XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Should I stay or should I go...

Old 08-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Should I stay or should I go...

Not from Jaguar mind you! I currently have an immaculate 1997 XJ6L that I've had and well sorted for some 6 years now but have the chance to buy a 1995 XJR in very good condition. The XJR is lower in miles but I'm reluctant to move into an XJR as my daily driver. I'd like to hear from those that have XJR's as daily drivers on their experiences. The XJR would need a little cosmetically and probably a few niggly things sorted that are already done on my 97. I'm eager to move into a more "performance" oriented sedan though for the shear "fun factor" not sure weather I should buy the one and sell the other. Opinions?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I flick between an auto 3.2 X300, and a manual XJR.
The 3.2 was my daily car for 2 years, lately the XJR.
I have a 40km round trip commute with light traffic, so the XJR is a pleasure and 'me time' between home and work.
the R is off having a modern stereo fitted for a few days, so I was back in the 3.2 today. It is quick enough but lacks the punch of the R. It is smoother and more forgiving, but in the end less engaging than the supercharged car. I like to put my foot down and use the power for accelerating, but don't go that fast because of risk to licence. I average 17-18 mpg because of my heavy-footed approach, but I didn't buy it to safe fuel.
the XJR has stiffer suspension but not harsh, and the steering is more precise with no tramlining on its correct 17" Sport wheels with 235/50 tyres (Potenzas). By contrast the 3.2 still wanders a bit on 18" Asteroids (my favourite Jag wheel) with 245/45 tyres, despite all-new bushes, rebuilt rack and a good alignment.

The XJR is more complex when it needs work, but to make it a daily driver it has had new supercharger, all hoses, TPS, AFM, chain tensioner, etc. To summer-proof it, I may get a custom aluminium radiator made soon, beofre the old plastic tanks fail (as happened recently in the 3.2).

Cosmetically I prefer the Daimler 3.2's walnut dash to the dark wood of the XJR. Also the XJR has black leather which I have never liked, but it is a minor thing.

Get the XJR - you can always sell it later, and you'll never regret the flirtation!

Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I flick between an auto 3.2 X300, and a manual XJR.
The 3.2 was my daily car for 2 years, lately the XJR.
I have a 40km round trip commute with light traffic, so the XJR is a pleasure and 'me time' between home and work.
the R is off having a modern stereo fitted for a few days, so I was back in the 3.2 today. It is quick enough but lacks the punch of the R. It is smoother and more forgiving, but in the end less engaging than the supercharged car. I like to put my foot down and use the power for accelerating, but don't go that fast because of risk to licence. I average 17-18 mpg because of my heavy-footed approach, but I didn't buy it to safe fuel.
the XJR has stiffer suspension but not harsh, and the steering is more precise with no tramlining on its correct 17" Sport wheels with 235/50 tyres (Potenzas). By contrast the 3.2 still wanders a bit on 18" Asteroids (my favourite Jag wheel) with 245/45 Toyo Proxes C1S tyres, despite all-new bushes, rebuilt rack and a good alignment.

The XJR is more complex when it needs work, but to make it a daily driver it has had new supercharger, all hoses, TPS, AFM, chain tensioner, etc. To summer-proof it, I may get a custom aluminium radiator made soon, before the old plastic tanks fail (as happened recently in the 3.2).

Cosmetically I prefer the Daimler 3.2's walnut dash to the dark wood of the XJR. Also the XJR has black leather which I have never liked, but it is a minor thing.

Get the XJR - you can always sell it later, and you'll never regret the flirtation!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Well, unfortunately I don't have any experience with a non-XJR X300 (or any other Jaguar for that matter) so I can't offer a direct comparison.

However, I do use my 97 XJR as a daily driver about 150 miles per day, and have put about 15k trouble-free miles on it in the last year.

Have I done a lot of 'work' on it? ...sure, but other than a failing SC belt tensioner, everything else was either optional/hobbyist or known maintenance items such as rear shocks/bushings. It hasn't been more to handle from a maintenance perspective than any of our other cars, and has been just as reliable.

The only thing that's been a bit of a shock is the cost of oil changes since the AJ16 holds 8.4 quarts! ...but that's not news to you coming from your current XJ6.

From a driving perspective, the XJR is definitely more "sporty" in ride than say my old 1995 Buick Roadmaster, but the ride is fine and not harsh at all. I personally like the tight steering and handling, and definitely like the power... and actually wish it had a bit more!

But bottom line, you'll have to decide for yourself if you like the XJR ride for daily use. I've seen plenty of comments where opinions run the spectrum from love, indifferent to hate for the sportier suspension of the XJR/Sport models.

Good luck!

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Decision was easy, I drove 2 hours to see it then walked away. Car was resprayed unprofessionally (dust, crap in paint on boot lid and painted right over a rust bubble on the A pillar) car had reported 67K on it, every bolt/nut/etc on undercarriage rusted, most if not all rubbers deteriorated badly (radiator rubbers looked like a D-cell battery explosion) car had a bad vibe while driving, bald tires, pull to the right under braking, A/C inop, crack in gauge cluster plastic, door on back passenger side needed to be pulled harshly to open. I could tell someone toyed with the non-glove box panel as I could see through between top of panel and the top plate. Head liner non-original and now sagging in back. Underhood looked like a car with well more then 67K BUT to be fair it just probably wasn't cleaned, cared for ever under there. I wasn't thrilled with making a 2 hour trip esp after CL ad said "excellent" condition and upon first walking up to it I could see the crap in the paint on the boot, i asked if the car had paint work to which he replied "just the roof" Way too many red flags and with the unknowns lurking under that respray it was time to walk.