XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Transmission, electronics or fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission, electronics or fuel issue?

Hello Gentlemen/women!

So I have my first Jaguar a nice red 96 XJ6.

It had few problems when I got it. Sway bar bushings, needed an oil change and still needs a chain tensioner gasket replacement.

However, it stalled kicked up the 1775 and 1024 codes. It went to limp and I drove it home.

Disconnected and reconnected the battery. The codes remained, but the car operated fine.

Now I'm having acceleration issues particularly when trying to accelerate going uphill.

When I try to pass a car it seems tentative and hesitates throughout the process.

I've spoken too much already, any ideas from the well traveled?

Thank you in advance.
Scott

Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Scott,

You appear NEW, so welcome to our world.

The RED jags are usually the fastest HAHAHA. Time for a drink me thinks.

The codes I have no idea, sorry.

The hesitation could be numerous things.

As the mileage is unknown I will jump in the deep end.

1) Fuel filter blocked, or just plain OLD.
2) TPS (throttle position sensor) under the throttle body, is losing the plot, they do that. Old age again, AND, oil ingress from the throttle shaft above it reeks havoc with its signal clarity.
3) Spark plugs are old, or gapped wrong.
4) O2 sensor issues.
5) Blocked cat converters.

Being a 4ltr, the trans is electronic controlled, and may be some silly stuff, but I seriously doubt it.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission, electronics or fuel issue?

Thanks Grant!

NEW doesn't cover it! I like the RED though.

I'm getting the filter changed now.

I've read a bit about the codes and some of your suggestions are evident in other replies, i.e. TPS.

Your comment about the transmission is inferring the transmission is problematic?

Or can the electronics set the transmission askew.

I have tried to kick in the downshift to pass another vehicle and had the car almost stall. As I let up on the gas the transmission responded, but not too smoothly.

Like everyone, I'm just trying to look for any answer but to replace a transmission.

I just bought it in August and have put about 1500 miles on it. It's at 143,300 or so.

Thank you for your help.

I believe we need to visit Jaguar in the spring to have an evaluation. I'm putting it away for the upstate New York winter.

Scott

Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Scott,

That has all the hallmarks of a TPS being oil filled (common), and that gives a "fuzzy" signal to the various ECU's.

The TPS may also be "out of synch" with the system. I have only read about that and it requires dealer intervention to rest it. Others will advise on that for your market as ours is quite different.

The transmissions are no more problematic than any othe early ZF unit. They LOVE fresh fluid, and a filter every 2-3 years.

I have cleaned these TPS units with good success, some have had NO luck, so take a deep breath.

The coils can cause all sorts of issues, but usually the dash does a "starwars dance" when one or more goes hissy.

The fuel pump is getting to the "average" mileage/age for failure, so keep that in the back of your mind.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 11-11-2012 at 02:28 AM.