XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions

I have been doing some reflecting of late and I think I am about ready to sell my XJR. Not 100% there yet...but close. My wife and I have had plans to travel the country in an RV after I retire, but that's not for 10 years. I have known people in my life who waited for retirement to do things only to have their health fail them shortly after. This gets me thinking I want to start sooner, rather than wait. I get four weeks vacation each year at my job with a fifth week added in 3 more years. If I do this it would be time to "Thin the Herd" so to speak. That would involve selling the Jag, my wife's '68 Camaro and our 2001 1/2 ton shorty Silverado P/U. Then use the proceeds towards a heavier duty truck and a 28-30 foot RV Trailer.

So, I am looking for opinions from the collective on what to ask for my Black on Black 1995 XJR. I am the 5th owner according to CarFax but I think they counted when the car changed states as 2 owners... so, 4th or 5th. I purchased the Jag in 2011. The Car is in Very Good to Excellent condition inside and out. It has NO rust anywhere and I store it inside over the few bad winter months we get here in Southwestern Missouri. No evidence by visual or carfax of any collisions. I suspect that at some point it the clear coat was resprayed. the body panels are straight and line up perfect. Low miles at 84,000. Leather is perfect, no rips, worn spots or holes. (The cup holders still work!) The wood is all in good shape. The steering wheel leather and wood are perfect. Carpets are clean and not worn. The OEM Jaguar floor mats are good but a little faded. Heater works as it should and the A/C is ice cold. Windows have been professionally tinted. Power seats and the Tilt-Tele steering column memory all work, as do the windows and locks. Two working remote Key-Fobs and two original keys. I've installed the aluminum trim around the gauges and a beautiful real wood shift knob with Growler and "Supercharged" inlay. I have some of the receipts of work done over the years and all the receipts for what's been done while I have owned it. Here is a list of what has been done since I purchased it...

New tires, Kumho Ecsta 245-50r17, Aprox 8,000 miles on them.
Replace transmission mount with OEM Jaguar parts.
Replace Power antenna mast.
Replace both exhaust manifolds, gaskets and "olives" with new OEM Jaguar parts.
Replace Battery.
The previous owner and I both used synthetic oil for every oil change. You can see under the cam cover in one of the photo's its clean, no sludge.

Recent work, what I have been calling its "20 year Service"...

Replace...
  • All Coolant Hoses (Some OEM Jaguar, Some URO Parts)
  • All Heater Hoses (Some OEM Jaguar, Some URO Parts)
  • Water Pump (Rebuilt, British Parts International)
  • Thermostat and Gasket (Stant)
  • Water Rail Gaskets
  • Water Manifold to Engine Gasket (OEM Jaguar)
  • Vacuum Lines
  • Intake Manifold Gasket (OEM Jaguar)
  • Cam Cover Gasket and Spark Plug Well Seals (Eurospare)
  • Crankcase Vent Hose (URO Parts)
  • New Alternator and Water pump Drive Belt
  • New A/C Drive Belt
  • New Supercharger Drive Belt (OEM Jaguar)
  • All 3 Idler Pulleys (OEM Jaguar)
  • Front and Rear Rubber Brake Lines (Raybestos)
  • Front and Rear Brake Pads (Akebono EURO Ultra Premium Ceramics)
  • Front and Rear Rotors (StopTec High Carbon, Slotted)
  • Fuel Filter (AC Delco)
  • Air Filter (Wix)
  • Radiator Mounting Bushings (OEM Jaguar)
  • A/C Condenser Mounting Bushings (URO Parts)
  • Engine Oil (Mobile 1, 15w50)
  • Oil Filter
  • Coolant (Valvoline Zerex G-05)
  • Front Shocks (Monroe OE Spectrum)(I have the matching rears, but not installed yet.)
  • Crank Position Sensor (Lucas OEM Replacement)
  • Spark Plugs

