XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Popping Noise When Brake Peddle Depressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping Noise When Brake Peddle Depressed

Hi -
New to the forum, and new to Jags. Have a 1996 XJ6 VDP and just replaced front shocks. Now, I have a popping noise that occurs when I depress the brake peddle. It happens only once, and only when I depress the peddle, but it happens every time. I can be moving or in park, and the popping noise will happen. It sounds like its coming from the glove box and actually sounds just like a pebble hitting the windshield. That's actually what I thought was happening when I first noticed the sound. Has anyone experienced this before?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a locking mechanism on the gearshift that "pops" when you press the brake pedal. It makes a small noise as it's releasing the lock on the shifter. Without pressing the brake pedal you can't move the shifter out of park, and the noise you hear is when that mechanism releasing the level. That'll also be why it vaguely sounds like it's coming from the direction of the glove box.

I've had my Jag for 6 years and it's alway done this, never had any issues with it, I just kind of assumed it was normal. Some of the more experienced members may clarify if it's a problem.

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
azjagguy (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by notthemaniusedtobe
There's a locking mechanism on the gearshift that "pops" when you press the brake pedal. It makes a small noise as it's releasing the lock on the shifter. Without pressing the brake pedal you can't move the shifter out of park, and the noise you hear is when that mechanism releasing the level. That'll also be why it vaguely sounds like it's coming from the direction of the glove box.

I've had my Jag for 6 years and it's alway done this, never had any issues with it, I just kind of assumed it was normal. Some of the more experienced members may clarify if it's a problem.

Hope that helps.
The gearshift lock mechanism that you talk about, is only used when the car is in park, preventing a gear from being selected, unless the brake pedal is depressed. The OP seems to have this popping noise at all times, including when driving. If the gearshift solenoid activates when driving, there might be a fault on the brake pedal switch (in behind the actual brake pedal).

Does the shift lock solenoid operate when you press the brake pedal? It should make an audible "click" rather than a "pop" and the sound will come from below the ski slope beside the gear shift, which is where it's located.

Otherwise, I would have a good look see down around the brake calipers etc. just to ensure that nothing was disturbed when your shocks were changed, as the two may well be related. Ensure that the calipers, dust shields etc. are all tight and snug.

Just a thought.

Last edited by sogood; 01-23-2015 at 05:40 AM.
azjagguy (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks John and Sogood. John, this popping noise does happen while driving as well, so I don't think it's the locking mechanism you referred to, but I appreciate the info, since I didn't know that. Sogood, I haven't noticed the "click" to which you refer, so I'll check on that tonight. And I had planned on checking the brakes this week end.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I missed the part about happening all the time, my bad.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

'just replaced front shocks' - was the noise happening before this is or has it started since the replacement? If it has only started following the replacement, check over all fastenings that were disturbed.

The gearshift interlock makes a soft click and it's right next to the shift lever but you say the noise is coming from the right and forwards of that.

My first thought was a failed metalastik Vee Mount on the front suspension allowing metal to metal contact under braking but as the noise happens both moving and stationary, you should be able to discount this.

You're 'lucky' it happens in Park as this will make isolating the source easier. Jack up the vehicle and remove the right hand front wheel. Have an assistant press the brake pedal so you can see the action at the caliper. Check for sticking pistons or deforming flexi hose under pressure. If all looks good, repeat for the other side - noise location is notoriously difficult from the driver's seat!

Graham

azjagguy (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM
Default Re: Popping Noise

Hi Graham -

Thanks for the suggestion. The noise wasn't happening prior to shock replacement, so I will check the fastenings and removing the wheel as you suggested. I had planned on doing just that this week end, but time has gotten away from me, so I will shoot for next week end.