XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Setting cam sensor on AJ16

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Setting cam sensor on AJ16

I've searched through this section of the forum and haven't found a direct answer to the question so forgive me if this is a repeated question.

I am working to get a friends XJ sorted after a bad trip to a local shop. The shop wasn't experienced in these cars and they replaced the cam position sensor (AJ16) to resolve a CEL for misfire (that didn't fix it, gaping the plugs correctly did). Now the car turns over about 10 times before starting. From what I've read that indicates an incorrect cam sensor position. It looks like they set it up where the dimple is in the inspection window when the missing tooth on the crank encoder is at the pointer on the side of the engine.

I have downloaded the service manual and spent an hour or so searching through it but haven't yet found the procedure for registering the cam sensor with the crank.

I have read a procedure from an owner that indicates to set the missing tooth on the crank opposite the crank sensor then adjust the cam sensor dimple to the center of the inspection window. I've set the crank at this position and the dimple is not in the inspection window on the cam sensor housing. Its about 90 degrees off from the window.

Can anyone here verify this is correct method to set the cam sensor?

Whew.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
The following users liked this post:
DieselAddict (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 10,352 Likes on 6,849 Posts

As said, it is simple.

I did mine, and others by simply rotating the engine (by hand), until #1 (front cylinder) was coming up on compression, then continued until the "missing tooth" was AT the crank sensor. Basically the sensor filled the gap.

OK, now the engine is timed.

Remove the lid in the sensor, mark the casing in relation to the window position.

Remove the bolt securing the cam sensor, slide it part way out, and rotate the disc with your finger so the dimple is at the mark you made. Refit the sensor, OK, the thing will rotate as you slide it in, so trial and error will have it slide in so the dimple is real close to the mark/window, refit the lid, then adjust it on the slot to get in centred.

Lock it up, replace the spark plug/coil, remove the spanner from the front pulley, ENJOY.

DieselAddict (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Grant,

I did a bit of trial and error and that is exactly what worked. The engine now fires perfectly on the first turn.

I set the window on the crank position wheel directly under the sensor then reset the cam position sensor till the dimple was in the center of the inspection window on the cover. That was it.

The instructions referenced above indicated to set the window on the crank position wheel opposite of the sensor. That didn't work.

The shop had set it up so the dimple on the cam sensor was lined up when the window on the crank wheel was under what looked like a large timing mark on the front of the engine. That didn't work either.

Anyway, the hard staring is sorted. The rough idle / misfire engine code was resolved by replacing the plugs and gapping them correctly. Got a couple more minor bugs to work out to finish off the project. So far Geoff is tickled to death his gal starts easy and purrs like a kitten again.

I'm always grateful to find communities like this willing to lend a hand.

The following 2 users liked this post by DieselAddict:
aholbro1 (05-24-2012), Grant Francis (05-25-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Thanks Diesel, It's always nice when people post back what ultimately solved their problem.

mgb4tim (05-25-2012)