XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Sunroof will almost completely close but leaves half an inch, help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof will almost completely close but leaves half an inch, help please

Good afternoon everyone,

I suddenly ran into this problem with my 96 VDP when I came home from work today. The Sunroof was open for the whole trip from work and when I got home I went to close it and it did the usual until reaching the last half inch. It just stopped and assumed it was closed.

I've tried to close it numerous times and the same problem occurs.

Does anyone have anything that I could do to fix this? I'm scared as it's set to rain soon and this is my daily driver.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The sunroof can be closed manually in this situation. Remove the overhead console where the switch is to reveal the motor. You can then open/close the sun roof with a big screwdriver in the motor spindle housing.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Thank you b1mcp,

I did try that and the same problem still, its like the sunroof is stuck in the tracks.

I need to find some way of removing the sunroof or oiling the tracks

Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_XJ6
Thank you b1mcp,

I did try that and the same problem still, its like the sunroof is stuck in the tracks.

I need to find some way of removing the sunroof or oiling the tracks
If it helps to remove the sunroof panel in order to get at the tracks etc. you will need to open the sunroof to its tilt position, so that the back part of the panel is raised above the roof line. Then the inner lining/panel can be slid out in the space between the sliding roof panel and the actual roof. It is just held in place with some spring clips. Once removed you will see the three torx head screws on either side of the panel that holds it in place. Remove these and the outer metal panel lifts off, giving access to the rails etc. Wear latex gloves if possible to avoid marking the inner lining. Refitting is just the reverse, but test it for a nice even flush fit when closed before replacing the inner lining/panel, as you may have to adjust it slightly, just by slackening the fixing screws slightly as needed. Also, its not recommended to operate the roof without the metal panel in place as apparently this can cause problems! Hope this helps. The attached pics may clarify the above.

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof will almost completely close but leaves half an inch, help please-sunroof-1.jpg   Sunroof will almost completely close but leaves half an inch, help please-sunroof-2.jpg  

Last edited by sogood; 03-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Thank you sogood for your input.
My issue is that the sunroof was completely retracted in the open position so I am not able to put it into the tilt function.

I'm stuck bringing it forward to close it before I can tilt it.

Any ideas?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

UPDATE:

Alright Gents,

After working on the sunroof for the past 2hrs I was able to get it to close completely. I put white lithium grease on all the tracks and every possible spot that might have experience ANY friction; that includes on the rubber seal on the OUTSIDE portion of the roof.

I dont know if that made the difference but I was able to close that last 1/2 inch. I've since disconnected the motor both and promptly forgotten about my moonroof.

Perhaps when the summer hits I'll give it another go.

That's all for now, as all thanks a million for the feedback

Cheers,

Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Apologies, but I misunderstood your original post and thought that your sunroof operated, but just didn't close fully, didn't realise that it was stuck.Anyway,glad to see you got sorted, albeit temporarily. At least you will stay dry! Best of luck with the overhaul when the weather permits.

Last edited by sogood; 03-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.