XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Low Oil Pressure Gauge, and warning low oil light Problem ! Help me please !

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Oil Pressure Gauge, and warning low oil light Problem ! Help me please !

Hello. I need help, cause I have a problem on my 1996 Vanden Plas, 4.0 litres.
Since few weeks, I saw the ''Low Oil Pressure'' Light on, and the Oil pressure tach does'nt work anymore since that ! I would like to know if it is possible that can be just a fuse problem ? The engine run very well, and I checked the oil deep stick, and the oil level is good. I don't drive it since the time I remarked that , cause I'm scare to damage the engine. When the ex-owner sold me the car, he did'nt have the owner manual, so I don't have the fuse diagram to check if everything is alright ! Where can I buy one used ? Or if somebody here can scan a 1996 VandenPlas owner Manual, and could send me it by email that's should be very appreciated ! I really need it, cause that's my first Jaguar, and I don't want to sell the car only after 1 year I own the car... Or what can be the problems with this warning light on ???????? Help me please !!!!!!!!!! I would like to drive it on the road, not looking it on the driveway...

Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't worry, you've already checked the oil level and it's good. 9 times out of the 10, the issue with low oil light coming on but still have good oil level is the oil level sending unit. Common issue with these.

Replacing it is also a 10 minute job.

1. Raise the drivers front so you can get under the car
2. Look on the side of the engine (Right around the oil filter area) You should see a goldish looking nut with a single wire coming out of it. (NOT the ones with the phillips head screw, these are the knock sensors I believe)
3. Simply reach your hand up, unplug the connector
4. Take a 19mm(I think it's that size, I'm trying to remember off the top of my head) and just loosen it and remove it.

P.S. you will lose a little oil since it will drip so be ready to install the new unit.

The following 4 users liked this post by AlbBolivar:
al_roethlisberger (08-10-2014), dagny747 (08-13-2014), littlelic69 (08-10-2014), pauljag (04-05-2016)
Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Don't worry, you've already checked the oil level and it's good. 9 times out of the 10, the issue with low oil light coming on but still have good oil level is the oil level sending unit. Common issue with these.

Replacing it is also a 10 minute job.

1. Raise the drivers front so you can get under the car
2. Look on the side of the engine (Right around the oil filter area) You should see a goldish looking nut with a single wire coming out of it. (NOT the ones with the phillips head screw, these are the knock sensors I believe)
3. Simply reach your hand up, unplug the connector
4. Take a 19mm(I think it's that size, I'm trying to remember off the top of my head) and just loosen it and remove it.

P.S. you will lose a little oil since it will drip so be ready to install the new unit.
Thanks for the instructions, this just happened this morning. Off to jaguar parts tomorrow morning

Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Default Always a wrinkle

I called Jaguar this morning and they do not sell the combined part anymore. It is sold as a transducer and the wire separately. I ordered the transducer which is $28 on the assumption that this is what fails. The wire assembly is $85. Any thoughts on this one?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dagny747
I called Jaguar this morning and they do not sell the combined part anymore. It is sold as a transducer and the wire separately. I ordered the transducer which is $28 on the assumption that this is what fails. The wire assembly is $85. Any thoughts on this one?
Not sure what you mean by wire assembly but the wire does need to be removed from the sensor before removing. The transducer is what fails and replacing that without the "wire assembly" should fix your issue

Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds like 747 got had by the typical Jag parts guy. He should know the sensor can be replaced without rewiring the whole car.

Last edited by EZDriver; 08-11-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I didn't think the transducer was available anymore<br />
There is a &quot;fix kit&quot; consisting of a pressure switch and a jumper wire containing a resistor. This item was readily available for about $50 a few years ago. The switch has a set point of about 8psig and the resistor makes your needle go somewhere near the middle of the range when the switch is closed.<br />
<br />
If what you got is the switch, I'd try it and see where your gage goes. If unsatisfactory, you could by the resistor and splice it in for &lt;$10 I should think.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I didn't think the transducer was available anymore<br />
There is a &quot;fix kit&quot; consisting of a pressure switch and a jumper wire containing a resistor. This item was readily available for about $50 a few years ago. The switch has a set point of about 8psig and the resistor makes your needle go somewhere near the middle of the range when the switch is closed.<br />
<br />
If what you got is the switch, I'd try it and see where your gage goes. If unsatisfactory, you could by the resistor and splice it in for &lt;$10 I should think.
I thought the oil pressure ssender was originally designed as just a "switch"? I can't remember exactly what pressure the oil has to be at for it to register anything but on the gauge it would either be 0 or about halfway. Just like the temperature gauge...?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for that, I pecked it out on my tablet and now "Edit" is not an option from the laptop. Should've gone something like this:

I didn't think the transducer was available anymore
There is a "fix kit" consisting of a pressure switch and a jumper wire containing a resistor. This item was readily available for about $50 a few years ago. The switch has a set point of about 8psig and the resistor makes your needle go somewhere near the middle of the range when the switch is closed.
If what you got is the switch, I'd try it and see where your gage goes. If unsatisfactory, you could by the resistor and splice it in for<$10 I should think.

The TSB called for recalibrating the IP via WDS/IDS but I didn't do it and mine parks just proud of the mid-mark.

