XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Rust rust rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust rust rust

Hey there. The car has 260.000 km around. I just found this yesterday. Its at front. At the workshop they disnt ever mention anything about it. Does it look bad? The car at the moment was totally dry inside garage for days.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Probably best to source one from a wrecker , 4 bolts . No jacking . Empty radiator from the right side drain fitting ( penetrate oil overnight ) and support radiator with rope beforehand . Get a photo of the replacement before purchasing as this damage is common , poor paint . Welding is a possibility if there is enough material left . Otherwise the radiator isn't going to fall through if you grind off the rust and paint . Top rubber bushings may not fit correctly . My opinion .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-05-2017 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mguar (12-27-2022)
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Probably best to source one from a wrecker , 4 bolts . No jacking . Empty radiator from the right side drain fitting ( penetrate oil overnight ) and support radiator with rope beforehand . Get a photo of the replacement before purchasing as this damage is common , poor paint . Welding is a possibility if there is enough material left . Otherwise the radiator isn't going to fall through if you grind off the rust and paint . Top rubber bushings may not fit correctly . My opinion .
thanks for the help! So u think i can drive until i fix without any problem? I am planning a trip soon...

Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a leak so you would have to monitor the fluids levels unless it's getting ready to blow out then you would have to take it apart and address it . Around town is different . I have mine off now and repainting it as many people do I read . Mine was covered in power stearing fluid from leaking hoses at the reservoir nipples . Cut off an inch or so of hose for better hose material .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-05-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

There is a possibility that the radiator itself since the protruding portion of it's lower edge as in seats in the long brackets saddle being comprised may be fretting as the whole lower edge is now in contact . This would be a blowout scenario if it is true . Will have to look at mine in the morning as my bracket is removed and the radiator is hanging from 2 ropes . It's dark now outside and I'm scared of the dark .