XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Raw Fuel odour in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Raw Fuel odour in cabin

Hi, just looking to see if there is anything 'common' to check right away in an effort to quickly remedy this problem, or if it's just the typical troubleshooting steps as with any car.

Problem:

Took the car out for test drive before buying it and there was no fuel odour present.

The car was legally on the road for a few more months but I think the only driving done to it was by potential buyers. When I came back to buy the car the next day, she agreed to let me keep the plates and insurance on the car to drive it home to avoid the cost of a tow truck. I brought back the plates after driving the car for 2 days.

I drove the car 'full time' both days without any fuel odour present in the car. I did get $20 gas in the morning but was fine all day, no odour, the next day in the afternoon I went for coffee, and when I got back inside I could smell the raw fuel odour. Quickly looked under the hood, under the car and in the trunk all around the fuel tank, and saw no evidence of fuel leak. Drove it home. this has been a couple weeks now. sometimes after driving it the odour appears in the cabin but at any given moment I can smell the fuel odour in the trunk; strong. After not driving/starting it for 2 days the odour does subside from the cabin but remains in the trunk. I see no wet spots on any of the hoses/lines at the tank.

I checked the forums for similar issues but found nothing pertaining to this.

Charcoal canister?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You more than likely WON'T see wet spots, as gasoline evaporates quickly, leaving only the stench that can stay around for days. Here's my recommendation:

Get some plain newsprint or brown paper (such as pieces of brown paper bags), and wrap the fuel lines that are near the trunk. If fuel gets on the paper, it will discolor, then you'll know where the leak is.

You most certainly have a leak. Although it may be a small one, a little gasoline goes a long way in the stink area.

Incidentally, do your fuel lines run into the rear of the trunk (as mine do in my 76)? If so, and if this is where your fuel pump is, check to make sure the hoses aren't cracked, nor anything.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a smell of fuel in the boot and it turned out to be a leak in the fuel line. It only leaked when the engine was running so it was hard to find.

Fuel lines rotting are common on the X300 as the location is a water trap
I recently had the whole line replaced with a rubber pipe running up the centre of the car near the brake pipes.
No more petrol smell