XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Speaker pop, cigarette lighter playing the lottery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Speaker pop, cigarette lighter playing the lottery?

Hey everyone!

I'm having a few electrical problems I just can't solve for the life of me.

First of all, I'm getting a pop and crackle from the left channel of my speakers, and it is NOT the speakers themselves as it's the entire left side, even when there is no volume. It comes and goes as it pleases. Loose connection on the amp? I checked, and couldn't find one or anything.

Also my cigarette lighters (both at the same time always) decide they want to work or not, very random. Happens a lot more when I've been driving for a while, and sometimes I'll have my phone charging and it will charge 0-20% of the time and sometimes it'll be ok for the whole ride.

Could these be related issues? No other electronics do this on the car, ever. I'm stumped, seriously!

Thanks guys!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM

Still haven't been able to find the problem. It definitely happens more when it's hot, but the speaker hasn't been popping lately, only the cigar lighters are acting up... I'm not pulling my hair out or anything, but I'd like to keep the old girl in perfect working order just to prove everyone how the build quality holds up!

Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

This shouldn't be too difficult to trace. Sort out the cigar lighter first and I suspect the popping speaker will disappear.

I would suspect the relay first - it's a single relay for both lighters. The relay is on the Right Hand Heelboard. Check the electrical diagrams to confirm which one.

There are a number of relays the same in that area. Swap the cigar lighter with another one and see if the problems goes away.

If not check the fuse (F9 LH Heelboard I think) but I think that is less likely to give an intermittent problem - but it could if dirty/corroded. Also, check the ground stud under the centre console for tightness/corrosion.

The following users liked this post:
Malihide (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
This shouldn't be too difficult to trace. Sort out the cigar lighter first and I suspect the popping speaker will disappear.

I would suspect the relay first - it's a single relay for both lighters. The relay is on the Right Hand Heelboard. Check the electrical diagrams to confirm which one.

There are a number of relays the same in that area. Swap the cigar lighter with another one and see if the problems goes away.

If not check the fuse (F9 LH Heelboard I think) but I think that is less likely to give an intermittent problem - but it could if dirty/corroded. Also, check the ground stud under the centre console for tightness/corrosion.
Thank you, I will check the ground just in case, but the problems seem to have stopped when I changed my O2 sensor... I have no idea what the heck has happened, but I won't complain. Here's hoping it won't go on me again!