XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

A strange sound from the rear axle/diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Have you checked all of the bolts in the driveline connections are tight?

Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Make sure you can open the fill plug before you drain it.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

No I haven't checked properly.. And yes, definitely good advice to make sure the fill plug can be removed first 😅.

There seems to be several possibilities regarding this noise. I am hoping it's not the diff though. I really need to get this sorted soon. The summer season here in Norway is short and I don't want to drive it around too much like this. And I'm getting curious to find out what's making the noise...
Good to get some suggestions from you guys.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 AM

Rented the local garage for an hour again so I could change the diff oil..

I was a bit stressed though so I forgot to check some of the stuff I wanted to check in regards to this clunking noise.
Anyway, the fill plug was a bloody mess to get access to because its almost blocked by a stabilizer bar. Had to use one of these joints to get access and there wasn't much room to work on. Quite fiddly.

But the oil was nasty so it was about time. FORTUNATELY no sign of metal shavings in the oil. But the change of oil did nothing with the clunking sound.

I also got this free "check" on the car at a Land rover garage. I told them to search for the sound but they could not trace it either. The mechanic said that the diff seemed tight though, and that it instantly moved the wheels without any play. So, the search continues

Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM

problem solved. It was the u joints, and also the pivot bearing was bad. changed all 4 u joints and no more clunk.

One thing that puzzles me though is that the mechanic said i have some play between the diff and the driveshaft. its making the whole hub assembly move. Can't feel any vibrations, but I wonder if it's a difficult task to improve? si see there are different sized spacers here?

Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

The spacers set the camber of the rear wheels, and generally should not be changed unless your camber is off. From my enquiries some time ago, my local dealer had never sold any in the life of the X300 series to date. Their thickness will not be causing any play per se, although if the bolts arent tight enough.... unlikely I would have thought given the UJs have just been replaced

The following users liked this post:
Tcasmarcus (07-21-2019)