XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacement headlining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement headlining?

Any recommendations for replacement headlining for a 1996 XJR? There's a company in Kent selling on eBay - anybody use them? Item number 171324319654

Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I have not used anyone but I need to replace mine also, your 1996 XJR is it supercharged? I have have a 1996 XJR supercharged and I have a vacuum coming out of the valve cover and then a smaller hose that comes off of it and I don't know what the smaller hose attaches to could you help?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Make sure you use 1/8" /3mm material or your sunroof will hang up. Several DIY's floating around here, too. Don't short yourself when cutting 'round the sunroof opening like I did.....

The following users liked this post:
Windell (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I got a kit from here and recovered.

Jaguar Headlining Kits

Good quality and delivered in a couple of days. So much cheaper than a full lining.

The following users liked this post:
smartobject (05-10-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 285 Likes on 126 Posts

Was the headliner installed on the assembly line through the front windshield? I am thinking the best and least likelihood of damaging during removal would be to remove the front windshield, which will be done when my entire car is repainted, and take the headliner out the front windshield opening.

Also, and my reference is coming from also owning a 1987 BMW M6 with ALL leather including the headliner, has anyone recovered the headliner, sun visors and sunroof cover in leather to match the rest of the leather interior? Or maybe a color matched vinyl that would be more durable?

My car is carnival red with ???? brown interior.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't remove the windscreen to recover the headliner, but yeah, if you have it out to facilitate other maintenance, that is probably the easiest path out.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I had mine done a few years ago and the gentleman that did it took it out the rear passenger door with the front seat backs down as far as they would go. There is a fair amount of play in the board if you know what you are doing, thats why I had someone else do it.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi AndyXJR and Co.

I ordered my replacement headlining from Jag Headlinings and noticed they were round the corner from my house, which saved me £45 shipping, which was good. With shipping you are looking at £254 delivered in the UK.

Intially I was pretty worried about fitting this and thought my skills might not be up to the job. However JagTV on Youtube have a great video showing you what to do. My 11 year old son and I fitted the headlining over a bank holiday weekend taking a couple of hours here and there. The JagTV video can be found here
Their car is an X308 in the video, but the procedure is the same.

Please note the replacement headlining is fibreglass and you fold it and get it into the car via the rear door, no need to remove any window.

I would order it and get it done, you won't regret it!

Cheers,
Nick from Thanet.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Windell
No I have not used anyone but I need to replace mine also, your 1996 XJR is it supercharged? I have have a 1996 XJR supercharged and I have a vacuum coming out of the valve cover and then a smaller hose that comes off of it and I don't know what the smaller hose attaches to could you help?

A slight thread detour, but the following thread should answer your question about the small vacuum hose:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essary-180030/

Bottom line, the smaller hose attaches behind the throttle body, on the bypass valve assembly.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Was the headliner installed on the assembly line through the front windshield? I am thinking the best and least likelihood of damaging during removal would be to remove the front windshield, which will be done when my entire car is repainted, and take the headliner out the front windshield opening.

Also, and my reference is coming from also owning a 1987 BMW M6 with ALL leather including the headliner, has anyone recovered the headliner, sun visors and sunroof cover in leather to match the rest of the leather interior? Or maybe a color matched vinyl that would be more durable?

My car is carnival red with ???? brown interior.

I haven't seen anyone do so, but it is certainly possible to replace the headliner, shades, etc fabric with something else like leather, alcantera, etc but that likely wouldn't be DIY work.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Make sure you use 1/8" /3mm material or your sunroof will hang up. Several DIY's floating around here, too. Don't short yourself when cutting 'round the sunroof opening like I did.....
I understand the issues if the padding is too thick , but what did you mean by cutting around the sunroof opening . I plan on using a custom cotton fabric pattern with maybe a clearcoat outer layer " carpet spray paint " availible at the fabric store . I'll have to test it first , and it may not bend well to get through the shorter wheel base model rear door .

Thanks , Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
I understand the issues if the padding is too thick , but what did you mean by cutting around the sunroof opening .
Don't cut around the edges of the sunroof opening - leave about an inch or maybe inch and a half all the way round out into the the opening. Then, you have to slit that in the corners to allow it to fold-flat back over the roof opening. The pinch-welt clamps it to the roof opening which supports your headliner in the middle.

I've done one SWB (albiet, need a do-over due to aforementioned stupidity regarding the sunroof) and one LWB and didn't notice any difference whatsoever in how much you had to crunch it up to get out the left rear door. While the LWB has a wider rear door, it also has a longer headliner.

FWIW, I removed rear seat and driver's (LHD) seat for ease even though others have reported completing the job without doing so.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Thanks aholbro1 ! The Thanks icon disappeared from my screen , but I just wanted to say Thanks .