XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sunroof panel removal

Hi all. Having searched and looked at any available diagrams etc. I am at a loss as to how to go about removing the sunroof panel. That is, the outer metal skin that forms the part that sits flush with the actual roof. After partially opening the roof and tilting it, all I can see are four small torx head nuts fixed to four metal lips or tangs, one to each corner, which seem to hold the panel in place. However access is a problem and I wondered if maybe there is a trick that I'm missing? I'm doing a little laquer/paint repair and figure it would be much easier to do with the panel removed. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Someone else will chime in with better instructions on how to remove the inner panel to get access to those screws (I cannot remember offhand), but you have identified the only screws which hold the panel on.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:33 AM
zej
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There are actually six torx screws holding the panel in place.

Put the sunroof in tilt position.
Open the rear door and stand on your doorsill - hold the edge of the roof-lining panel and pull it straight back out parallel to the sunroof panel. It's just held in place by two spring clips, which are an absolute pain to align when reinstalling. Best get another pair of hands to help when the time comes.
You should now have access to all six torx screws from within the car. Take photos or use a marker pen to note their position on the sunroof panel before unscrewing them so that when you reinstall the panel, it's not sitting too low (looks ugly and increases wind-noise) or too high (will be unable to retract) on the roof. Learn from my mistake!

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (05-22-2011)
Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There is a small trick for re-installing the interior panel when the time comes.

1. on the interior of the headliner lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the pin on the lifting lever

2. on the interior sunroof panel lay a piece of masking tape on each side to mark the position of the flange that will ride over the pins mentioned in #1

3. during install, once you have the interior panel almost forward enough to engage the two sets of pins(the reason for placing the masking tape), place your *clean* hands, palms up on both sides of the interior panel next to the pins, push up firmly to ensure flanges are above pins, and with your fingers in the little ridge that runs along the back for leverage, move forward sharply. In other words, slam into position. Being gentle does not seem to work well at all.

You can tell when both side are done properly if neither side of the interior panel droops at the back. It is a good idea to lay the panel on a clean towel on the roof during all the sliding back and forth. It is also a good idea to constantly check your hands for dirt that might mark the panel.

There are two loop springs in the interior panel that like to hang the panel during removal. Just use a small screwdriver to depress the loop to clear the obstruction.

BTW, while the sheet metal panel is out of the rails, resist the urge to power the mechanism back and forth. You may loose alignment or jam the mechanism.

And in lieu of clean hands, one could consider masking the section of the interior panel where the hands will be placed.

Last edited by plums; 05-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (05-22-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Sunroof panel

Many thanks for the detailed instructions and to anyone who responded to my query. Been missing for a wee while so apologies for the delay in responding. Thanks again, just need the time to tackle it! Will keep you posted.