XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

recall program

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default recall program

to all X300 owners, there is a worldwide recall program on the computer box, if you need the official circular e amil me or check with your jaguar dealer, it applies even to second and or third ownership.

The following users liked this post:
hjsteadman (05-11-2019)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased my first jag, a 96 Xj6 with 37K miles and mint condition. I am the second owner, and am experiencing the vehicle just shutting off randomly. The live data tool (OBDII) I connect to the computer sends a lost link error when the car dies.

This sounds like a perfect scenario that a bad ECM would cause.. Is that the computer box you are referring to? How would I fond out if mine was replaced? I don't have access to the original owner..

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

You local Jaguar dealer can run your VIN and let you know if any recalls are outstanding or have been performed.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
You local Jaguar dealer can run your VIN and let you know if any recalls are outstanding or have been performed.

so what is this recall about?? and are they are like free? lol

Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 AM

I read in an earlier post from 08 that there was a recall on the computer box, what I am guessing to be the ECU or ECM (same thing I think). I am going to contact the local dealer here and see whats what. I will post my findings. If it's a recall then I would think it to be free. At least I hope so, would be a break I really need. Will post what they tell me...

Old 04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Even in the US market where manufacturers are held more accountable, I can't see much chance of getting anything out of Jaguar 18 years after production of the X300 ended.

It's over 10 years since I sold my X300 but I still recall the random shut off you describe. I had some discussion with other owners on Jag-Lovers forum and by email at the time but, other than concluding it was the ECM, we never got to a solution before I sold the vehicle.

Graham

Old 04-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

It depends, although I don't think manufacturers have much choice about recalls. Perhaps there is a "statue of limitations" sort of scenario eventually ..... and I have no idea about the US law regarding how long a manufacturer is responsible for supporting a given recall, but I have two cases where the manufacturer discovered and honored recall work many years later.

Last year I took my 1995 Buick Riviera in for some other reason at the dealer (which is rare, as I do most of my own work), an in running the VIN the dealer discovered an outstanding recall for the rear seat belts. They ordered the part (yes they still had the "teal" seat belts somewhere in stock) and put them in for free.

Similarly, my 1997 XJR has the R493 EGR/ECU EPROMs/Throttle-Spring recall outstanding and the dealer discovered that by running the VIN and ordered the parts. That will also be free.

I have no idea about the potential ECU recall mentioned above specifically or the car in question of course, but the owner can just call the service department and they'll check the VIN over the phone to verify any outstanding recalls. The car doesn't even have to go in.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 04-21-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Random shut off...got that!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
It depends, although I don't think manufacturers have much choice about recalls. Perhaps there is a "statue of limitations" sort of scenario eventually ..... and I have no idea about the US law regarding how long a manufacturer is responsible for supporting a given recall, but I have two cases where the manufacturer discovered and honored recall work many years later.

Heh heh, no easy answer.

There are safety recalls, emission recalls, voluntarily recalls (no gov't mandate), mandated recalls, customer satisfaction recalls.....

Broadly speaking, recalls related to a safety defect are a forever thing. In fact, most recalls of any type are a forever thing. But, 'most' is not the same as 'all'. I've seen recalls that had very specific time/mileage limits. Or even geographic region limitations.

Ya just have to check with dealer/manufacturer on a case-by-case basis

Cheers
DD

Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by rsperle
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased my first jag, a 96 Xj6 with 37K miles and mint condition. I am the second owner, and am experiencing the vehicle just shutting off randomly. The live data tool (OBDII) I connect to the computer sends a lost link error when the car dies.
Thanks!
Years ago I described my experience back around 2000 with IGNITION COILS arcing and shutting down the ECM, SOMETIMES stalling the engine, sometimes just a momentary misfire.

One of the mechanics at the Jag dealer I worked with noticed the WDS DATALOGGER would lose communication when the 'misfire' occurred.

The car had around 240,000 miles on it and the customer agreed to replace all the ignition coils.

The problem was resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as theT493/R493 is concerned.......................
You might call your local dealer but I doubt the PROMS are available unless a new supplier was found.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Years ago I described my experience back around 2000 with IGNITION COILS arcing and shutting down the ECM, SOMETIMES stalling the engine, sometimes just a momentary misfire.

One of the mechanics at the Jag dealer I worked with noticed the WDS DATALOGGER would lose communication when the 'misfire' occurred.

The car had around 240,000 miles on it and the customer agreed to replace all the ignition coils.

The problem was resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as theT493/R493 is concerned.......................
You might call your local dealer but I doubt the PROMS are available unless a new supplier was found.

bob gauff

Yeah, coil failures seem to be a pervasive cause of many issues, so that wouldn't be a surprise. Someone had hypothesized at one point that bad coils were "backfiring" back into the general wiring harness and causing odd and unpredictable issues.

Regarding T493/R493, that is a bit of a red-herring for this discussion.... I was just offering that as an example of an old recall that Jaguar is still honoring/supporting. They do still have the PROMs (or a source) and are scheduling my 97 XJR for the work, surprisingly.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:04 PM

Wow.. thanks for all the feedback!! I am truly impressed
I will call the dealer today and post the outcome.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rsperle
Wow.. thanks for all the feedback!! I am truly impressed
I will call the dealer today and post the outcome.
Thanks for keeping us informed.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 PM

I spoke with the dealer and they said there is no outstanding recalls for my vehicle. Hurrah!!
I asked about the honoring of recall for a vehicle as old as mine and they said as long as it was applicable for my vehicle based upon VIN and if they could find the part. Other than that there would be no problem, so long as it's not an item that could be considered normal wear and tear..

The following 2 users liked this post by rsperle:
journeyman (07-31-2016), Kleman (04-23-2015)