is about 15 degrees off as it is much easier to remove all 4 from under the car with deep 15 mm sockets and extensions . To get the 15 degree off one I did not fully insert the extension into the socket to engage the pall but enough to engage the extension square points for torque . Different tool brands have a perfectly flat top surface in this area , the more expensive brands have a rounded off top and do not engage as well in this modified manor . There is a wobble extension someone reminded me of later , but in the heat of battle a standard straight will work . The short stubby adapter has too much material diameter in the critical area of concern depending on the length of the deep socket . Be careful of falling tools .

Attached Thumbnails The NLA salvage yard treasure hunting thread!!-2243we-12in-dr-x-3in-impact-wobble-ext-wfriction-ball-gp2243we.jpg   The NLA salvage yard treasure hunting thread!!-sxw2.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-05-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Scotlad (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

There is a possibility that the radiator itself since the protruding portion of it's lower edge as in seats in the long brackets saddle being comprised may be fretting as the whole lower edge is now in contact . This would be a blowout scenario if it is true . Will have to look at mine in the morning as my bracket is removed and the radiator is hanging from 2 ropes . It's dark now outside and I'm scared of the dark .

Old 12-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotlad
I am in the process of stripping a 96XJ6 so this info is great. Mine has exhaust manifolds with no cracks but getting them off is proving to be difficult. Both manifolds are loose from the studs but getting to the nuts that attach them to the cats is very difficult from above, any ideas? I had thought about cutting through the exhaust pipe at the bend and removing the cats and the exhaust manifolds as a unit from the top. The vehicle is outside in a field.
Bit pointless to do it from above, as you know very little space. Its doable but difficult and would take a lot of time. Best to do it from underneath the car, just use few extensions and they will come out easily or simply snap(half of mine usually snapped). There is enough room to get the socket and extensions from underneath onto both nuts on both manifolds.

Scotlad (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Front and rear windshields