XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Receiver drier a consumable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Receiver drier a consumable?

Is the air cond. receiver drier a part that should be replaced as a maintenance item? I never really thought of any of the air cond. parts (beside the drive belt) as a consumable.

I have been reading a few posts recently about air cond. problems and a few of them are caused by this relatively inexpensive part. I saw one post where a member said that it should be replaced every 2 years. Thoughts?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Yes , depending on the gamble of a " on fail " system clog and then replacement with a bigger problem to resolve vs. the cost of " ahead of the game " freon evacuation and recharge with a new dryer on a scheduled basis . 2 years is a part sellers biased number in my opinion . Nothing last forever like tennis shoes . This has always been an issue with airliner dispatch to a flight reliability above a target number vs. angry passengers . Been there , done that at the gate as they wait .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 07-20-2017 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scotlad (07-20-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

It contains a desiccant to absorb and trap any moisture that might otherwise freeze and cause blockage inside the system. It also acts as a filter to catch any metal shavings off the working parts of the compressor as well as storing some of the lubricant that flows through the system. As long as the system remains sealed up and functional, the part is just fine. If the system has to be opened up to the atmosphere for more than a couple of hours for a repair or the compressor fails and needs replacing, then replace it. I've heard of people putting them in the oven for a few hours to dry out the desiccant and reuse them, but only if the wife isn't home.

Scotlad (07-21-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotlad
Is the air cond. receiver drier a part that should be replaced as a maintenance item? I never really thought of any of the air cond. parts (beside the drive belt) as a consumable.
Opinions will obviously vary.

I wouldn't consider it a consumable.

I've many cars with zero a/c problems even after many years of use with no routine servicing or parts replacements at all. I view the entire system as 'repair as needed' and 'leave well enough alone'. No preventative/sympathetic work needed. Possible exception: cleaning debris from the condenser.

However, whenever the refrigerant system is opened for any repair, replacing the drier is good (and common) practice.

Cheers
DD

Scotlad (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

For some reason this particular drier design seems to fail and the filter bag deteriorates.

This allows dessicant beads to escape and clog the metal line to the EVAP CORE as well as the Expansion Valve.

It might be preventive maintenance to renew the drier every once in a while (10 years??)

I don't see this happening often with other styles of driers.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
al_roethlisberger (07-22-2017), Doug (07-22-2017), Scotlad (07-23-2017)