Still looking

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking

I am still looking to take a plunge.
My wife may kill me for it that's why I am so careful
Been looking for awhile at that 96 XJ6 VP and "regular" 96 XJ6
Can someone please help with differences between two and if it's worth paying more for one or the other. The important thing for me is the ride quality.
Thanks!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Someone here can probably list the exact differences but, in a nutshell VDP, will have a more up-market interior: Higher quality leather, picnic trays in the rear, etc. Also, I think the VDP came standard with features that were optional on the standard car: heated seats, traction control, premium sound....that sort of thing.

IMHO, the standard interior is still pretty darn nice, though. I wouldn't specifically seek out a VDP. Seek out the best car. If it happens to be a VDP, all the better.

A VDP will usually be a bit more money but the market is so low on these cars nowadays I can't imagine a huge difference.

I don't think there will be any difference in ride quality between the two.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay, differences:
VDP has:
Lone Wheel Base (I am told it has a smoother ride, but I'm sure not much)
Boxwood wood inlays
Picnick tables
Different Leather
Sheepskin floor mats (since you're buying used, as if you could find a new one, it may not still have the mats)
Harmon/Kardon sound system
Wooden steering wheel

Now, with regards to the heated seats and traction control that's the all weather package, or something like that. I believe it was an extra $2000 when you (or rather the original buyer) bought the car. I have seen VDP's without them, that's why I am pretty sure it was an optional extra even for the VDP's.

I am with Doug on this one, and I'd suggest buying the best car. Get the one that's the right colour, style, trim, engine. I only ended up with a LWB car because it was the right colour. I was gonna go with a VDP, but the one I was originally looking at was rubbish.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You can't have everything from my experience .It took me a few years to pick up right car for me but I must say I was very uptight and picky lol
I wanted to buy a V12 engine X300 and I am Black/ Black fiend . I found such a vehicle it was Double Six and LWB and what was even nicer it came with power seat seats which was ultimate rare .
Being a chick on V12 engines due to fuel consuption ,I turned down to buy that ride.I can say I missed my 2nd dream vehicle but I always prefer '93 XJ40 over other Jags that I currently own .May be X300s are better rides in many respects than Xj40s though .
I agree with my fellow Jag Owners in their posts . Just find the right vehicle don't set your mind at VDP solely otherwise you may not be happy with your choice

Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

As they ALL said, and if the wife is "going to kill me", just grin and bear it, or read the last paragraph, your choice.

I now have an X300 "base model" 3.2ltr, and I should have got one looooooong ago, so sweet in many, many ways. I would have prefered a Daimler D Six, but with 9 in the country, odds are not good. A Sovereign maybe, or an "R", but at the end of the day, feature for $$ the XJ6 is FINE.

Had a wife like that in 1984, when I wanted the XJ-S (see the sig), she did not. I STILL GOT THE XJ-S, changed the wife, worked out cheaper. The current does her own oil checks etc, knows her XJ-S backwards, got to be happy with that, mmmmm.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Thank you ALL sooo much!
It all makes more sense for me now. I will start looking closer at the vehicle rather than the model since they are so close. And I guess I need to figure out if LWB has smoother ride (for me) and worth pursuing because of that.
btw, I noticed on rockAuto they have extremely expensive Euro. shock ( in a $300! range) for this car along with "normal" KYB and sensatracks for about $50 each.
So when I drive one and see that ride is lets say is not to my liking what shocks should I blame for the stiffer ride?
Thanks!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

The shockers on the X300 are the key to the ride as far as I can figure.

Mine has the original Bilstein, and the ride is spot on (SWB), for me. Another car in our group has KYB, also SWB, and the ride is a little harsh, for me, but he reckons mine is a tad soft, so the discussion is sadly "endless".

It is your car, and hers to a degree, and what suits others may not suit you, but as Jaguar made it is more than likely the best you will get.

Mine is getting due for shockers, and it will get Bilsteins again, they have lasted 15 years, and 160k kms, so good enough for me. The XJ-S had Boge, and now wears Gabriel, and it suits us.

The choice of the tyre brand fitted can effect ride quality as well, so you will have many things in your head when you do test drive the various cars available.

Enjoy

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-05-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Thanks again!
Will do. And you're rite that "ride" quality is a very subjective thing. Even as I think I know what I want, most of the time it is hard to find a balance between ride and handling. I never have had Bilstein on any of my cars and heard they are very good but on a stiffer side, again it most likely depends if they were designed for the specific vehicle in question.
My goal is to find a car that won't need them for awhile but it is of course is not a deciding factor.
Thanks a lot again for all your help.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Look at my 1995 VDP on classifed section. Excellent car. I looked for 1 1/2 years before I located it. Recently purchased a 2004 XJR and have to make room as we have 5 cars. Whatever year you buy 1995-97, you will be very pleased with the ride and comfort.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default X300 for sale

Hi nmiklmik! I have an X300, 1996 for sale Black on Black full leather 4.0 and is seen from the front on my avatar. If interested PM me and I will send you a full set of photos of the car with all the information, i.e. milage, condition, and any other information you would want. I will tell you also that I purchased the car out of Palm Springs, CA and there is absolutely ZERO rust on the car anywhere. Thanks, Poor Boy

Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Default XJ6 search

I just sold our 1995 XJ6 VDP. The VDP is the long wheelbase for 1995. I think the first L version was 1997. The gentleman who purchased our car had already looked at several other models. His original budget was around 3000.00. He paid 6500. for our car after seeing the condition. I guess you get what you pay for.