XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

So we had a visit at the workshop...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So we had a visit at the workshop...

After my fist posting yesterday as a newbee I'm following up here:

The issue about the washerpump was not solved
According to the mechanic there had been some makeshift "gluing" done to the pump and they didn't want to try to take everything apart (I guess the only way will be to go to the Jaguar workshop).

The car started this morning, however the start-up problem occured again after a 3 hour visit to the shopping mall. Could this be something with the anti-theft system?

Another thing (NOT NICE at all)

This morning i noticed that somebody had scratched the back of the car badly (must have been after 11 PM last night).

My wife (who is a native of Poland) tells me that Polish people are VERY envious and the most of them will do all they can to damage other people's belongings.

Now I'm looking for a guarded garage close to our apartment. There will be a state-of-the-art camera system installed in "our" garage "soon", but as most people in Poland still are in the "left-over from communist era" mindset this could take ages, and I'm not going to wait for this.

---

Had the workshop do a general inspection of the car too, and I will need new brakepads in front + pads and disks in the rear (he did say this is not urgent, but I'll change it to be on the safe side).

Sould I perhaps buy these items online? All suggestions will be welcomed!

That's all for now!

Merry Christmas to you all from cold (and quite dirty) Poland!

Rgds

CatoBT

Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi CatoBT, I had many Polish friends in the UK and found them to be very warm and generous indeed.

I think that you will always find some jealous types wherever you go in the world, but I am not Polish and have never lived in Poland so I will have to bow to your wife's opinion about her countrymen.

As regards your parts purchases, I don't know about availability or pricing in Poland but you may want to compare online from other EU countries and if you can, parts for other cars.

For example a set of brake pads for my 92 XJ40 shows that they are suitable for Audi Coupé S2 2.2 90-(F) which may be much more available in your location and IIRC the rears were the same as Peugeot 806. You would need to do some research for your particular car.

Check out a motor factors catalogue in your location.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 PM

I think you are right...

Sorry for being so upset about what happened.
I really don't get it about damaging other people's cars. I guess it would compare to stealing/hurting a cowboy's horse, right? Some things you simply don't...

Thanks for the advice about the parts. I do believe the X300 is full of parts from different Fords. The 4.0 engine I know for sure is used in the Ford Explorer (SUV), and the LCD panles in the dash board looks exactly like the ones found in Ford Mondeo (Do I care about that? Not at all. Ford always made good cars!!).

I'm extremely happy about the car. Got to try the "sports" function on the gearbox tonight (this of course means that I was driving alone...). It really works very nice (and shifts smoothly).

Now, my only concern is that I don't have a Jaguar at home in Norway.

Will my next car at home be a Jag?

There is no doubt about it!!!

Rgds

CatoBT

Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Cato.

Not sure what you may have had in Europe, but the 4.0L used in the Ford Explorer here in the states was a V-6. Nothing like the I-6 in the X300.

The following users liked this post:
CatoBT (12-25-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Default Start up probolem solved... I think...

Thanks aholbro1: I did not know the Frod Explorer had a V6 (there are new things to learn every day)

My start up problems seem to be related to which key I use. There are 2 of them. One black (works) and one green (fits in all loks, opens the car, fits in the ignition, BUT does not start the car). Strange...

I did not get an owners manual with the car so I am not able to figure this out myself. Does anybody know if I could buy one somewhere (or if there is one to download?).
FOUND IT on the FAQ pages!!! Very Nice

I tried some "scratch remover" today. I helped a bit, but did of course not completely remove the scratches on the back of the car. Hopefully the one who did this is away on holiday (I have rented a private garage for the car from monday!!).

Is it correct that there is no glove box?

All answers will be appreciated!!

CatoBT

Last edited by CatoBT; 12-25-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Early '95's had no glove box. You do get an elastic strap in the boot to secure the owner's manual that you unfortunately don't have! Take a look at the X300 sticky's at the top, FAQ or something, I'm pretty sure there are links to the owner's and service manuals. Failing that, search the forum, I believe I saw a thread where someone scanned it.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Yes the Drivers Guide is in the FAQ at the top + service manuals etc. OK some hefty downloads, but hey.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks guys!

Found it and downloaded them.

VERY nice to find this here I must say! (Been a member of the Merc S-class club for a while now, and there is nothing like this to be found there. Well, I do get access to WIS/EPC but it really is not all that helpful).

Still haven't figured out about the green key. I does not start the car under any circumstance. From what I read in the newly downloaded manual, it should be possible to start the car? Anyway, this is a minor thing all the time I do have the orthe key. I guess the smart thing to do would be to purchase a new spare from the local Jaguar dealer (who is located only 3 km from our appartment, I just found out!).

Will stop by there on monday to ask about the washer pump.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Cato BT.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

green key is the valet key. it should start the car...

Old 12-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an odd start-up issue myself, and I'm completely puzzled as to whether it's related to the anti-theft system, door latches, or some other sort of gremlin.
starts most of the time, but sometimes it will not start for no apparent reason.

I always know when it will not start, as the interior lights remain dark upon opening the driver's door. turn the key, and the dash goes dark and no sound whatsoever.

I previously had a starter ground issue, repaired that problem, yet I still had a less frequent, but still irritating no-start issue.

after a few attempts at locking/unlocking, opening/closing the door, it starts.

I thought your issue sounded mildly similar.

also as a caution, beware of that water pump, when mine was leaking it dripped down and shorted out my alternator causing all sorts of wonk issues.
ended up replacing the pump and battery, and drying out the alternator.

turned out to be a faulty reman water pump, all was taken care of.

replacing the pump actually was not that bad

Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 AM

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I think my issues are similar. The green (Valet) key opens the car, it fits everywhere, it even turns in the ignition BUT the starter does not kick in. When using the black key everything is normal/good.

Strange...

I will change the window washer pump for a brand new one. No need to try to repair such a small thing...

Rgds

CatoBT