XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Steering column strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts
Question Steering column strange noise

This has got me confused just a tad.

My 12/95 XJ6 Base model, 3.2ltr, has an intermitant "clunking" sound from the steering column, much like a relay chatering, but much "stronger" so maybe more like a solenoid "chattering".

This has happened three times in 2 days, and lasts about 20 seconds.

NO lights flashing, nothing odd at all, the car is just as it has always been. I cannot "make" it do it, sometimes it is there at cold start, another it was after a short trip, stop, fuel up, start up, drive off, and as I turned the wheel it started. It is more "felt" than heard, and by placing my hand on the column lock lever it was clearly felt. I relocked both levers, with no silence, then it stopped, damn.

I first thought the electronics for the steering column adjustment, HA, it does not have that, it is all manually adjustable.

I have checked for play in the system, NOTHING. It is definately an electrical noise.

Is the electrical stuff for the steering assist in that area??.

I am asking coz I dont want to go ripping it apart and blindly look for WHAT??, coz that means digging "her" XJ-S out of storage, and the never ending banter of items that need attention, in her mind, will see the X300 laid up for months.

Any ideas gratefully taken on board.

Thanks in advance to any and all.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-22-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM

Update.

I reckon the "noise" I got is the "interlock solenoid - key removal", so further investigation as to what actually operates it will be needed.

Something to do with the gearlever switch/s, as the key CANNOT be removed unless in "P", as designed, and this starts its noise in "D", or "R", which is when this is activated me thinks, to hold the key insitu.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Just read this on a search. My 95 did the same thing. It finally has essentially stopped doing it. But now I am having trouble getting the key to turn to position one which is the position that disengages the steering wheel lock. If the wheel is centered and the lock cannot engage, no problem. But if the lock is engaged when the key is inserted it is a real b..ch to get the key to make the first turn.

Do you know if the lock is controlled by a solenoid that is the method of disengagement? If so me thinks that solenoid was what was making the noise and now it has stopped working which is why no noise and why it is difficult to get the lock to disengage the column lock.

If I am right about this getting the solenoid to work right is important foryou now as when the noise goes away the lock won't work right either.

Please keep in touch with me on this problem.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 AM

AHA.

Mine stopped doing it a while back, so i have really thought no more of it.

However, the key rotating from the OFF to #1 can be a pain if the column lock is engaged and there is ANY weight on that plunger form the column.

I sometimes have slight difficulty with mine, BUT, simple "taking the weight" by rotating the steering wheel very slightly as the key is rotated does the job just fine.

Spraying (well puffing actually) some powdered graphite in the key hole has made it better slightly, but I get the feeling some fool has sprayed WD40, or similar, in there prior to me having the car, and that stuff can get sticky with dust ingress.

I am a tad paranoid since I snapped a key in one of the S2 cars waaaaay back, and fun was NOT had fixing that, and I reckon this "modern" Jag would not be any simpler, and definately not any cheaper.