I thought the oil pressure ssender was originally designed as just a "switch"? I can't remember exactly what pressure the oil has to be at for it to register anything but on the gauge it would either be 0 or about halfway. Just like the temperature gauge...?

Alb-B - I think you've got it just backwards, or else I do....the transducer feeds a varying voltage to the gage, corresponding to oil pressure. Many problems with it though, including going to zero, and they adopted the Ford convention of a pressure switch that essentially turns your gage into a warning light, even though the warning light function is retained - though both depend on the same sensor - the switch. Kit part-number is living in here somewhere, I'll try to find the thread and edit back a link. I had to bend a wrench to get my transducer off........needed an open-end with about the same angle that the box-end has in a set of combo-spanners.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
AlbBolivar (08-12-2014), Don B (08-15-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

The original sender on the XJ40s was a transducer, but as customers began to complain about the oil pressure gauge falling below halfway, Jaguar began retrofitting the idiot switch senders. Our '93 was originally equipped with a transducer, but I had always assumed Jaguar had begun fitting the switch style senders at the factory prior to the introduction of the X300.

Hopefully someone can tell us exactly when the switch style became OE.

Cheers,

Don

Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B

Cheers,

Don
You already have it. See post #5 in the first link I posted above.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Hmm that's interesting. I always wondered why Jaguar made the change to a "dummy" switch

Thanks for the information

Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
You already have it. See post #5 in the first link I posted above.

Well, having to click on a mystery link to look up info you didn't even tell us was there isn't quite as convenient as you copying and pasting the info for the benefit of current and future readers of this thread...

No worries, I'll do it for you. Here's the info, courtesy of Bob Gauff (motorcarman):

"The 1995 X300 (V) 720001 - 746613 have the pressure transducer.
Subsequent cars were fitted with switches and the INST PACK was reprogrammed to suit."

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 08-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
cool (01-21-2016), MountainMan (08-14-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM

I wasn't had by Jaguar, you guys are so jaded ;-) I ordered the transducer, OIL PRESSURE TRANSDUCER PRODUCT CODE: LNA5642CA for $28.00 and i should get it tomorrow. There was also a kit available that included the wire from Barratt its around $45.00 and Jaguar about $85. Based on checking through other strings it seemed like the transducer is what fails, so thats what I ordered. I'll let you know the actual Jag part number and if it works when i get it in. The picture from Barratt is what I think i ordered, I didn't go to them because they had special order and Jaguar could it in two days for the same price.

Attached Thumbnails Low Oil Pressure Gauge, and warning low oil light Problem ! Help me please !-803027ca-b195-4e59-9d1a-a77063804d9f.jpg  
Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

That looks like the switch to me, 747. The transducer has a bell-shaped body that is larger than the hex with a little spade terminal on top.

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (08-20-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Default success

AlbBolivar was correct on the location and procedure down to the little leak of oil. One thing to note: It is a 21mm socket and if you have a deep one that would be better. I did it with a short socket with the ratchet not pushed all the way in. Also, it took me longer to jack it up than to put it in. You can put it in by hand almost all the way since its pre-lubricated. and just tighten it down on the copper crush washer.

Part# LNA5642CA and it says Made to Jaguar specification in Italy

I couldn't find the front central jacking point, so I put a 5000 lb floor jack under the spring and a 5 ton bottle jack under the bar where you would jack for a tire change. Seemed ok.

Attached Thumbnails Low Oil Pressure Gauge, and warning low oil light Problem ! Help me please !-x300-jack.jpg  
MountainMan (08-20-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 PM

That looks like the switch to me, 747. The transducer has a bell-shaped body that is larger than the hex with a little spade terminal on top.

+1 aholbro1.

The photo at SNG Barratt is definitely the switch. To my knowledge, none of the Jag parts suppliers has the transducer in stock, since it was discontinued by Jaguar long ago. Occasionally a real transducer will show up on the new-old-stock market, and of course you can buy used ones on eBay, but buying one is probably pointless since they always fail.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (08-20-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Dagny747; if you used a 21mm socket to remove your old one, sounds like you already had the switch... and it failed. Less common than the transducer failing, but seems I've seen reports of such from time to time. But! If you had the transducer and had to use an open-end wrench for removal, please report back what pressure you are seeing now without the resistor and without having reprogrammed the inset. Pack. Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM

Dagny747; if you used a 21mm socket to remove your old one, sounds like you already had the switch... and it failed. Less common than the transducer failing, but seems I've seen reports of such from time to time. But! If you had the transducer and had to use an open-end wrench for removal, please report back what pressure you are seeing now without the resistor and without having reprogrammed the inset. Pack. Inquiring minds want to know!
I defer to you on whether it is a switch or transducer. I did nothing except pull off the single wire take out the old one and put in the new one. When I started up the red oil light went off and the gauge went back to one tick below mid range, which it where it always was. I've had the car since 2000. The part number and picture are in my previous posts. The packaging is definitely Jaguar and I got it at the dealer for $30 including tax.

The following 4 users liked this post by dagny747:
aholbro1 (08-15-2014), Don B (08-15-2014), MountainMan (08-20-2014), RJ237 (08-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Gauge, and warning low oil light Problem ! Help me please !