XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Transmission stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission stuck in park

I just replaced my starter and I had to lower the transmission to get one of the bolts. i put a jack under it while I took off the bolts to the transmission mount i was able to get to the Starter bolt. I put everything back together and now it does not come out of park unless I unscrew the safety bolt and poke it with something sharp and long. Could y solenoid gotton damaged or just the line that goes to the transmission ? any thoughts?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Do you hear a small click when stepping on the brake pedal with the gearshift in "P"? That would be the solenoid releasing the gear shift.

If your brake lights are simultaneously inoperative, that's an important clue.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Hmmm... Im not hearing a click when i step on the brake. Am i suppose to hear it? brake lights seem to be working fine. any ideas?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

As Doug said.

IF the brakes lights are ALL working then the issue is more than likely the solenoid is just having a hissy moment.

I am convinced, reading what you did, that the work done for the starter motor has NOTHING to do with this issue.

Mine did this, and then it went OK, then OFF again, really got up my nose, seriously. Drove it around for weeks with the ski-slope off, so I could see what was actually happening. I was convinced it was the relay (there are 2 at the RH front of the gearlever), one for this thing, the other for the auto door locking and something else I forget right now. Swapped them around, no noticeable change to the happenings.

Eventually I got so fed up I removed the solenoid and plunger. YES, I know kids playing in the car can knock it out of gear etc etc, but I dont have kids in the car, EVER, and they should NEVER be left alone in a car anyway, and I have taken this decission wholly on my own head.

It has made life much simpler, especially when wanting to move the car slightly, to simply reach in and pop it out of "P", without having to go get the keys and switch it on etc.

The following users liked this post:
Tcasmarcus (05-26-2017)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Ok I figured it out, I was told to check are #5 (15 amp), #7 (15 amp) in the driver side heelboard fuse box and fuse #3 (15 amp) and #7 (20 amp) in the passenger heelboard fuse box. Those fuse boxes are under the carpet cover between the bottom of the rear seat cushion and the floor.
Their Happened to be a blown fuse or some odd reason not sure why it blew this fuse but #5 was blown.

thanks for all the advice.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
As Doug said.

IF the brakes lights are ALL working then the issue is more than likely the solenoid is just having a hissy moment.

I am convinced, reading what you did, that the work done for the starter motor has NOTHING to do with this issue.

Mine did this, and then it went OK, then OFF again, really got up my nose, seriously. Drove it around for weeks with the ski-slope off, so I could see what was actually happening. I was convinced it was the relay (there are 2 at the RH front of the gearlever), one for this thing, the other for the auto door locking and something else I forget right now. Swapped them around, no noticeable change to the happenings.

Eventually I got so fed up I removed the solenoid and plunger. YES, I know kids playing in the car can knock it out of gear etc etc, but I dont have kids in the car, EVER, and they should NEVER be left alone in a car anyway, and I have taken this decission wholly on my own head.

It has made life much simpler, especially when wanting to move the car slightly, to simply reach in and pop it out of "P", without having to go get the keys and switch it on etc.

Apologies for bringing up this old thread, but dear Sir, I believe you have the answer to my problem here. I started getting this clicking noise every time I pushed the brake pedal. A sign that the microswitch was about to fail, according to other forum threads. I decided to leave it, but now it sometimes clicks frantically, like 10 times when I push the brake pedal, and here the other day it was even stuck in Park for a few seconds.

So I started thinking I should definitely change that microswitch, but if I could simply disengage the whole clicking inferno, it would be a much better solution for me. Could you please be so kind as to describe the procedure for this ? Not even sure what you mean by the "plunger"..

Thank you