XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Should I keep her?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

On the practical side , you can keep her until a better selling season and you get settled in your new home . Don't have to ensure it until you have made a decision on how it will work in your new budget and you can get better informed on the mechanics of the car . Just like there is no free horse you might be able to justify it knowing you don't have to take it to the dealer except for a one key engine ECU " orientation " if ever needed . To store it remove the battery as it will by design drain down and put inside , but as you replace it ensure you don't put it in backwards as is easy to do . Positive post goes forward in positive direction of the car . There is a trick to getting it started after long term storage if needed that someone will help you with . You can remove the clear coat on the wheels with paint stripper that make a world of difference as the old clear coat can't be buffed out to any where close with a compound to the base metal . I'll post pics on 2 wheels before and after when I get some sunshine .

Old 10-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Well, even if you bring the battery inside, you'll need a trickle charger at minimum to maintain it. For me, a better solution is to fit a small solar charger on the rear shelf in conjunction with a regulator. See Gus' how-to write up. (you may need to search the S-Type or XK forum for this)

My chosen solution is a bit more expensive, as I use the solar pack to power a VDC Electronics 12V on board conditioner/desulfator which serves the function of a voltage regulator. The OBD12V can be a bit pricey, but with patience and diligence, can be had for about $50 or less. I'm not sure what the regulator costs, but suspect it is less. A solar charger can be had easily enough at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for less than $10. (although "regular price" is $15.99 or some such thing)
Caution: If you choose this route, the 2-prong plug is identical between the VDC equipment and most cheap solar chargers - but the polarity is opposite. You'll need to whack the plug off the solar charger and reverse the leads.

Insurance-wise, I recommend "Liability only" to keep costs down. In the very end, you'll only get $2k-$2.5K less your deductible for most any claim, which means, with careful attentive driving, your exposure is limited to hailstorms and trees falling on it while parked. If someone else creams you, their insurance has to pay, including your deductible! Caution: They will attempt to call it a total loss and obtain your title in consideration of payment. Don't play that game, take their money, keep your car!

Here is as good a place as any to hold forth some of Zane's automotive philosophy: If you truly "need" a car, then you really need two! No matter how sensible and reliable a brand you buy, no matter how meticulously maintained it is, there will come a time or three, where it needs service or repairs at the time you need to drive it. If you trade for new every two years, perhaps your dealer offers a loaner service. You will also be bleeding money that way. A "spare" (car, not tire) allows you to absorb such mini-crises with great aplomb and, if you are so-inclined to DITY, allows you the freedom to tackle most any job, wait on cheaper parts to be delivered from the internet, etc. etc. You don't HAVE to have the car ready to go by Monday morning...if you have a spare! More savings to "pay" for the extra car can be had by canceling the "rental reimbursement" that you are probably paying as part of the insurance premium on your primary car.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! All of this is a great help- the info on insurance and storage etc. And I have given a lot of thought to the fact that our current car has high mileage and won't last forever.

I told my folks that I wanted to make and offer and we'll discuss it when I see them next weekend. Honestly, I'm hoping they'll let me have it super cheap or better yet just give it to me to keep it in the family 🙄

One more question: I'm making a permanent move in 3 weeks. It's about a 500 mile drive. I'll have our foreign car mechanic (he's great and has worked on our cars for 25 years) check it over for fluids and any major issues. Is there anything I should be especially on the look out for? The car hasn't made a long highway trek in at least 7 years though nothing so far indicates that there would be major issues.

thanks again for everything!

Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Bob ?

She wants to keep the family jewel

Old 10-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Final update for this post... we're adopting the jag! It went to the mechanic, checked out and looks great-- fluids changed, a/c just needed freon so it's blowing cold which is nice since autumn weather has been slow to arrive around here. And insurance in our new NC town will be quite inexpensive.

My husband and I are just thrilled to be the next owner of this family heirloom! I pick it up in two weeks. Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and tips and links and for being available! You'll be hearing from me in the future as I need advice, I'm sure. And even if you don't hear from me, I'll be lurking.

happy motoring!

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

So, the legend continues....

Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I have a 95 X300 with 142,000 miles and there is no way I will ever get rid of that car. The engine is exceptionally strong. It was redesigned for this series to be strong enough to be converted to diesel in later models. As you see in my signature block I also own an XK8 2000. That car is beautiful but has a Ford engine and it is a terrible engine. Other wise it is perfect with 64K miles. That one is going on the block soon.

If you don't keep this car don't show your face around here again.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Lol. I'm keeping this car! I'm in love.
Though I suppose if I sold it, there'd be no reason to show my face around here anyway.
It's this kind of wholehearted enthusiasm that convinced me!

Last edited by XJsmitten; 10-12-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

You need some British driving music for the trip . A much richer and bolder and majestic and not rushed recording is with conductor Andrew Manze with a BBC performance at the Royal Albert Hall that use to be on Youtube but no longer . Listen for the 4th Lento movement . You can burn to a CD disk with Youtube downloader

The speakers may be rotten and sound terrible as most X300's and over the winter you can repair them very cheaply without replacing them and add an easy auxiliary jack to enable CD or phone devices to be used better audio quality then a bluetooth device

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-12-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I’d say keep it, my 97 x300 has served me well. It’s currently nearing 175k miles as my daily driver, I’ve had to do expected things to her such as a fuel pump and a crank position sensor neither of which were terribly cheap however neither were terribly expensive either. My AC doesn’t work, I rewired my radio and replaced the antenna myself, sounds like if you find another BRG x300 in a junk yard steal a door handle and a fuel door off of it and replace them, you can keep the same lock core no problem. This girl’s got a lot of life left in her, drive it man.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

EZDriver, I would suggest you do some research on who actually designed the Jaguar engine. What is so terrible about your 2000? My XJR SC is going great at 80,000Miles apart from the tyre wall rash that I inflicted a couple of weekends ago on a track day

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd keep it... I just bought a '95 jag and it purrrrs like a kitten and moves like the wind when i want it too... i've owned (4) jags, this is my 5th and i'm just tickled that my wife bought it for me knowing how much i love that foreign steel and sex appeal...