XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rear suspension done!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Rear suspension done!!

Finally, after listening to the infamous "clunk clunk" spoiling an otherwise perfect ride, I bit the bullet and spent the weekend replacing both shocks.

It's do-able and my knuckles will heal in no time! As mentioned in another post, I found it worthwhile to check out how easily the lower shock mounting bolts would come undone. As is common, they have a tendency to seize in place, inside the lower shock bush. This just saves pulling a ton of stuff apart, only to be foiled by a bolt.

Anyway, job done and the difference is fantastic. Smooth, no knocks, clunks or rattles. A tiny bit stiffer, with better handling on the rear end.

Now a couple of minor cosmetic jobs on the to-do list and so happy to have ticked off the rear shocks, made possible in no small part by the huge volume of invaluable posts on the forum, so thanks to all who "helped"!!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you just change the shocks or some bushes as well?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM

I changed the bushes with the ones that came with the shocks (Monroe) but used the original big "mushroom" bushes that were there as they were in excellent shape. Yes, I know, while I was at it I should have changed them also, but that's for another day perhaps. It's like any of these jobs you do, once you tackle them once, it seems like a walk in the park to go there again. I still have a few other easier bushes to do, like roll bar, drop links etc. But for now, it's heavenly!

The following users liked this post:
gimenofm (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. Mine has started knocking a bit at the back but I need to have a look at what it is. It is more intuitive to me to think that it will be one of the bushes rather than the shocks, but we'll see.

I am also considering just buying a second hand rear axle, refurbishing the whole thing and then just swap it

Glad it's running as it should...these cars are just so nice!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM

It seems that generally, or more often, clunking from the rear end seems to be caused by worn lower shock bushes. These can be replaced on their own and would be a quicker fix. If everything else checks out, why give yourself unnecessary work? I'd imagine that the bush could be replaced in situ, with the spring compressed and the hub dropped. A much quicker fix!

My daily driver is a 4.0 litre and my donor is a 3.2 so many bits like transmission and diff are not the same. Otherwise, I am stripping many bits out of it by degrees and refurbing them, ready to replace if and when the need arises.

Still, that list never seems to get much shorter...................