XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Offered a fuel card for work

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Offered a fuel card for work

Hey all,

What are your thoughts on this?

Work has offered me a fuel card for my x330, meaning as long as I have the card I have free fuel, for personal use too.

Down sides are that I have to drive it for work and that they don't pay maintenance.

What do you reckon? Could be pretty fun cruising around in my Jag for work :P

Old 06-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up Absolutely yes!

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge
Hey all,

What are your thoughts on this?

Work has offered me a fuel card for my x330, meaning as long as I have the card I have free fuel, for personal use too.

Down sides are that I have to drive it for work and that they don't pay maintenance.

What do you reckon? Could be pretty fun cruising around in my Jag for work :P

I guess I'd have to ask, what is the alternative...

Would they offer you a newer, higher efficiency and arguably more reliable car versus the fuel card?

Do you already have a different car?

If the answer is "no", then it seems like a "no brainer" to accept the card to save on the fuel component of operating costs.

If the answer is "yes" to either, then I guess you'd just have to evaluate your own situation such as how reliable, how many miles and what's your goals for your Jaguar. If already a maintenance worry, and your goal is to keep a low mileage Jaguar like new, maybe driving it daily to the office isn't for you.

On the other hand, I bought my 97 XJR with about 42k miles on the odometer two years ago, and I drive it daily (mostly, some alternating with the Riviera) about 120 miles a day to work and back. It gets reasonable fuel mileage and operating costs given the other total owning/operating costs compared to a new car, and has been very reliable. The XJR now has about 70k miles, and won't be a pristine collector as I continue to drive it well past 100k miles I'm sure, but it will be well taken care of

So if I were in this position, I'd definitely say "yes" as fuel is my primary operating cost, and I drive the XJR to work most of the time already.

The following users liked this post:
Harry Dredge (06-28-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Harry,
I cant tell whether you are in the UK or not, but if you are, I think the provision of fuel by an employer attracts a benefit in kind tax charge. It is many years since I last looked into this, but from memory, the amount of extra tax you had to pay was only offset by using a reasonable amount of fuel, which implied a not inconsiderable annual mileage. Clearly an X300 makes it easier to consume fuel, but if your employer requires you to cover a lot of miles, it might be better to look at the HMRC approved mileage rates, which do not attract tax, and include an element for maintenance costs etc. All in all a bit of a minefield, but plenty of stuff on line to help guide you. If you are not in the UK, it may be you are about to enter Nirvanah....An X300 and free fuel!!

The following users liked this post:
Harry Dredge (06-28-2016)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harry,
Been there done that.

It sounds GREAT...at first.
Some companies, here in the U.S., offer a per mile incentive such as 29,39, 40 cent per mile compensation.
Others offer a fuel card such as you are describing.
Free fuel sounds great...at first.

Then comes the repair bills.
*Fuel pump - $ 750
*Transmission - $3500
*Tires - $500
*Insurance - $200/month (used for business)
*Yearly registration $?

Will they also pay those bills?
You need to have a written contract that is more than just your fuel receipts; which you turn in, never to be seen again.

Think twice.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree that there are multiple considerations.

How many miles will you be driving? Are they hard miles or easy miles? Is your Jag at a point in its life where lots of additional miles will mean lots of additional repairs that you might not otherwise have to contend with for some time if the car was driven only for pleasure?

If the annual mileage you'll be adding isn't all that much I'd be tempted to take the offer.

If you'll be adding an additional 20k-30k-40k miles per year, over and above your personal driving, then the increased repairs and wear-and-tear become a big consideration that would put you at a disadvantage. Just think of tires alone.

Do check on required changes to your insurance as well, as mentioned.

Put pencil to paper and rough-out some calculations.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Perhaps not too relevant, since the OP posted the question 9 months ago?