XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Update on my curious memory seat issues and a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Update on my curious memory seat issues and a question

Hi all

Mine is a '97 LWB ex-Singapore 3.2 with a million owners etc...

When I got it one of the issues I asked about here involved a mystery of seats and mirrors and steering wheel resetting themselves when you unlocked with the remote, also the seat goes back on exit but doesn't reset itself when you enter. My car does not have the memory buttons on the door so it was the conclusion of the forum that some time in the past, a previous owner changed the driver's switchpack for one without memory buttons. I know the seat has the memory module under it.

So the switchpacks with memory buttons are impossible to get in this country so I ended up importing one from the UK. I swapped it out today and I found that the mirrors and steering wheel are now operating correctly, and it no longer resets when you unlock with the remote, however the seat positions are not memorised and the seat doesn't move when you try and recall settings. So we are further along but not 100%. Also the batteries I fitted to my remote lasted 24 hours and are dead, but that's another issue.

So, is it possible that the switchpack I fitted, which incidentally has no light on the memory button like I was expecting, nor does it beep when you press it, is it possible that it is from a different year car and therefore not 100% compatible with my car?

Cheers

Chris

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I don't believe there was any meaningful difference in the switch pack from 95 to 97. The part number should be DBC11419 stamped on the top flange above the mirror switch.

The fact that you do not see the memory LED lit or hear a beep suggests either a switch pack or wiring harness issue. You do have the key in the ignition in the off position and door closed when trying to set the memory right? Also try to turn the column switch to off as well.

If still no joy then using a voltmeter check the following either at the switch or the seat controller.

When the memory set button is pressed you should have 12v on pin 5 of the larger of the two switch pack connectors. If not the switch is faulty.

Next check that you have 12v present on pin 21 of the larger blue connector on the seat controller when the memory set button is pressed. If not then you have a break in the wiring from the switch to the controller.

Next check pin 8 of the larger blue connector and it should be 12v with the memory button inactive and should go to ground for 4-5 seconds when the memory button is depressed. If not then there is an issue with the controller.

If ok, check that you have the same readings on pin 14 of the larger switch pack connector. If you do then your LED is faulty, if not then the wiring harness is an issue.

The wiring between the switch pack and the controller would be my chief suspect, followed swiftly by the switch pack.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Thanks for that, I will pull the switch and have a look

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds to me like there is a potentiometer issue in the seat. If I remember correctly, if any of the four pots in the seat were "off track", then the light would not illuminate. There was a bulletin issued on checking the pots in 11/1999. It is labeled 15-50. Search in the X300 area for the bulletin. It gives the diag steps for checking the pots. It is quite an informative bulletin and one of the better ones Jaguar produced. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I thought the seats shouldn't reposition until the key is stuck in the steering column -then move back to exit when the key is pulled out.

I get the memory light, but not the memory seat positions when starting.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 PM

You know I actually don't mind the seat not moving as I have adjusted my driving position so it does not matter. Happy the mirrors do not move when I unlock the car