XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Unable to start my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to start my car

For 6 days now I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my 1995 Xj6 with 67k miles. Any help will be greatly appreciated - towing it to the jag dealer has $$$$ written all over it :-(.

I actually caused the problem. I think. The car was running fine. I swapped the radio for one that was working. The radio install was fine. After that the car would not start. I have checked or determined the following:

I wish I had left the bloody radio alone!!

The engine cracks fine.

The RPM shows about 200 when cranking

Oil pressure gauge is normal while cranking. Thank god.

When starter fluid is sprayed into the air intake -the engine does ignite that fuel. So spark is good.

For some reason there is now no second chirp when i lock the car -I am sure there used to be. Why did this change?

I would love to be able to FIND the friggin inertia switch -but i cant not. I have looked on BOTH sides of my early 1995 foot-well panels -and I see no switch at all?? Where is that switch?

I have checked lost of relays and fuses -fuel pump especially.

Idea please?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info

I DID find the inertia switch. This assembly IS indeed located in the right hand footwell in the usa at least...no need to even take out the plastic thingy -i did but the top of the switch is a smooth rubber boot covering the switch - it was still depressed...it can be reached over the top and in the corner between carpet and plastic.

The security system is no behaving normally. a beep and a chirp when locked.

The car still does not start :-(

Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default non starter

Hi there. If you say your alarm/ locking etc. is not working right since you did the radio, it sounds a bit like your immobiliser is not disarming itself, thus preventing the car from starting. I dont know what sort of set up you have or how it functions, but is it possible you blew a fuse on the alarm/central locking or associated system when doing the radio? I would check ALL fuses, not just visually but pull them one at a time and check them with a circuit tester for continuity. Maybe unhook the battery for a bit and see if the system will reset itself? A long shot but I think thats where your problem might lie. Best of luck with it.