XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Shoot me now..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Shoot me now..

Was out cruising in my 2000 XJ8 to break in a new set of shoes on the kitty when, sitting at a stop light in the area, espied a nice chamagne-colored XJ in the shop lot on the corner. So, hiked it around and stopped in to enquire.

Well, turns out the shop whose lot it was in was brokering it for an old fellow who was not able to drive anymore. It's a '97 VDP, champagne (whatever the color was called) exterior, cashmere interior. Straight 6, decent rubber, sagging headliner (they all do that...including my 2000)...and only 42K miles. That works out to only 8K a year usage.

Big issue? Someone closed the bonnet with something draped over the fender, so the bonnet on the driver side has a smooth bend to it. And, someone dinged the driver door between the bottom of the window trim (undamaged) and the first break line on the side...which is probably a PDR repair (paint is ok, just a 'ding').

Didn't see any leaks under the car, nor was there any obvious iron worm damage on the underside; exhaust was tight. Couple places where the clear on the rear bumper was flaking.

I'm thinking of offering 5000 to 5500 (it runs, doesn't smoke on start, no knocking, etc) cash. Yeah, it will take a little time in the body shop to rectify the displaced bonnet, perhaps reclear the bumpers, and pin up the headliner, but, the interior is cherry, no chips in the glass, all the gauges work, the wrench flushed the gas lines, filled with premium, new oil, filter, etc.

Thoughts? Things I should be aware of (like, on the XJ8, the secondary timing adjusters, 5HP24 trannies, etc)? Thinking of adding this to the stable...drive for a while and then....???

Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar infection

It is obvious you already are predisposed to the Jaguar infection by your stable. You can lead a long and fulfilling life even though infected. You already have the demonstrated the skills necessary to cope; preventative maintenance and keeping abreast of remedies offered by other sufferers. Please be advised you have a greater than 50% chance of passing this on to close male relatives. In my case I have clearly passed this on to my son (92 XJ40,94 VDP, and now his favourite a 97XJR).
Good luck on your purchase, we think the 97 6 cyl line rates as one of the best and most treatable cases, esp. the VDP. Keep us all in touch with your progess.

Mine started with a XK120 prototype in 1974, still alive and coping with illness after all these years....

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Here's some info, but honestly the X300 has far fewer 'significant' worry areas than the later X308. A lot of the X300 issues are minor, cosmetic, etc. Engine is sound, and transmission is sound, and the interior is durable.

Some common issues:

- Power steering rack/lines leaking, repair as needed
- Valve/cam cover leaking around and inside spark plug wells, new gasket and seals.
- Cup holder breaks, until 2003 when steel hinges were added, you can retrofit.
- Radios lose their minds, repair(~$250) or replace with aftermarket
- Clock LCD malfunctions, can be permanently repaired for $90
- Seat memory dies in almost all of them, fix is to rebuild memory pots DIY.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...yers-guide.doc

Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks, all. Put in an offer of 5K (yeah, may be a little lowball just on the mileage), and considering the history and longevity of the straight 6 (it does share with the 308s the leaky valve cover syndrome...I've found using OEM parts vice aftermarket, especially current manufacture, seem to keep the weeps at bay), as well as the more robust tranny...and less futzy engine module...well, we'll see. I am beginning to think the Jaguar disease is just as bad as the Lotus disease.

Al said:
---
- Power steering rack/lines leaking, repair as needed
- Valve/cam cover leaking around and inside spark plug wells, new gasket and seals.
- Cup holder breaks, until 2003 when steel hinges were added, you can retrofit.
- Radios lose their minds, repair(~$250) or replace with aftermarket
- Clock LCD malfunctions, can be permanently repaired for $90
- Seat memory dies in almost all of them, fix is to rebuild memory pots DIY.
---
Check on all those; even the 308 cupholders are rubbish. Fixed the seat pots in my 308, not the easiest job but not insurmoutable. Put in seat heaters and the relays under the frame at the same time and swapped out the button panel to add in the seat heater buttons.

I agree, just based on surfing the forum here for the x300...the issues are a lot less complicated than the later model. And the body style is almost the same...but the VDP has that extra 4" and rear seat trays...a little added 'elegance'...anyone have some Grey Poupon? LOL.

Any other thoughts?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Check condenser bushes. Lowers have a mind to take unannounced leave and will ultimately cost you a condenser.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (04-22-2015)