XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Removing the seat controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Removing the seat controls

My '95 XJ6 passenger seat controls work fine, with one exception. The seat moves forward, but not backwards.

I'm hoping the switch just needs cleaned, or a wire is pulled from the harness, or some other simple fault.

But, before I resort to applying brute force to pull the controls away, I was hoping someone could tell me how to remove the little control panel from the lower seat cushion.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Ok, why, why, why is there a little black box under the passenger seat if it doesn't have memory??????

I wired a couple test leads to the fore/aft motor and got the seat back to a comfortable position. If I need a new black box, I think I'll hold off and just put a 'backwards' lead on a momentary switch-just until I get all the other stuff worked out.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
Ok, why, why, why is there a little black box under the passenger seat if it doesn't have memory??????

I wired a couple test leads to the fore/aft motor and got the seat back to a comfortable position. If I need a new black box, I think I'll hold off and just put a 'backwards' lead on a momentary switch-just until I get all the other stuff worked out.
You've definitely eliminated a switch fault? The 'little black box' will be the Seat Module.

If (with emphasis on the ' if ' because I never had issues with my X300 seats) it's like the later XJ and XK modules, these usually fail due to a broken track on the circuit board. Instead of going for a replacement, you could open it up, look for and repair the break.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Removing the seat controls-x300-seat-module.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I will do that when I pull the seat out again.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bypass seat module to control XK8 seat motors?

Is there a straightforward aftermarket or home brewed substitute for my XK8 seat control modules?
I have 4 dead seat control modules and therefore 4 non-adjustable seats in 2 XK8's (not ideal). I've opened up all the modules and the circuit boards are generally in bad shape around the edges. I spotted a break in a trace (or so I thought) and tried to solder it together, but no success.
All I need is voltage to the motors, and I'd be happy with any simple arrangement of switches to route car voltage to seat motors.
Where can I find a schematic of the seat motor harness and pin assignments at the seat module connectors? Thanks, Mark

Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You may not have enough posts to open pdf's on the forums, but you should be able to download the JTIS21 factory manual from the sticky near the top of the forum page. That has all the schematics and procedures, although it's clumsy to work with at first.
Also, go to jagrepair.com and you will find electrical schematics.

I expect your post may be moved to the XK8 forum, where you will find more support. I

Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

But, before I resort to applying brute force to pull the controls away, I was hoping someone could tell me how to remove the little control panel from the lower seat cushion.

I'd like to hear advice on this as well. I've never been able to figure it out

Cheers
DD

Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dismount the seat?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have the same question. The driver control popped out easily, and I was able to remove switch and module to clean. I'd like to do the same on the passenger seat, but it is proving more difficult to get out. It feels like there is some sort of internal rim holding it in place, and when i insert something as a lever, it seems i am only moving the fascia of the switch. Is there a trick to removing the switch? I can use brute force but am worried I amy damage swittch so have just left it for the moment.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM

mine popped out, no brute force needed. If you can still pop out the other seat controls, do that, and make note where the retaining tabs are. maybe you can get a long thin screwdriver in to push them out of place.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I removed my driver's side seat controls today. For future reference, here is how they are secured:

The trim pulls away. It's held on by four clips and, two of which (A, B) can be manually released if the lower two buttons are removed (these just pull off). There is also some glue, but it's very weak.

EDIT: The glue is perhaps not so weak. As you can see in the pictures, the glue had not made made very good contact in that case. I just tried to take off the passenger side and it was a completely different story. The trim piece was glued very firmly onto the switch box - so firmly that the trim and switch box came out as one piece, breaking one of the lever clips that holds the swich box to the seat. Be careful! It's a pity that they chose to glue this. Obviously it was designed to be removable. My guess is that they decided that the trim was not held firmly enough, and instead of revising the clip system they elected to go the cheap/easy way and glue it.

With the trim removed you have access to the switch box:

This is attached to the seat by another four clips

The upper two are released by pinching these levers inwards:

Then you can lift it off the lower two:

Interior shots:

Open the switch box with care! There are tiny spring-loaded things in the plastic rockers (see second to last photo).

My seat was moving foward, but not backwards. As you can see, there isn't anything broken, nor are any of the contacts dirty. I cleaned them anyway, and just manually pressing the buttons in the rubber membrane, all functions work fine. However, when I put the casing back together some are again not working. I think the problem is a combination of general wear of the plastic parts and minor warping of the case preventing the rockers from depressing the buttons sufficiently - if I sqeeze the casing, they all seem to work.

EDIT: I seem to be having some success with putting spacers on the rocker that operates the seat foward/backward buttons. I stuck ~1.5mm rubber spacers on the rocker so that it pushes harder on the rubber button.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the seat controls-y4pnx0c.jpg   Removing the seat controls-y02jsga.jpg   Removing the seat controls-4r0cbjk.jpg   Removing the seat controls-whkukw8.jpg   Removing the seat controls-nyysbsf.jpg  

Removing the seat controls-0qydiic.jpg   Removing the seat controls-hpmkm0i.jpg   Removing the seat controls-2evewmp.jpg   Removing the seat controls-lngyjg5.jpg   Removing the seat controls-ajcltbz.jpg  

Last edited by Oubadah; 01-28-2013 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nitronick (01-28-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM

did you clean the contacts on the rubber sheet and the circuit board with a pencil eraser? Mine all looked clean as well, but I cleaned them all and it all worked afterward.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

did you clean the contacts on the rubber sheet and the circuit board with a pencil eraser? Mine all looked clean as well, but I cleaned them all and it all worked afterward.
I used alcohol on the drivers side and tried the pencil eraser on the passenger side, neither was sufficient. Dirty contacts isn't really the issue in my case, and even before I cleaned them they were all very responsive when I push the rubber buttons. It's the rockers that are the problem. This is what I did:

The seat back/fowards work perfectly now with those spacers, and they're not hair-trigger either - they feel just right, (but I'm still paranoid about the seat moving it'self while I'm driving ). I'm also unsure of whether those spacers are going to stay put in the long term. I might make some permanent plastic ones, glued on.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the seat controls-iycomv5.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

pfnewheart8@gmail.com I big THANKS to you for the excellent repair notes and pictures. Mine work well now but for future troubles in this area will be a great help.
Paul

Old 08-14-2021, 04:55 PM

My '95 XJ6 passenger seat controls work fine, with one exception. The seat moves forward, but not backwards.

I'm hoping the switch just needs cleaned, or a wire is pulled from the harness, or some other simple fault.

I have the same problem on my 95 XJ6. I found that if I pull the control knob off and flip it over I can run the seat back