Install/Repair...
  • Installed "Andy Bracket" (5 degree timing advance)
  • Brake Fluid Flush
  • Clean Throttle Body
  • Installed Oil Catch Can
  • Repainted, re-lettered and cleared coil cover and air inlet.
  • Repainted and Cleared Valve cover "British Racing Green"

Defects...not many. The headliner is sagging in the back. The clock digits come and go. Last fall the sunroof stopped working after I tried to raise it in "Vent" for the first time, it always worked fine in normal "roll back". The volume control on the radio can be touchy at times and I have never tried the tape player or CD changer. The heated seats do not seem to work, but I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that they have an external temp sensor and only work when its below a preset temp? There is a small door ding in the right front fender I may have repaired by a "Paint-less Dent" guy before I list. Last week the "Trac Fail" and "ABS" lights came on but I'm sure its the common bad connections in the ABS control box and I will fix those if that's what it is.

KBB sees it as a used car and puts it at a private seller price of $5436.00. NADA however, puts it into the "Collector Car" category and prices it at $8,750.00 low retail. I do not see many come up for sale locally or on E-bay, especially with low miles. So what do you all think? Are these still loosing value, gaining value or just flat? Its kind of a rare car, but also with a real narrow market of potential buyers.

Attached Thumbnails Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-1.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-2.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-5-2-.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-6.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-7.jpg  

Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-0314151658a.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-after-2.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-after-3.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-after-4.jpg   Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-0329151018a.jpg  

Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions-0329151018b.jpg  
Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Did you replace, repaint the calipers and add the "R" logo somehow?

Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Did you replace, repaint the calipers and add the "R" logo somehow?

Yes, the logo's I found on E-Bay. They are sort of a "Dry Transfer" type of thing. I sealed them in with some High Temp clear. Remains to be seen how they hold up, but I like the look.
Robert

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Well if for some reason something happens to the rest of the car, I want your maple window switch surrounds.... *laugh*

That's one thing on the 96 & 97 XJRs I miss, that they deleted those wood surrounds. I keep an eye out for them used all the time, no luck yet. There is one NOS drivers door birds eye maple switch surround/bezel in the UK for really cheap, but it is for a RHD car unfortunately.

Good luck with the sale. It's a sharp looking car

Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I suggest you run it up the flag pole and see who salutes. Tout the strengths, identify any weaknesses, and provide plenty of photos.

When I finally sold my XKR 2002 coupe, I was ready to cancel the last appointment and that buyer turned out to be the one who met my price within $500 and let me drive it another month while he was out of the country.

Shortly thereafter my 78 year old father offered to sell me his 1997 XJ6 and I jumped at it despite being in the market for a convertible with any form of back seat. Love these Jags. I'd buy yours if I was in the market.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Awesome looking ride. These cars are hard to justify replacing on a variety of levels:
- build quality
- classic styling yet mostly modern mechanically
- cost to acquire & maintain
- unique factor
- what else is there out there that doesn't cost so much more and compromises elsewhere?
I'm always reminded of how grateful I am to live in SoCal where we have no rust on our cars. Geography is a b*T&* some times.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Just for perspective on price range I sold my 1995 XJR recently for $2100 on Ebay

The mechanicals were great, and had essentially all the same upkeep/repairs as yours, but the paint was iffy. I advertised for weeks for $2895 and got only one looker.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Think About It!

Model years 95', 96' and 97 were the most reliable cars Jaguar ever produced according to a recent Kiplinger's report. An XJR, they only made about 6500 of them during those years. Your car is more rare than you may realize. there will be a few more years where its value stays level but then it just goes up. The less you play with aftermarket mods and other non stock branding, the more your car will be worth. If you've got 10 more years, then hang on to it and sell off whatever else. Your car will become more of a "collector" as time goes by.

If I had the money, my 96 XJR would be on its way to the most accredited restoration shop for a bumper to bumper factory spec overhaul ( I bought mine for a grand from a non appreciative previous owner who didn't maintain it well).

