XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

One piece replacement roof linings

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default One piece replacement roof linings

Long shot I appreciate, but as with many owners, my Jag's headlining is sagging despite previous attempts to stick it up back up again.
Came across this UK site offering one piece replacement roof linings:-
Jaguar XJ6 / X300 - Jaguar Headlinings
I'm tempted to give it a go as mine looks terrible.
Anyone have any comments or tried a similar replacement product?
It certainly couldn't look any worse than the current one!
Thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by biffta
Long shot I appreciate, but as with many owners, my Jag's headlining is sagging despite previous attempts to stick it up back up again.
Came across this UK site offering one piece replacement roof linings:-
Jaguar XJ6 / X300 - Jaguar Headlinings
I'm tempted to give it a go as mine looks terrible.
Anyone have any comments or tried a similar replacement product?
It certainly couldn't look any worse than the current one!
Thanks.
Is it a typo where the ad says it will fit "XJ6 (X300) from 1986 to 1994" given that the X300 was produced from 94/95 to 97?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Removing and recovering the headliner is not a difficult task and is a great deal cheaper - there are some great write-ups on it as well to be found here.

I did mine in an x308 about a week ago, took ~2 hours.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I spoke to the company in the link and they headliners for most Jags.

Just give them your vehicle details and they'll send the right one.

Also as said you can buy the material for around £75 inc p&p.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a simple DIY project. I'd order the material and just DIY it. scissors and the proper glue and a quick read on the forums (maybe a set of extra hands) is all you need. Just use a nice stiff brush or similar and get all the old crud off the board first. And WASH YOUR HANDS!!! More than once during the process. Nothing more annoying then installing a new headliner and seeing a grease spot you just created and having to clean an otherwise new headliner straight off.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
I don't think though that re-covering with material is an option, because there is nothing to re-cover! Certainly no 'board'
Sure, the roof lining material is still there (sagging), but above it is only the metal roof. Whatever was between the cloth material and the roof seems to have disintegrated. I recall on one of my re-sticking attempts, when pulling back the material, there was nothing solid behind just bits of the old 'board' which was now completely rotted and fell away in bits. All I could stick the cloth to was the metal of the roof!
That's why I'm looking at the option of ordering the complete headlining which a one-piece roof unit rather than just the material to do a re-cover.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 AM

Depending on where you live you may have a Jag breaker near you.

I have one near me and he only wants £15 for second hand board but it has to be collected.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM

Coastal area of Spain. Many of the X300 I see are on tourist plates, only a very few I've seen are Spanish. The chances on finding one at a scrap yard are very, very low.
Thanks.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM

I think the delivery cost to Spain will be quite high.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikesmith2
I think the delivery cost to Spain will be quite high.
Maybe you're correct Mike, but one of the few disadvantages of living here is that sometimes it's necessary to order items from the rest of the world that cost more to deliver. When I order and get to the checkout on the site, I'll find out!

Last edited by biffta; 05-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:01 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

HI biffta i am srtippng me 95 x300 with good headlineing, if it any use to you its yours if you pay for the shippng .have to take it out of car, which is outside covered up of cause "good old o/k weather" may be next weekend before i get to take it out

Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by x300man
HI biffta i am srtippng me 95 x300 with good headlineing, if it any use to you its yours if you pay for the shippng .have to take it out of car, which is outside covered up of cause "good old o/k weather" may be next weekend before i get to take it out
Thanks for that, but can you tell me what actual is the headlining you will be taking out? Is it a 'solid' one-piece item with cloth and backing material attached or are you meaning just the fabric? I have the fabric albeit sagging, the problem is that what is/was behind it has rotted away and therefore the fabric has nothing to adhere to.
Don't know whether you looked at the link I posted, but what they appear to be selling is a whole one-piece headlining, both the fabric and the backing material.
More info' please and once again thanks - much appreciated.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 AM

it will be " complete" headlining will try and take it out this weekend, any tips would be helpfull as not done this before, door seals and screen rubbers have to come out do there

Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 AM

as got a couple of days off,went to take out sorry mine has "sunroof " apols if no good

Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by x300man
it will be " complete" headlining will try and take it out this weekend, any tips would be helpfull as not done this before, door seals and screen rubbers have to come out do there
I recently recovered my headlining and while it's an easy job, the most difficult part is actually getting the headliner out! It can be done, you just have to "go for it". After removing all of the various clips/visors, overhead centre console, plastic trim along the tops of the doors (these just prise off) handgrips etc. the lining is then only held in place by a few tangs along the side edges, bent upwards, that the lining sits down onto. I found that by letting the front seats forward fully and lowering the backrest fully, the lining can be removed out through the front passenger door.

It's a twist and turn action, with the need to actively bend, or fold the liner somewhat. Yes, sounds terrible, but it works, with no ill effect to the headliner board itself. You just have to be brave and the board will spring back into shape once removed.

You can leave the intrusion sensors in place if you like, just disconnect the plug behind the roof centre console. Or remove them, by pressing the plastic rivets back through the plastic backing plate on the inside of the headliner. Obvious when you see it in person.

I have some pics if needed, but won't be back home to get at them until the weekend.

Hope this helps.