XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Weights on outside of wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Weights on outside of wheels?

I haven't been able to find new wheels for my MY97 VDP but I replaced its worn-out winter tires (no snow this season) with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position all-seasons. The tire shop (chain-store) didn't put weights on the outside of the wheels. They claim they don't need to because their balancing machine is "the best." Hmmm...they also didn't line up the weight markers (yellow dot) with the valve stem, so of course I'm rolling my eyes and will bring the car back in tomorrow.

So...is there anything special about the VDP that requires wheel weights on the outside as well as the inside?

Thanks~

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Weights on outside of wheels?

you can put weights only on the inside.. but i prefer on both sides gets a more accurate balance out of it..
It doesn't mean the tire is out of balance..

Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Weights on the inside are the new fashion these days, and they probably presumed you didn't want them on the outside due to the value of the car. To me, if they can balance the tires/wheels and you don't see those nasty looking weights, then by all means...do it.

Every time they balance after a rotation, they have to pry those old chunks off your wheels, and the rims get scratched, dinged, gouged...and all those other bad things.

If i could recommend a drive at all speeds and give it a good test. if it rides smooth, no need to worry your little head any further.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

97 VDP wheels are made for weights on inside and outside of wheel
you "Will" get a better balance from the wheels like this
only time i ever see wheels without weights on the outside is when customer request to not have them on the outside due to cosmetic looks or possible damage to wheels while removing and installing them
this is why Jaguars came with 2 peice wheel weights as they do not damage wheels during install or removal of weights
Hope this helps

Old 03-14-2008, 06:03 AM

Thank you ibjags...for your comments and respectful attitude. Somewhat rare on these boards I've found.

A nasty door ding will be removed on Monday; afterwards I'll take it back to the tire shop and make them re-do the wheels correctly. An additional telephone call to the Tire Rack about this installer and my local Jag dealer for more wheel balancing information should be helpful too.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Got to bear in mind you are more of a "true" driver. Most folks drive this cars for the looks and prestige. Folks don't put the weights on the outside because the tire boys hammer those things down without regard to the wheel.

I'm one of the folks that says if you can balance it with just inner weights, go for it. They should allow you by the balance machine so that you have the peace of mind that it's dead on. The machine is easy to read and it may make you feel better having first hand knowledge. But it really comes down to asthetics.

Of course, they may treat you like some "chick" that doesn't know what she's doing. (But that would never happen in today's world!) It could be the double standard. You've got to do everything as well as the best guy can and do it in high-heels and short skirt.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

since i was the only other commenter besides jag-g when you responded, were you referring to me as being disrespectful wildcat? [sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-12-2008, 06:33 AM

I had the shop relocate the wheels correctly, placing the yellow weight marker on the tires next to the valve stems. My local Jag dealership gave me a big bag of various-sized wheel weights so the tire shop used those to strategically place weights on the outsides of the wheels. IMO the exterior weights do not distract from the looks.

The drive home later that day was much more smooth and quiet - not even a slight vibration at any speed. I do get lots of "road feel" which I have mixed feelings about actually, but at least what I feel is the road and not a vibration.

Thanks for the tips!