If it's not that close to your heart then please sell it to some one who will treat as well as you have.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

It will be of little comfort, but there are distinct signs of values picking up here in the UK, admittedly only from sub-rock bottom to rock bottom, but an uplift nevertheless. A couple of years ago you could have had a choice of taxed and tested XJRs for £1500. Now £2500/3000 to open the batting, and very few cars for sale. £6995 was the highest I could see, albeit for a car which to me eye was "pimped" with oversize wheels etc.
Your car looks lovely, and has clearly been a labour of love, but I fear you will not reap much of a financial reward just yet. Given how little it is likely to yield, I would be tempted to hold on to it. Easier said than done, I know

Old 07-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I just sold a 1996 XJR on the local craigslist advertised it for $4500 and took $3600 it was in great shape but not as loved as yours I had inquires from Texas and the west coast but to get better exposure for your car ebay would be my choice.

I just got offered a1997 XJR needing love for $800 in the DC area so good luck with the sale

Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Summer is a bad time of year to sell anything. Kids are out of school. People going on vacation etc. After school returns and peoples credit cards are paid back down things will move again until after christmas.

Selling a car like this has a problem. They are HOPEFULLY bottomed out. So if you kept it a bit longer you may get more. But currently KBB will not be your friend. You can hope to sell to a more passionate and informed Jaguar owner. Your car should be on the hit list for anyone who understands what these cars are. But they will probably not pay twice what the market is bearing.

I would say noone knows your car better than you. And few can look at a car ad for one of these cars and have the insight to truly understand what is being sold like we can having owned them. So if you take a fair look at whats out there and what has sold and value your car against them you should find your price. Maybe tack a little more on if if you are not in a rush.

I bought mine for $1k under KBB with every light on on the dash but the car in otherwise great shape. But thats the perfect buyers position for someone who can repair.

My parents bought an airstream and a diesel. Best time they've had in many years.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Well, to argue the other side.... if you market the heck out of it here, CL and somewhere like eBay I think you may be able to do OK. Although these cars do have a limited market, they do have a following. If you aren't in a hurry you can probably wait to find that one person that is specifically looking for a well maintained X300 XJR.

When we've seen them posted on eBay in good shape and especially low mileage, they seem to get a lot of interest and they usually do sell. I know of two that sold to members here for quite a bit more than the $ figures we've seen quoted here.

And I know the one I bought from Houston had others interested, I just got there first

Again, if you aren't in a hurry, I think you have a chance to get more than the norm since the car seems exceptional.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks all for the opinions....even the shall we say, "Disheartening" ones. After a 10 hour trip to Wisconsin with the wife for a family reunion over the Holiday weekend we had a lot of time talking it over. Then after looking at some new and used Travel Trailers yesterday we have decided to go ahead with the plan. Now the fun part (NOT) of selling off a few "toys".

Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Being patient and waiting for 'the right buyer' to come along will be essential, as others have mentioned.

Good luck. Looks like a great Jag !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Put an ad in Hemmings. It is more of a collector's venue.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 AM

Well, I made the mistake of using the Jag to work for the last few weeks. Man...Its smooooth...its faaaast....it corners way better than a big car should, looks good while doing it all and it smells fantastic inside. I'm smiling every time I'm in it. The wife says why don't we keep it for a while longer and maybe next summer revisit selling it. Love that woman.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that's good news!

In a similar fashion, the wife and I were perusing some photos of a first gen X100 XKR and she said "why didn't we get one of those?"

Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM

FWIW...Found an RV with the perfect floor plan but we have to order one to be built, so I put the Jag up in the for sale section here last Thursday (10/29). 326 views so far but no contact from any interested parties. Probably a bad time to sell a car this time of the year. I'm going to give it a week, then put it on Craigslist and see what happens. If no sale I'll just put it in the garage till spring and try again.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming the XJR is sold. Do you mind disclosing what you got for it? I'm in the market.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Robert,

I like what you did to the valve cover, looks neat.
Did you use a special "heat-proof" paint?

Quick Reply: Possibly thinking about selling, looking for opinions