XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replaced crank sensor and still no start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Replaced crank sensor and still no start.

Some regular posters here may remember the thread I started some months ago about my 1997 XJ6 not starting. Just for reference the URL direct to the thread is:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-start-193971/

Just today I finally had the time and opportunity to replace the crank sensor. Once I did that, I stood at the back of the car with the trunk lid open and had a friend click the key on and off a few times. Each time I heard the fuel pump replay click on and I think I heard the fuel pump run.

However when I had him try to start the car and later I tried as well, the car did the exact same thing as before. It chuffed and acted like it was going to start but never really catches and takes off.

So after being frustrated for a bit, my friend suggested I try starter fluid. So I pulled off the airbox cover and air filter so I could spray starter fluid into the mass air meter opening. The battery was getting a little low at this point but that same thing occurred. The car would not start. In fact it seemed to do less well than without the starter fluid but that might be because of the low battery.

As I stated before I have previously tried turning the car over with a noid light in one of the fuel injector harness plugs and got a good steady flash from the noid light. I also removed JUST the one coil on the first cylinder and had a spark tester in there. I got what I thought of as an occasional spark.

I am at a loss as to what could be wrong here so any and all suggestions are welcome at this point.

Is it possible I might have bad coils? Anyone ever heard of so many coils failing that it would prevent the engine from starting suddenly? I.E. I drove this car to the airport about an hour away back in early December and when I showed up to drive home several days later, it would not start and has not started since then.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I would do a compression test.

Was it Valet parking at the Airport? Perhaps they started it and turned it off quickly. That is what causes Bore Wash and lack of compression. Fix is a teaspoon full of oil in each cylinder.

Just a thought.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Have you verified fuel pressure at the fuel rail since you appear to have spark control ( maybe not spark quality ?) ? Below 11.5 volts the ECU will act up and yes on B1mcp's suggestion on adding oil to the cylinders to recover compression before trying again .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-10-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Have you verified fuel pressure at the fuel rail since you appear to have spark control ( maybe not spark quality ?) ? Below 11.5 volts the ECU will act up and yes on B1mcp's suggestion on adding oil to the cylinders to recover compression before trying again .
I have a couple different fuel pressure tester kits from Harbor Freight but they are totally useless for getting anything connected to the Jaguar fuel rail or fuel rail connections. So no, I do not have any firm data on fuel pressure.

I did try one connector on the incoming fuel line as a dead end connection with the fuel pressure gauge and hard wired power to the fuel pump by jumping power to the forward connector in the relay socket. The helper I had said it leaked badly but said the fuel pressure gauge did register 60psi before I shut it off because of the leak.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member

There was someone that pinched off the FPR return line ( lower pointing one ) and simulated pressure regulating as this backs up pressure . This will confirm FPR . A clogged filter will still show static pressure in your test configuration in capping but not operating volume / pressure .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 02-11-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Well, I really hope it is not the fuel filter because I tried to loosen the connections on that but failed utterly. Other than dropping the rear suspension I do not see how to get those fittings loose. Jaguar put that fuel filter in a REALLY bad location. The engineer who designed that should be shot.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Have you used 2 wrenches one being a tubing wrench size X and some penetrating spray ?

Looking for size X

The pinching of the return line would be a easier try to see if you get results .