XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

P0727 - P1775 + stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default P0727 - P1775 + stall

Hey Lads,

Wife nursed the XJ6 home this morning and took the - ugh, BMW X5 to work instead.

She said she stopped at a cross street and all the dash lights came on and the car had no power. CEL was on as was the transmission warning lamp.
After the car sat for 20 minutes or so, the tranny warning cleared itself but the CEL stayed illuminated. I have since cleared the codes.

From my research, it appears that this can be caused from a stall condition which the car did to me just now on a text drive. However, this time it did not throw any CEL or tranny warning.

It seems there is consensus that this may be caused by a faulty CKPS so I was wondering if anyone out there had this issues that was resolved by replacing the CKPS?

Car idles perfectly and the transmission service is about 10K old with new filter and fluid. Seems as though this is very random as I drove around for about 20 minutes without a hickup, tranny shifting smoothly, etc. The pulled up to a stop sign and car stalled out.

Throttle body has been cleaned very well and most usual suspects on the XJ6 have been dealt with.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

You failed to mention the number of miles. But I will respond anyway as I had the same thing for quite a long time. The problem seems to be a stalling issue caused by interrupted plug firing after a short drive normally around 20 miles or so and then idling. Mine got so that it would idle OK but as soon as I wanted power it would stall for just a second or so. If I kept my foot steady it would pickup and keep going. Lights would come on and then go off.

My solution was to change the coils with a set from japthug and sealing the cam cover really well. Had a lot of oil in some plug wells. I have not had this happen again for a long time. Now this is assuming that everything else is OK as well like air filter and throttle body clean.
Good luck.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
You failed to mention the number of miles. But I will respond anyway as I had the same thing for quite a long time. The problem seems to be a stalling issue caused by interrupted plug firing after a short drive normally around 20 miles or so and then idling. Mine got so that it would idle OK but as soon as I wanted power it would stall for just a second or so. If I kept my foot steady it would pickup and keep going. Lights would come on and then go off.

My solution was to change the coils with a set from japthug and sealing the cam cover really well. Had a lot of oil in some plug wells. I have not had this happen again for a long time. Now this is assuming that everything else is OK as well like air filter and throttle body clean.
Good luck.
Thanks for this.
Car is at 185K so she is up there in age.

I have new cam cover gaskets and the throttle body is as clean as a whistle. Also replaced a lot of other things too but have not changed the coils as I have never had an issue with them - plugs are new-ish

So to be clear, you have had these exact same symptoms and codes? Just want to know whether or not I give the CKPS a shot or redirect my focus to coils?

Bernie

Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

I never had codes probably since it was of such short duration and mine is a 95. Your computer is probably more sensitive. If your coils are old go for them. And get the ones from Japthug in Japan. He has gone back to the original maker and got them to make them again. Every one seems to have good luck with those and not the after market. I think they run around $85 each, not over $400 at Jaguar which are probably after market at Jaguar. Also I have never had good luck with installing cam cover gaskets without sealant. Last time I used lots of black silicon. One plug had so much oil in it when I did all this work you couldn't even see the plug. Keep track and make sure they stay dry.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
I never had codes probably since it was of such short duration and mine is a 95. Your computer is probably more sensitive. If your coils are old go for them. And get the ones from Japthug in Japan. He has gone back to the original maker and got them to make them again. Every one seems to have good luck with those and not the after market. I think they run around $85 each, not over $400 at Jaguar which are probably after market at Jaguar. Also I have never had good luck with installing cam cover gaskets without sealant. Last time I used lots of black silicon. One plug had so much oil in it when I did all this work you couldn't even see the plug. Keep track and make sure they stay dry.

Hope this helps.
Ok,

Seems like something else is going on.
Took the car out for a drive yesterday and it ran perfectly for a while. Went in to the bank to do some business and when I went out the car stalled as soon as I started moving. It kept doing that over and over again until finally it started running normally. It did not throw any dash lights this time but I will check the computer with my reader to see if anything got logged in there. You might be onto something with the coils.

Bernie

Old 08-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by razorboy
Ok,

Seems like something else is going on.
Took the car out for a drive yesterday and it ran perfectly for a while. Went in to the bank to do some business and when I went out the car stalled as soon as I started moving. It kept doing that over and over again until finally it started running normally. It did not throw any dash lights this time but I will check the computer with my reader to see if anything got logged in there. You might be onto something with the coils.

Bernie
No codes stored either

Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by razorboy
No codes stored either
The coils are a very well known problem. They do not last forever. If they have never been replaced in your car they are way overdue. The only decision you have is wether you want to pay over $400 for each one or around $85 for each.

Do a search "man" This subject has been discussed and cussed for years.