XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Trouble starting my 96 XJ6 this morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trouble starting my 96 XJ6 this morning

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any input on this issue. I went out this morning to start my car and it would not start. The engine would turn over and almost fire, this continued for about 15min, eventually I was able to start my car.

It seemed like the firing order was all screwed up but the car now runs like a top.

I should say that a week ago I had a coil die and I replaced. The car has since run amazing. This little issue is the only problem I've had with the car.

Is there anything that would cause this problem? Maybe something that specifically controls the firing order, that I can test/replace?

I thought that perhaps water made its way into my tank, so I added the STP water remover.

I'm lost at this point and starting to become worried.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you all so very much

Old 12-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

A few things are becoming a tad common of sorts.

Not knowing the distance travelled, I will list what has been discussed.

Crank Angle Sensor, timing cover front on the RH side. They do just go legs up at about 100k miles, and no apparent reason.

The fuel pump, and or its relay. Listen for the whirr of the pump in the boot when the ignition is switched ON. As the pump is inside the tank, you may have to have your head right near the tank, left side of centre.

The fuel filter is waaaay past renew time.

The cam angle sensor, that whizzy thing on the RH front edge of the engine where a distributor lived in a previous life. They are starting to give grief for some owners. It is an item that is "timed", and controls teh injection firing sequence.

Inside the RH under bonnet fuse box is a Blue relay. It is an ignition relay, and among other things, it supplies ignition voltage to the crank angle sensor, and do get hissy as age creeps in. Either clean the internal contacts, or simply replace that relay.

Moisture in the fuel, which I reckon you have addressed.

Plain old and tired spark plugs, and/or incorrectly gapped spark plugs.

There may well be other things which others will list.

You will need to go about this systematically, and I always start with the simple things, spark plugs, fuel filter, then move on quietly to other items.